What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Valheru

Coach
Restriction of trade yet the AFL which has the same workplace legislation has a draft. Go figure.

It just goes to show the NRL suits are pussies that get pushed around by the RLPA.

Didn't it actually go to court?

No one form the AFL has challenged it thus it is still in place.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Didn't it actually go to court?

No one form the AFL has challenged it thus it is still in place.
I’m sure in the 20 odd years they have had a draft there’s been more than a few disgruntled players that would have got out of it if they could have. And wouldn’t such a ruling make the AFL draft illegal too? If so why is it still in place? It’s time to challenge that ridiculous court ruling from 30 odd years ago.

adamkungl

Immortal
Can't work out why anyone want a draft. Who gives a shit if Titans are rubbish for a few years. Put up or shut up, it's a competition.
No offence to Titans fans - Imo the club's new management WILL dig them out of this hole, Holbrook is a quality operator.

We need a trade window to put some order to the current shitshow, but forcing young blokes to sink their career into basketcases to even up the competition is something I want no part in.

Inept managements shouldn't be handed a free pass.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Can't work out why anyone want a draft. Who gives a shit if Titans are rubbish for a few years. Put up or shut up, it's a competition.
No offence to Titans fans - Imo the club's new management WILL dig them out of this hole, Holbrook is a quality operator.

We need a trade window to put some order to the current shitshow, but forcing young blokes to sink their career into basketcases to even up the competition is something I want no part in.

are there any other professional competetions in the world that has a salary cap but no draft? they go hand in hand. are basically useless without each other

no name

Coach
Hayne being the reason the Titans became shit is one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard. The Gold Coast were rubbish long before he turned up. All sports fail there, I don’t understand why they still keep trying.
Henry got that team of plodders to punch well above their weight and make the finals in 2016 before the club forced Hayne onto Henry.
While they weren’t exactly heavyweights, they had a great attitude and were on the way to building a great team. Win, lose or draw you could see everyone putting in every game.
Fast forward 12 months and Hayne got the coach sacked before leaving himself after the team totally underperformed.

Other factors come into it, but there is no doubt in many Titans supporters minds that signing Hayne was a definite turning point in the club and not for good reasons.

SBD82

Coach

This.

A draft also takes away the incentive for local NRL teams to develop local juniors.

I can’t speak for every team, but the 2010 GF tasted much sweeter because of how many local juniors were a part of it.

no name

Coach

Yeah, f**k a draft, the Titans just need to operate smarter.
Agree on a trade window so players aren’t signing over 12 months in advance and then having the new club try and pressure the old club into a release.

Tweed Titan

Bench

Of course you don’t want a draft, it would be a disadvantage to your club.

adamkungl

Immortal
Of course you don’t want a draft, it would be a disadvantage to your club.

Would it? How so? We gonna lose all our local juniors to the Titans?
I'm not interested in a contrived comp like the AFL where they stack expansion teams with handouts to ensure they succeed.

are there any other professional competetions in the world that has a salary cap but no draft? they go hand in hand. are basically useless without each other

Not sure?

I don't see how the salary cap is useless without a draft, it limits (not completely discounts) the ability for wealthy clubs to dominate the competition, and limits (not completely prevents) poorer clubs from sending themselves broke trying to keep up.
But ultimately you still need to be well operated, not necessarily wealthy, to succeed.

And, looking overseas, despite a draft, the same clubs still sit on the top and bottom of the NFL for years on end. Proof enough that even with more artificially contrived assistance there are still shit clubs and good clubs.
In the NFL there are 5 franchises with 1 or 0 playoff appearances in the 2010s.
And 5 that have made playoffs 6 or 7 times, with Pats winning 3 titles.

Pretty comparable results to the NRL Roosters/Storm and Tigers/Titans.

Billythekid

First Grade
Henry got that team of plodders to punch well above their weight and make the finals in 2016 before the club forced Hayne onto Henry.
While they weren’t exactly heavyweights, they had a great attitude and were on the way to building a great team. Win, lose or draw you could see everyone putting in every game.
Fast forward 12 months and Hayne got the coach sacked before leaving himself after the team totally underperformed.

Other factors come into it, but there is no doubt in many Titans supporters minds that signing Hayne was a definite turning point in the club and not for good reasons.

It’s undeniable. Damn well near the first week he played for you it was like watching a different team. It was incredible just how immediate his negative impact was on the club.

Your assessment is spot on. You were a team on the rise with mostly unknown talent and signing Hayne turned the whole club around. Sucks because it felt like you’s were building to something special and building it from the ground up.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Er, what?

Neither of which he achieved by signing with Souths for half the deal wests offered.

Could the NRL legally have refused to register his contract due to market value concerns? Legit question.

On the first point. He could never achieve what he wants from a football point of view if he went to wests

Most sane people can see the start difference in squad quality

2nd point,
Just because a bottom feeding club has to make a over market value offer doesn’t make that offer the benchmark

He has signed for market value with Souths

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Not sure?

I don't see how the salary cap is useless without a draft, it limits (not completely discounts) the ability for wealthy clubs to dominate the competition, and limits (not completely prevents) poorer clubs from sending themselves broke trying to keep up.
But ultimately you still need to be well operated, not necessarily wealthy, to succeed.

And, looking overseas, despite a draft, the same clubs still sit on the top and bottom of the NFL for years on end. Proof enough that even with more artificially contrived assistance there are still shit clubs and good clubs.
In the NFL there are 5 franchises with 1 or 0 playoff appearances in the 2010s.
And 5 that have made playoffs 6 or 7 times, with Pats winning 3 titles.

Pretty comparable results to the NRL Roosters/Storm and Tigers/Titans.

Im not going to pretend to know much about the NFL, however there are double the amount of teams as the NRL

In no way am i saying a draft will stop shit teams being shit. No matter what there will always be strong clubs and weak clubs. I mean knowing my club we'd probably trade draft picks 1 & 5 to the Cowboys for Justin O'Neil

However I also feel that simply saying it wont change anything is fairly short sighted. It does appear to be a fairly unique situation that our game is in compared to other professional comps with a salary cap. Since the introduction of TPAs it feels like theres been a huge shift in the competitions evenness.

BadnMean

Juniors
I don't like drafts personally. I don't think they are a great answer.

How about transparency on player salaries & TPA's, as in public? That way we could have cap much harder too cheat without the law/taxman coming down hard on cheaters.

In the USA, players unions push for this in order to create a better bargaining position for the players.

Funny that RL is so afraid of it... Now which segment would be afraid of their real salaries coming to light... (player managers & players who know they are on shonky deals)

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think you have to go either one way or the other. Either accept there will always be haves and have nots and that some clubs are richer than others. Or set it up so all clubs have to operate on exactly the same expenditure in every area and create a genuine even playing field. At the moment we pretend to be B) when in reality we are A) and that is what annoys people. Dont say you are what you arent!

Latest posts