What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

The market value stuff doesn't fly for me, we can't be in a situation where a player has to take an offer from club x because they offered 50k more than club y. Players have a right to a preference.

The key issue here as usual is the inconsistency of the NRL which yet again has favoured souths

I don't see how you can say the NRL have favoured us when we are literally one of three clubs in the history of the game to get f**ked over by this whole market value bullshit. The very first time it was applied was when Inglis came to us from the Storm and we had to release Beau Champion in order to fit him in because the value of our first contract was less than what he could've earned elsewhere.

The two other times its been mentioned were with Folau to Parra and Benji at the Tigers. I can't think of another case of it ever being raised.

No one said boo when Tedesco took a pay cut to go to the Roosters. No one kicked up a stink when Mark Gasnier signed a heavily back ended contract at the Dragons in order to fit under the cap and then retired at the end of his first season once they won the comp. There are literally hundreds of examples of the NRL not applying this rule.

You could argue that they overlook the whole market value thing every time a player doesn't test the market. I mean, what would someone like Victor Radley or Joey Manu be worth to the likes of the Tigers or the Gold Coast and yet they've signed up at the Roosters for half of what they could get elsewhere.

Fact is, it's not always about money and if you start assigning values to each player and making them sign for what they could get from desperate clubs, then you get to a point where nobody could afford to field a decent team.

SBD82

Coach
I don't see how you can say the NRL have favoured us when we are literally one of three clubs in the history of the game to get f**ked over by this whole market value bullshit. The very first time it was applied was when Inglis came to us from the Storm and we had to release Beau Champion in order to fit him in because the value of our first contract was less than what he could've earned elsewhere.

The two other times its been mentioned were with Folau to Parra and Benji at the Tigers. I can't think of another case of it ever being raised.

No one said boo when Tedesco took a pay cut to go to the Roosters. No one kicked up a stink when Mark Gasnier signed a heavily back ended contract at the Dragons in order to fit under the cap and then retired at the end of his first season once they won the comp. There are literally hundreds of examples of the NRL not applying this rule.

You could argue that they overlook the whole market value thing every time a player doesn't test the market. I mean, what would someone like Victor Radley or Joey Manu be worth to the likes of the Tigers or the Gold Coast and yet they've signed up at the Roosters for half of what they could get elsewhere.

Fact is, it's not always about money and if you start assigning values to each player and making them sign for what they could get from desperate clubs, then you get to a point where nobody could afford to field a decent team.
Glenn Stewart?

Valheru

Coach
Were not talking $50k though are we? we are talking $300k plus a year (allegedly)which is significantly different. I can see a player who turns down an offer from his successful existing club because he thinks he's worth more money not moving for $50k but not moving for $300k when he has stated money is the motivating factor for moving? Something smells a little bit fishy.
If the media are to be believed:

Roosters offer $800k, he wants more
Wests offer $1mill for 4 years he says no
Souths offer equivalent of $700k and just one year, he says yes

hmmm either he has the worse manager of all time or something very iffy is afoot. What doesn't wash is his motivation for moving going from money to "refinding his love for the game" lol

$50k was just an example. I'm just saying that signing players isn't (or shouldn't be) an auction where the highest bidder gets the spoils.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Were not talking $50k though are we? we are talking $300k plus a year (allegedly)which is significantly different. I can see a player who turns down an offer from his successful existing club because he thinks he's worth more money not moving for $50k but not moving for $300k when he has stated money is the motivating factor for moving? Something smells a little bit fishy.
If the media are to be believed:

Roosters offer $800k, he wants more
Wests offer $1mill for 4 years he says no
Souths offer equivalent of $700k and just one year, he says yes

hmmm either he has the worse manager of all time or something very iffy is afoot. What doesn't wash is his motivation for moving going from money to "refinding his love for the game" lol
In the end he just ran out of options. Souths either craftily knew this was always the likely outcome that he’d end up there, at the right price or they were simply the last-man-standing and he had to settle for what effectively was the only offer still on the table.

Exsilium

First Grade
In the end he just ran out of options. Souths either craftily knew this was always the likely outcome that he’d end up there, at the right price or they were simply the last-man-standing and he had to settle for what effectively was the only offer still on the table.

If Latrell really wanted more money, as he initially indicated, then knocked back the Tigers 1m offer to sign with Souths for $700k, I think the NRL roadblock the move.

The intention of bringing the Tigers into the fold was to write the narrative that his motive wasn’t money. He knocks back the tigers, takes “less” money to play for a club he feels is a better fit and the NRL don’t blink.

Souths only had a certain amount to play with, Latrell and his management played it perfectly.

Wayne didn’t want a centre but he wanted a fullback. Latrell signs, they offload a player like AJ and the upgrade comes.

Valheru

Coach

I think souths was always the plan and both sides knew it.

I just think neither expected that he wouldn't be playing for the roosters in 2020 thus we have this situation.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The very first time it was applied was when Inglis came to us from the Storm and we had to release Beau Champion in order to fit him in because the value of our first contract was less than what he could've earned elsewhere.

This is a piss take right? I can't imagine how you managed to survive with losing Champion. Also consider that you benefitted because planes couldn't fly in the rain in the first place.

Canard

Immortal

Assisting Souffs to get rid of Beau Champion, yet another NRL leg up.

mave

Coach

Glenn Stewart says hello, and it's been mentioned numerous times in this thread, and funnily enough ignored by Souths fans every time it's mentioned.

Odd .....

The Latrell fiasco has skewed things. A top shelf centre isn’t worth million dollars a season, is he? Not many on here thought Trell was worth 800k even when you consider he’s a goal kicker and leading point scorer. 5/600k about right? Teddy didn’t come to us for too much under (900k?) what he’s worth. Plus he was always going to make up the shortfall with the promise of finals and rep footy. So no raised eyebrows there. Rads had his contract extended long term while he was still very young. Would certainly get a lot more as a free agent of course.

Mr Spock!

Referee
The Latrell fiasco has skewed things. A top shelf centre isn’t worth million dollars a season, is he? Not many on here thought Trell was worth 800k even when you consider he’s a goal kicker and leading point scorer. 5/600k about right? Teddy didn’t come to us for too much under (900k?) what he’s worth. Plus he was always going to make up the shortfall with the promise of finals and rep footy. So no raised eyebrows there. Rads had his contract extended long term while he was still very young. Would certainly get a lot more as a free agent of course.
While on teddy, Raiders were bitter that he turned down a $150k extra deal with them to stay at Tigers.

What happened to market value?

Perth Red

Post Whore

TBF Ado-Carr wants out of Melbourne as he doesnt think $550k is enough for a winger so who knows what players are worth, pick a figure it seems these days!

Mr Spock!

Referee
Lol people mentioning Glenn Stewart.

Manly would be happy we took him.

Spent most of the year injured/suspended and released from his 2nd year.

mave

Coach
Lol people mentioning Glenn Stewart.

Manly would be happy we took him.

Spent most of the year injured/suspended and released from his 2nd year.

Thus why we offered him under "market value".

Yet more proof that the NRL had no business dictating to clubs what market value is.

The precedent was set then, and cost a bloke the chance to be a one club player, and finish his career with his brother.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thus why we offered him under "market value".

Yet more proof that the NRL had no business dictating to clubs what market value is.

The precedent was set then, and cost a bloke the chance to be a one club player, and finish his career with his brother.

I guess the NRL, like most sensible people, find it hard to believe a player is going to sign for a club for $300k less than he could earn at another club maybe? Sadly clubs have proven they cant be trusted so dont blame over regulation!