What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The middle and who gets the 13 jumper this season?

If there’s an area John Morris must be losing sleep over is how he’s going to plug the middle of the defence this season.

We lost 3 key players in the off season that patrol that area and have done a huge job in stopping teams steam roll through the middle.

1. Paul Gallen
2. Matt Prior
3. Jayden Brailey

We know Blayke will take over from Jayden in playing hooker and though Blayke is seen as a better attacking player than Jayden. The downside is he’s a lot smaller and not noted for the same defensive qualities as his brother.

Matt Prior really moved up quickly and really stalled prop forwards get any sort of forward momentum.

And Gallen in his prime basically tackled anything that moved for 80minutes. His motor was unbelievable.

So what’s our starting forward pack, rotations and who’s best equipped to do the best job for us in the 13 jumper?

Williams?
Magoulias?
Rudolph?

Or is there another player your thinking of or do we not have the answer in the squad at the moment and this will be our Achilles Heel to a successful season?

Special K

Coach
Prior was busted last year, Gallen was slow. Our ruck defensive was just awful and cost us momentum. I am hopeful new faces will help.

If Billy can handle the work load at 13 he would be great but I have concerns about how he will go in the middle for big minutes. Jack Williams went backwards last season. Woods is a catcher in the defensive line. It’s the biggest concern for us. Ideally we can unearth a middle who will win the ruck and hit hard.

ghoti

Bench
Uele and Williams bring a lot of defensive energy to the middle, Williams needs to work on his timing and reads though. I think if Boogs gets back in form he's really the Prior type defender, not sure if he gets used as a middle forward this year to plug that hole.

I'd like to see Morris going with a Willims/Magoulis middle rotation (if Magoo kicks on in firsts) as a parallel to how most coaches rotate hookers: worker and closer first and last 20, ball player in the middle 40 (ish). I think both of them benefit from less minutes..

Ads

First Grade
8. Fifita
10. Woods
13. Williams
14. Billy
15. Toby
16. Uele

Billy to sub Williams and/or Blayke. Woods to play the steady role with Toby replacing him. Fifita and Uele subbing and playing the same role.

chewsta

First Grade
The only one you wouldnt be worried filling the gap is Wade, but then that nulifies his attack massively with a much bigger defensive load.

Its a big step up to NRL but Rudolf looked very impressive defensively for the Jets. Quick off the line and never missed his target. Has a big motor and some skill with the ball in hand too. He is also a fair bit bigger and a different body shape all together compared to the shorter stockier Boogs/Magoo types. I dont think Rudolf would let anyone down to be honest.

Bigger bodies either side of Brailey will be less of a weakness to target.

Stake Removed

First Grade
Williams reminds me of a young Gallen, he us was up down first couple of seasons.
Mistakes in both of them, but that can be sorted out.
With Williams starting he might learn to pace himself he has plenty of potential

Inferno

Coach
8. Fifita
10. Woods
13. Williams
14. Billy
15. Toby
16. Uele

Billy to sub Williams and/or Blayke. Woods to play the steady role with Toby replacing him. Fifita and Uele subbing and playing the same role.

I'm happy with this. I thought Williams was strong defensively it was his shit hands that f**ked us in 2019.

SadShark

Bench
I'm happy with this. I thought Williams was strong defensively it was his shit hands that f**ked us in 2019.
The bloke can sit down & see replays of what we saw in his defensive faults.
No lateral movement & f**ked reads on the Dummy Half. Hope Bomber works on this with him.

taipan

Referee
Williams reminds me of a young Gallen, he us was up down first couple of seasons.
Mistakes in both of them, but that can be sorted out.
With Williams starting he might learn to pace himself he has plenty of potential

Agree,but IMO Williams is a confidence player.He needs to string a couple end on end, and the worlds his oyster.

BrisbaneShark

Juniors
If there’s an area John Morris must be losing sleep over is how he’s going to plug the middle of the defence this season.

We lost 3 key players in the off season that patrol that area and have done a huge job in stopping teams steam roll through the middle.

1. Paul Gallen
2. Matt Prior
3. Jayden Brailey

We know Blayke will take over from Jayden in playing hooker and though Blayke is seen as a better attacking player than Jayden. The downside is he’s a lot smaller and not noted for the same defensive qualities as his brother.

Matt Prior really moved up quickly and really stalled prop forwards get any sort of forward momentum.

And Gallen in his prime basically tackled anything that moved for 80minutes. His motor was unbelievable.

So what’s our starting forward pack, rotations and who’s best equipped to do the best job for us in the 13 jumper?

Williams?
Magoulias?
Rudolph?

Or is there another player your thinking of or do we not have the answer in the squad at the moment and this will be our Achilles Heel to a successful season?
Had not thought of Rudolph as 13 But could be worth a go. Good big man always beats a good smaller man.

R-15-3

Juniors
I think Brailey will be a great hooker but I’d be tempted to start the season off with Billy opening the first 15-20 min at hooker. He has lots of energy about him and think he could really get our forwards moving early, tackle his ass off then bring on Brailey for the rest of the game and use Billy as our utility HIA player off the bench when needed.

carcharias

Immortal
I see Shaun Lane ex Reggie is looking for a gig.
I thought he was starting to look alright the last couple of seasons.
Hates us but the guard has changed a lot.

carinashark

First Grade
I’m hopeful Margoulias will be reliable defender. Opposition will go looking for Brailey so I would try to keep Margoulias on at the same time ,rotate him to lock or second row. Not long spells but enough to stiffen up the middle. We are light on thats for sure.

carcharias

Immortal
I’m hopeful Margoulias will be reliable defender. Opposition will go looking for Brailey so I would try to keep Margoulias on at the same time ,rotate him to lock or second row. Not long spells but enough to stiffen up the middle. We are light on thats for sure.

he reminds me a bit of Robbie Farah
Might just be the nose

cb4

First Grade
I like this. Provides cover for a green 9 as well.
Billy absolutely does not want to play 9 but will if needed.
What I can tell you so far there have been sessions with Brailey "injured" and Chad has played 9 and Billy has gone to 6, as well as Billy going to 9.
But he is a huge human, I wouldn't expect great feats from him at 9.

sharkman73

Juniors
Billy absolutely does not want to play 9 but will if needed.
What I can tell you so far there have been sessions with Brailey "injured" and Chad has played 9 and Billy has gone to 6, as well as Billy going to 9.
But he is a huge human, I wouldn't expect great feats from him at 9.

Interesting about Chad training at 9.

Agree on Billy, definitely a stop gap solution at 9.

Latest posts