What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scomo saving me

carinashark

First Grade
Pretty much what I’m doing. I get heaps of fruit and veg from the set up and give most of it away. I’m not sure if it’s economic since but it saves a drive into town and makes me popular with the hippies around here.

carcharias

Immortal
Pretty much what I’m doing. I get heaps of fruit and veg from the set up and give most of it away. I’m not sure if it’s economic since but it saves a drive into town and makes me popular with the hippies around here.
I make my own beer
I give the left over grain to my mate with chickens
He gives me free eggs.

saving a drive anywhere is good
I’m usually over the limit.

You care for the environment then? But ,but you're supposedly in denial ,like moi.

Just had yellow bin emptied. Leaving it out in the open to fill, missus not thrilled, plus a stack of buckets.Not one mm of this colourless stuff ,is going to leave my premises.I'll fight for every drop.
Been mulching and composting for yonks.

Caring for environment in practical way is admirable and the younger ones with no idea need to start getting some reality checks Like how much work it actually takes to get a meal on the table.and roof over head.. Things like Plastic bags , Yellow Plastic bins etc only been popular for fifty or so yrs. The waste that went out of My own mums house 60 yr ago was miniscual... few Food scraps that did escape were composted to garden or fed to chooks.Clothes were repaired till no longer Practical, then cut up and ,made into quilts, Braided rugs , soft toys to give to kids, or if too far gone rags for workshop. She would have made at least Twenty Blue jean quilts from mens work jeans I still Have one . She would probably beat all the "sustainable " living lefties.hands down. She was denialist till the end .

However, admirable as that is , without Govt regulations on such things as Plastic use ,Unnecessary travel ,Food wastage etc the conveniance of it all will ensure it all remains a huge environmental threat. The "silent majority" AND the lefty, greenies ,new wave vegan (change the whole system) idiots would ALL be Screaming if any real regulations to actually make a difference were brought in .

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
Caring for environment in practical way is admirable and the younger ones with no idea need to start getting some reality checks Like how much work it actually takes to get a meal on the table.and roof over head.. Things like Plastic bags , Yellow Plastic bins etc only been popular for fifty or so yrs. The waste that went out of My own mums house 60 yr ago was miniscual... few Food scraps that did escape were composted to garden or fed to chooks.Clothes were repaired till no longer Practical, then cut up and ,made into quilts, Braided rugs , soft toys to give to kids, or if too far gone rags for workshop. She would have made at least Twenty Blue jean quilts from mens work jeans I still Have one . She would probably beat all the "sustainable " living lefties.hands down. She was denialist till the end .

However, admirable as that is , without Govt regulations on such things as Plastic use ,Unnecessary travel ,Food wastage etc the conveniance of it all will ensure it all remains a huge environmental threat. The "silent majority" AND the lefty, greenies ,new wave vegan (change the whole system) idiots would ALL be Screaming if any real regulations to actually make a difference were brought in .

Remember as a young un.living in Cronulla, the soil was ,well let us say nothing more than coloured sand .My old man, loved growng his own vegetables, the soil then was hardly suitable.He dug holes and every item of peelings.rotten fruit, lettuce leaves. tree leaves was put in and covered with a layer of this "dirty" sand.In a matter of years he had the soil full of earthworms.The depth of the good soil was at least 2 foot under he old scale, and he grew potatoes,beans,carrots,lettuce,cabbage,caulies, climbing beans,sweet peas.
Followed the trend, when I moved to Caringbah as an adult.Even to the point and my old man laughed at me,ya'll never grow paw paws in this climate, nor mangos.I did ,and let him know it big time.

In fact highly illegal I found later, but in the 90s,took a few large plastic bags down in my wagon, and went down to Cronulla beach behind the swimming pools, and gathered up a stack of seawood washed in and ready to stink the joint out.I put the stuff on my garden which gave it a fibre and moisture boost and mulch.

Few people these days want to grow anything, living in units is a deterrent, cost of water, yet we throw sh*loads of vegetable/fruits scraps out like there's no tomorrow.

MAte you are going over board. Just put the following stickers on yoru car, for true virtue signalling greeny hippie adornment.
No fracking, nuclear free, sea shepherd, save the planet.
and a marley rasta sticker.

Remember as a young un.living in Cronulla, the soil was ,well let us say nothing more than coloured sand .My old man, loved growng his own vegetables, the soil then was hardly suitable.He dug holes and every item of peelings.rotten fruit, lettuce leaves. tree leaves was put in and covered with a layer of this "dirty" sand.In a matter of years he had the soil full of earthworms.The depth of the good soil was at least 2 foot under he old scale, and he grew potatoes,beans,carrots,lettuce,cabbage,caulies, climbing beans,sweet peas.
Followed the trend, when I moved to Caringbah as an adult.Even to the point and my old man laughed at me,ya'll never grow paw paws in this climate, nor mangos.I did ,and let him know it big time.

In fact highly illegal I found later, but in the 90s,took a few large plastic bags down in my wagon, and went down to Cronulla beach behind the swimming pools, and gathered up a stack of seawood washed in and ready to stink the joint out.I put the stuff on my garden which gave it a fibre and moisture boost and mulch.

Few people these days want to grow anything, living in units is a deterrent, cost of water, yet we throw sh*loads of vegetable/fruits scraps out like there's no tomorrow.
I have just discovered something in my unrealted line of work, that may interest you.
its called Zeolite. I washed 4 tons to remove finer particles & zeolite dust for our application. Instead of wasting the water, we poured all over dead & dying lawns & gardens. Drought stricken area.
Sure we used a lot of water, but I tell you, we were mowing the longest hairiest lawn I have ever seen, ten days later. Bascially this shit rapidly absorbs water but slow releases. Going to give it a crack on my absolute shit rubbish always dying lawn see if it improves it.

MAte you are going over board. Just put the following stickers on yoru car, for true virtue signalling greeny hippie adornment.
No fracking, nuclear free, sea shepherd, save the planet.
and a marley rasta sticker.

And to give it credibility get the proper sticker "We Support Allan Jones! NO FRACKING!"

I have just discovered something in my unrealted line of work, that may interest you.
its called Zeolite. I washed 4 tons to remove finer particles & zeolite dust for our application. Instead of wasting the water, we poured all over dead & dying lawns & gardens. Drought stricken area.
Sure we used a lot of water, but I tell you, we were mowing the longest hairiest lawn I have ever seen, ten days later. Bascially this shit rapidly absorbs water but slow releases. Going to give it a crack on my absolute shit rubbish always dying lawn see if it improves it.

Silicon. Its possibilities as Magic Bullet for much of damage weve done , to soils and plants are exciting. Not getting enough research because it would reduce amount of Fertilizers used . Ie Money . Not sure about the Alumina aspect of that particular compound for your purposes there .Id be asking an agronimist first . Not one associated with a fertilizer company either. Anyway on the Gympie Macgrowers Face book group theres an article on Silicon . Some exciting stuff, Sort of thing Govts really should be putting money into, other countries been researching it for 10 yrs. across wide range of applications. I dont think its closed to those outside the group. If it is let me Know and Ill cut and paste or do some other computer thingy for you if you are interested . Wont waste time if not interested .Computer shiteshites me.

taipan

Referee

Thanks useful info, worth a look at.
I originally had kikuyu which grows like bamboo when it rains and couch which sh*ts itself when it's dry.Removed the lot and with buffalo runners from my old man's place years ago, my lawn though a little burnt and patchy ,is the best in the street.Not that that means much these days.

Thanks useful info, worth a look at.
I originally had kikuyu which grows like bamboo when it rains and couch which sh*ts itself when it's dry.Removed the lot and with buffalo runners from my old man's place years ago, my lawn though a little burnt and patchy ,is the best in the street.Not that that means much these days.

Yeah . We are really behind many countries in research on use of silicon compounds. Maybe if Scomo had been looking into such things we may have been more prepared to use zeolite or some other silicon compunds to help with ,water retention, root growth , and photosynthesis promotion in plants to help in the Fire effected and drought effected areas . Theres already quite alot of info out there about it but still need more as to possible bad effects best compounds in different situations etc . Excess Aluminium I know can be a problem but maybe not in this form.... Bit like Carbon ... Depends on which form its in

carcharias

Immortal
Ha
Imagine that

Hi greenies
Scomo here , just dumping a shitload of zeolite
into the soil in bush.
Won’t be long ... nice goat by the way.

I’m not having a go at you flakey

I’m imagining the inevitable complaining about doing anything like that.

Ha
Imagine that

Hi greenies
Scomo here , just dumping a shitload of zeolite
into the soil in bush.
Won’t be long ... nice goat by the way.

I’m not having a go at you flakey

I’m imagining the inevitable complaining about doing anything like that.

As ussual you had to twist what I said (A LOT) to reply. I said he should be getting the apropriate Environment and Ag Depts to be researching it. (Not that Im doubting Defers research)(And of course his predecessors too should have been doing that. How did you get from that that I was advocating going in like a bull at the gate and spraying Zeolite everywhere? FMD

carcharias

Immortal
As ussual you had to twist what I said (A LOT) to reply. I said he should be getting the apropriate Environment and Ag Depts to be researching it. (Not that Im doubting Defers research)(And of course his predecessors too should have been doing that. How did you get from that that I was advocating going in like a bull at the gate and spraying Zeolite everywhere? FMD

calm the farm

it was just a joke
I wasn’t trying to shell out any advice.
Whatever you do or say some nut job will have a crack at you.

I think I also mentioned the cautionary aspect of Aluminum in that particular form of Silicon Compound . Just did a quick Google and saw a bit of concern there about that as well. As for Greenies protesting ... Get the facts as right as possibly can then they can protest all they like . Make sure the ones you vote for are doing all possible to get their facts right too , not just Allan Jones type research

Yes when you get called on something its a joke . Could well be, but Ive lost my sense of humour about this stuff. Sorry . Also losing urge to reply to any of it . Waste of time . People just throw Shite .Ive sunk to that level too many times as well . So some will be delighted to know I will try my best to resist further temptation to read or reply . Cant wait for footbrawl to start.

carcharias

Immortal
Yes when you get called on something its a joke . Could well be, but Ive lost my sense of humour about this stuff. Sorry . Also losing urge to reply to any of it . Waste of time . People just throw Shite .Ive sunk to that level too many times as well . So some will be delighted to know I will try my best to resist further temptation to read or reply . Cant wait for footbrawl to start.

Um
It was just a joke.
Really.

Please tell me the next post didn’t go over your head.

Silicon. Its possibilities as Magic Bullet for much of damage weve done , to soils and plants are exciting. Not getting enough research because it would reduce amount of Fertilizers used . Ie Money . Not sure about the Alumina aspect of that particular compound for your purposes there .Id be asking an agronimist first . Not one associated with a fertilizer company either. Anyway on the Gympie Macgrowers Face book group theres an article on Silicon . Some exciting stuff, Sort of thing Govts really should be putting money into, other countries been researching it for 10 yrs. across wide range of applications. I dont think its closed to those outside the group. If it is let me Know and Ill cut and paste or do some other computer thingy for you if you are interested . Wont waste time if not interested .Computer shiteshites me.
FFS settle down. Its zeolite. A natural compound. ITs sold as Zeobrite & has been filling sand filters for both swimming & drinking water for years.
I bought about 4-6 tonnes for a comemrcial installation & it came from drought area so came unwashed. I had to wash it. The areas that I flushed it into have gone far king nuts. In a drought.
I am going to try & repeat my findings, like a good scientist.
Then Im going to make up a big lie & tell everybody how Zeolite is going to end the world in 10 years, unless we all start paying a Zeobrite tax. To me.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
FFS settle down. Its zeolite. A natural compound. ITs sold as Zeobrite & has been filling sand filters for both swimming & drinking water for years.
I bought about 4-6 tonnes for a comemrcial installation & it came from drought area so came unwashed. I had to wash it. The areas that I flushed it into have gone far king nuts. In a drought.
I am going to try & repeat my findings, like a good scientist.
Then Im going to make up a big lie & tell everybody how Zeolite is going to end the world in 10 years, unless we all start paying a Zeobrite tax.

careful mate
You’ll get hauled across the coals for a comment like that.