What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle Flanagan versus Lachlan Lam

I was just wondering what my fellow Roosters supporters think of these two players, and which one should start in the first grade squad. Should there be any difference in treatment between the NRL Nines, the World Club Challenge, our trial against the Knights at Gosford on Saturday, 29 February, and Round 1 of the season onwards. I would probably lean towards Kyle at this point, especially with the assistance and guidance he would have received from Cooper during the off season. I don't think many of our first graders will play on 29 February. Kyle probably earns it, but that is just my opinion at this early stage.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Yes, booster, I tend to agree with you. It is most unfortunate how this whole debacle has turned out. I bet he wishes that he could have his time over again. I cannot help but feel he may live to regret this decision. He is leaving something pretty special behind at our club, despite the issues he supposedly has with playing fullback and, of course, the money. Anyway, we should finally hear something this week, given that he is due back at training on 6 January.

Flanagan will get first shot. Lam when given a chance has been either warm or cold. The fact that Drew Hutchison in 2019 got 4 starts in the halves as opposed to Lam's one (with 3 off the bench) says to me that Lam did not win over the first grade coaching staff so far.

I still suspect that the longer term prospect that they have high hopes for is Sam Walker. He is a halfback and a first string goal kicker. He probably has more talent than either Lam or Flanagan, but his age and lack of experience is against him so far.

Flanagan will get first shot. Lam when given a chance has been either warm or cold. The fact that Drew Hutchison in 2019 got 4 starts in the halves as opposed to Lam's one (with 3 off the bench) says to me that Lam did not win over the first grade coaching staff so far.

I still suspect that the longer term prospect that they have high hopes for is Sam Walker. He is a halfback and a first string goal kicker. He probably has more talent than either Lam or Flanagan, but his age and lack of experience is against him so far.
Good points Captain, as usual. Yes, I must admit that I had momentarily forgotten about Sam Walker but, you are right, he is a very good, albeit young, prospect. I recall that we chased pretty hard in order to secure him. Let us hope that something comes of it. Our stocks are looking good in the short to medium term at least.

jiorl

Juniors
Good points Captain, as usual. Yes, I must admit that I had momentarily forgotten about Sam Walker but, you are right, he is a very good, albeit young, prospect. I recall that we chased pretty hard in order to secure him. Let us hope that something comes of it. Our stocks are looking good in the short to medium term at least.

walker is 17 turning 18 this year, and I don't know how long Keary will last so I think we have set up ourselves well. Hopefully Flanagan will have developed nicely, and shift to the seven by the time walker comes into the side

I agree, and well said. We have a very bright future and, going on reports this morning, we are training very hard and getting on with business, now that Latrell has left. I am confident we will move on quickly, and maintain a level of class and professionalism that is virtually unmatched across the NRL.

Easts forever.

I really hope we emulate Melbourne in that, no matter how many gun players they lose, another one seamlessly comes up through the ranks to keep them firmly entrenched it the finals year in-year out. Not that we’re doing badly ourselves lol

jiorl

Juniors
I really hope we emulate Melbourne in that, no matter how many gun players they lose, another one seamlessly comes up through the ranks to keep them firmly entrenched it the finals year in-year out. Not that we’re doing badly ourselves lol
we are in a good position to do that I think. Kyle Flanagan, Billy Smith, Sam Walker, Nat Butcher, Tuponuia, Fammusili, Collins, Verrills and Ikuvalu (to a lesser extent) are examples of the promise to come

Tbh I think we'll find it hard to hit the same heights with 2 rookies in the backline.
I agree that we have a greater challenge this time than we did two years ago, but I do not think it is beyond us.

I predict that we still start slowly, just like we did when Cooper, Luke and Teddy were learning how to work off each other, but hopefully we should pick up later in the season. It will be important that we do not lose too much ground to the leaders early on and find ourselves playing catch up. Injuries, of course, is another great unknown, and it is so difficult to predict our fortunes on this basis. Depth in key positions is something that I would like us to sure up a little bit more before the start of the season. I am of the understanding that we have two vacant spots to fill - perhaps one with a quality signing (e.g. a Bronson Xerri or JAC) and another, perhaps in the forwards (e.g. the ex Manly player and brother of Sam - Lloyd Perrett at Brisbane - I believe could be a possibility, or perhaps even Josh Morris).

Interesting times, though.

Latest posts