What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Joey Manu the best centre in the NRL?

If there’s one thing this thread highlights, it’s how shit the pool of centres is in the NRL.

Manu is good and he’s definitely a future megastar, but he’s been playing NRL for about 15 minutes. If he’s considered amongst the best at this stage then there’s issues.

Manu made his first grade debut in 2016 against the Warriors in Round 15. To date he's played 71 first grade matches. Hardly "15 minutes".

That said, I will agree with you about the dearth of quality centres in the NRL.

nick87

Coach
To answer the question directly, I think everyone at their absolute peak, Latrell is the best centre in the league and Beej is number 2

but the rub with both of those guys if you don’t always get their best. Latrell isn’t always engaged and Beej is prone to having those games which are mind numbingly horrific

I think Manu is probably the most reliably consistent centre in the game... his floor is probably like a 7/10 game but I don’t think his ceiling is as high as two I mentioned

So I guess it boils down to this for me... a one game winner takes all... of gamble on higher variance players like Latrell or Beej who if they play at their peak, will win you the game.

I were an expansion team needing to establish a culture and a standard of week to week excellence, my first centre picked would be Manu

Last edited:

redVinme

Juniors
To answer the question directly, I think everyone at their absolute peak, Latrell is the best centre in the league and Beej is number 2

but the rub with both of those guys if you don’t always get their best. Latrell isn’t always engaged and Beej is prone to having those games which are mind numbingly horrific

I think Manu is probably the most reliably consistent centre in the game... his floor is probably like a 7/10 game but I don’t think his ceiling is as high as two I mentioned

So I guess it boils down to this for me... a one game winner takes all... of gamble on higher variance players like Latrell or Beej who if they play at their peak, will win you the game.

I were an expansion team needing to establish a culture and a standard of week to week excellence, my first centre picked would be Manu

As a supporter of the team with the worst centres in the comp I totally agree. Manu is an excellent all round footballer with the right amount of aggression.

He would be my number one replacement for our plodders.

On that note I do think turbo is right up there and would be very dominant if there permanently. Katoni Staggs in the future too I'd say if he stays in the centres.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The lack of quality centres is a direct correlation to the boring style of play we have now, with no second phase attack centres rarely get the ball with any opportunity to do anything other than pass or grubber to the winger. No wonder every centre wants to be a full back!

THE CHAMP

First Grade

Haha bj in the top 2?

BadnMean

Juniors
Haha bj in the top 2?

He's won Dally M centre of the year 2 of the last 4 seasons.

Been in a team that finished top 4 in 2 of the last 4 seasons.

Been part of the games most destructive edge pairing, Leipana, over that period.

Was in the most consistent & disciplined form of his career up until neck injury. Then came back & was damaging in the finals run.

As the poster said, considering players at their best, who has a stronger case than BJ to be up in the top centres?

THE CHAMP

First Grade
He's won Dally M centre of the year 2 of the last 4 seasons.

Been in a team that finished top 4 in 2 of the last 4 seasons.

Been part of the games most destructive edge pairing, Leipana, over that period.

Was in the most consistent & disciplined form of his career up until neck injury. Then came back & was damaging in the finals run.

As the poster said, considering players at their best, who has a stronger case than BJ to be up in the top centres?

Dally m awards?

You know Payne Hass won the prop of the year yeah?
Is he top 2?

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
So you'd have taken Payne Haas over JWH and SST at the start of the 2019 season would you? :rolleyes:

Your comment makes no sense. My comment is a post what happened in the 2019 season, not before. Sure those 2 I would not swap for Haas but he is right up there. Check his weekly stats if you aren't convinced. I think he would be an even better player surrounded by our squad than the Bronco's.