What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

mave

Coach
I guess the NRL, like most sensible people, find it hard to believe a player is going to sign for a club for $300k less than he could earn at another club maybe? Sadly clubs have proven they cant be trusted so dont blame over regulation!

NRL has no business dictating what the market value is, because they cannot/will not dictate it consistently amongst all clubs.

gerg

Juniors
Who will be goal kicker at the club? Reynolds or Mitchell. It's nice to have an outstanding talent come into the side, will be interesting to see how Bennett manages to keep it together. Souths seem a pretty tight knit team and this has potential to rustle a few jimmies around the bunch. League players can be a very sensitive bunch.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I don't see how you can say the NRL have favoured us when we are literally one of three clubs in the history of the game to get f**ked over by this whole market value bullshit. The very first time it was applied was when Inglis came to us from the Storm and we had to release Beau Champion in order to fit him in because the value of our first contract was less than what he could've earned elsewhere.

The two other times its been mentioned were with Folau to Parra and Benji at the Tigers. I can't think of another case of it ever being raised.

No one said boo when Tedesco took a pay cut to go to the Roosters. No one kicked up a stink when Mark Gasnier signed a heavily back ended contract at the Dragons in order to fit under the cap and then retired at the end of his first season once they won the comp. There are literally hundreds of examples of the NRL not applying this rule.

You could argue that they overlook the whole market value thing every time a player doesn't test the market. I mean, what would someone like Victor Radley or Joey Manu be worth to the likes of the Tigers or the Gold Coast and yet they've signed up at the Roosters for half of what they could get elsewhere.

Fact is, it's not always about money and if you start assigning values to each player and making them sign for what they could get from desperate clubs, then you get to a point where nobody could afford to field a decent team.

And only bitter morons don’t understand this

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Who will be goal kicker at the club? Reynolds or Mitchell. It's nice to have an outstanding talent come into the side, will be interesting to see how Bennett manages to keep it together. Souths seem a pretty tight knit team and this has potential to rustle a few jimmies around the bunch. League players can be a very sensitive bunch.

Reynolds no doubt but in saying that he is chronically injured.
Might be best he gave up kicking but his last form is too good to ignore

SBD82

Coach
The bigger question is who will kick for the roosters.

I am assuming Flanagan.
Are the Roosters really looking at Flanagan as a starting half?

Better judges than me seem to think he has a big future in the NRL, but I just can’t see it.

Headless Chook

Juniors

Better judges than me seem to think he has a big future in the NRL, but I just can’t see it.
He’s got a bit of the Jackson Hastings about him at the moment. If he keeps his head down and learns everything he can from Cronk he’ll go ok.

Valheru

Coach

Well I don't see another option at the moment.

Keary 5/8 obviously.

Unless they play jake or verrils at half back?

I guess there is still Hutchison but he is limited to say the least.

macnaz

Staff member
In the end he just ran out of options. Souths either craftily knew this was always the likely outcome that he’d end up there, at the right price or they were simply the last-man-standing and he had to settle for what effectively was the only offer still on the table.
Or his manager craftily just ignored offers from Cows,Bulldogs,Titans and Tigers to make out there was no offers on the table.... in any case it was comon knowledge the Tigers deal was still well and truly on the table.

SBD82

Coach
Well I don't see another option at the moment.

Keary 5/8 obviously.

Unless they play jake or verrils at half back?

I guess there is still Hutchison but he is limited to say the least.
Yeah. Limited is how I’d describe Hutcho. Solid player, but you’d be struggling using him as a starting half. More of an old style lock at this stage.

No chance of a late signing? I assume there would still be a little cash left over from Latrell’s departure. Surely $800k hasn’t all been allocated elsewhere.

Latest posts