What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Actually your reasoning is the reason why a salary cap would probably survive a court challenge. This is an area I have researched a lot and not all restraints of trade are automatically illegal. There are a number of arguments that can be made that can show that a Salary Cap is a reasonable restraint of trade and is actually beneficial to the players earnings. Creating a more even competition can be argued creates greater revenue which allows the game to pay the players more is one such argument that would likely be made by the lawyers of the NRL.

It is even possible that a draft could survive a court challenge based on similar arguments!

Also have a look at the High Court rulings in recent years with public service wage caps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not hard to see why they'd be opposed to this lol! God forbid we should hold highly paid players accountable for the well-being of the sport.

"The RLPA is also opposed to NRL plans to include a $400,000 integrity fund as part of each club’s cap, with that amount to be reduced any time a player transgresses off the field."

unforgiven

Bench
Also have a look at the High Court rulings in recent years with public service wage caps.
I have seen those rulings before and although reasoning for the decision would be different it does show that courts are not automatically against a cap on earnings when it is in the publics best interests which is another argument for a restraint of trade being deemed reasonable!

I have seen those rulings before and although reasoning for the decision would be different it does show that courts are not automatically against a cap on earnings when it is in the publics best interests which is another argument for a restraint of trade being deemed reasonable!

Which is why I mentioned it :)

SBD82

Coach
He's not being discarded... Quite the opposite. We have a spot for him in our 30 and he has a contract for two more years. Realistically that spot is on the bench. He's not going to start over LM or our two halves and he wants a spine position so Wayne has told him he is best to look at his options elsewhere. He doesn't have to leave, to be perfectly honest, Souths would be hoping he stays as he covers so many positions he is an asset but he would definitely see more game time elsewhere so he needs to do whatever he thinks is best for his career.

He can stay or go, he's not being pushed out. The choice is in his hands.

The shit thing to do would be to hold him to his contract and make him play 14 or reserve grade for the next two years.
Remember when the Roosters didn’t discard Pearce for Cronk?

Spot in their roster, could play off the bench, hoped he stayed, his choice etc etc etc.

I’ve no idea your personal stance on that situation, but what you’re saying here is very different from the opinions that I heard from bunnies fans at the time.

nick87

Coach
He's not being discarded... Quite the opposite. We have a spot for him in our 30 and he has a contract for two more years. Realistically that spot is on the bench. He's not going to start over LM or our two halves and he wants a spine position so Wayne has told him he is best to look at his options elsewhere. He doesn't have to leave, to be perfectly honest, Souths would be hoping he stays as he covers so many positions he is an asset but he would definitely see more game time elsewhere so he needs to do whatever he thinks is best for his career.

He can stay or go, he's not being pushed out. The choice is in his hands.

The shit thing to do would be to hold him to his contract and make him play 14 or reserve grade for the next two years.

this is a fantastic post
When you think about it, the Rabbitohs are really just a bunch of saints and are giving Adam the 5 star treatment

if you agree with me and DKOR, please contact me via DM, a Nigerian prince has died and as a result you could be the beneficiary of a major financial windfall

Make sure you’ve got your MasterCard, Visa or American Express handy, and please be quick

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
So, if I'm not mistaken, the contract is for 1 year, with a 1 year option. Is the option in the clubs favour or the players favour? If it's in the players favour, you just know we will all be sitting here in 12 months time having this same discussion.

I'm tipping Souths regret this decision and more so they will regret the decision to let Douehi go. I just don't see Latrell having it in him to be a success in 1st grade at fullback. Maybe I will be wrong, who knows.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the contract is for 1 year, with a 1 year option. Is the option in the clubs favour or the players favour? If it's in the players favour, you just know we will all be sitting here in 12 months time having this same discussion.

I'm tipping Souths regret this decision and more so they will regret the decision to let Douehi go. I just don't see Latrell having it in him to be a success in 1st grade at fullback. Maybe I will be wrong, who knows.

It’s in the club’s favour. How good is his management team!

bull rider

Juniors
Remember when the Roosters didn’t discard Pearce for Cronk?

Spot in their roster, could play off the bench, hoped he stayed, his choice etc etc etc.

I’ve no idea your personal stance on that situation, but what you’re saying here is very different from the opinions that I heard from bunnies fans at the time.

pearce was an origin standard half who had been at the club for 10 years.

doohickey is a plodder that no merkin will know about in 2 years time.... it’s not exactly the same thing

SBD82

Coach
19 origins should probably make someone eligible to be described as origin standard.
I’d probably agree for every other player who has played 19 origins.

Seriously though, how does the quality of a player change the fact that they are being discarded?

bull rider

Juniors

Seriously though, how does the quality of a player change the fact that they are being discarded?
He was an integral part of their team for a long time. Doohickey is just being replaced by a better player after half a season.

Sonny83

Juniors

mate to be fair, everyone would be discarded if they're up 3/4 future Immortals. Pearce is a damn good player but unlucky playing in same era.

Very happy for him to finally win last year though.