What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Season news 2019-20

Rich102

Staff member
If the above is true, and I have no doubt it is, it just shows the Warriors have learned nothing; despite their "all in" rubbish.
The facts stare them in the face and they look the other way.

waipiro

Juniors
I think Papaali was really good in 2018 and like a few others really played poorly this year.
But at just 21 i feel he has plenty of improvement in him as a 80 minute back rower.
hopefully this year was a bit of "second year syndrome"....

Fufu Andronez

First Grade

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Te Maire Martin has been forced into retirement at the age of 24

Latrell Mitchell expected to ink a 1 year deal with Souths today

LeagueNut

First Grade
Latrell Mitchell expected to ink a 1 year deal with Souths today
It's all speculation, but I do wonder whether his rejection of the Tigers offer highlights another difference between the 'haves' and 'have nots' of the competition. How are the clubs at the wrong end of the ladder expected to improve when not even money talks any more?

JJ

Immortal
They tried the draft, wasn’t it Terry Hill that took them to court?

Big Marn

Juniors
They tried the draft, wasn’t it Terry Hill that took them to court?
Decades ago yeah. I think a draft is too complicated for the simple minded NRL head honchos. A trade window might be a better idea.

Rich102

Staff member
To benefit the lower-ranked teams it has to be a system that forces players to move.
Otherwise all the best players will gravitate to three or four clubs.
This will lead to predictable games and lower attendance figures.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
To benefit the lower-ranked teams it has to be a system that forces players to move.
Otherwise all the best players will gravitate to three or four clubs.
This will lead to predictable games and lower attendance figures.
It would have to be rookies. No way you could force established players to uproot and go to a shit club. Imagine telling a Wade Graham or a James Tedesco you have to go and play in NZ under Kearney.

Then the problem will be, after a couple of years once the rookie has got their experience they bugger off to the successful clubs anyway.

Case in point, the Gold Coast Sums in the AFL.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I’m not a fan of bringing a draft in, it works in USA but there are vast differences between how they operate and how we do

Kids grow up wanting to play for a certain team and can come through that clubs system from a young age and make it, the USA route isn’t like that with school, college, pro. Guys like the Trbojevic lads live and breathe their club and that’s not something I want to lose from our game. In the Warriors case imagine watching a guy like Harris-Tevita come through your juniors and have hopes for him then he hits draft age and is gone

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Not NRL, but Folau has signed with Catalans Dragons in the Super League

Wigan immediately announced that their home game against Catalans will be a gay pride game lol