What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Fairly confident Drown at half back (and Salmon at 5/8), would still offer enough to lead the side around.

Drown is a pretty good kicker while both would be fairly strong defensively which is pretty important.

Additionally wouldn’t surprise if Moses went down, Matterson may take a big role in attack to help the halves out at certain points in the game.

Obviously we don’t want to lose Moses but we have some decent options.

Also don’t forget Drown lead the 20’s side to a GF at only 17, so he does have the “confidence” to take “control” of more experienced players.

Avenger

Immortal
Fairly confident Drown at half back (and Salmon at 5/8), would still offer enough to lead the side around.

Drown is a pretty good kicker while both would be fairly strong defensively which is pretty important.

Additionally wouldn’t surprise if Moses went down, Matterson may take a big role in attack to help the halves out at certain points in the game.

Also don’t forget Drown lead the 20’s side to a GF at only 17, so he does have the “confidence” to take “control” of more experienced players.
Anything is possible. A couple of years ago I didn’t think Moses could do it.

Spooner

Juniors
I reckon we have more effective leaders in 2020 than in previous years. From TCT reports (and players involved in origin camps) Gutho, RCG, Jennings, Matterson, Moses and Fergo are all standing out as leaders this pre season.
And that’s a pretty good spread of leaders across the field:
2 in the spine, 1 centre, 1 winger, an edge forward and a middle forward.
That’s almost everybody - more cowboys than indians

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Please don't let what I'm about to say be construed as me putting down Dylan as I am a huge fan of him as a player and as a person. But he didn't lead the 20s into that Grand Final. Troy Dargan was the halfback the week before and injured his arm during the game. Dylan had played a few games before during the season and was the 7 in the GF, where I thought he was one of our better players in that game, but I don't think it's right to say he lead the team into the GF when he played minimal games. Your sentiment is right though, I'm sure Dylan would handle the extra responsibility although it isn't ideal.

My thinking about leaders is that if you look at any squad in isolation, you're going to see leaders. The question though is whether they're good leaders, compared to other squads. And I think that winning imbues people with good leadership skills. They have long-lasting confidence in themselves and the things they know that work. And they are less prone to panicking when the pressure is on. So my doubts about our leaders' quality is that comparatively their experience of winning is low, because hey, we're Parra.

Eelementary

Post Whore
My thinking about leaders is that if you look at any squad in isolation, you're going to see leaders. The question though is whether they're good leaders, compared to other squads. And I think that winning imbues people with good leadership skills. They have long-lasting confidence in themselves and the things they know that work. And they are less prone to panicking when the pressure is on. So my doubts about our leaders' quality is that comparatively their experience of winning is low, because hey, we're Parra.

From what I have seen, Clint Gutherson seems like a very good leader - he's tough, he backs himself, he commands respect, and gives respect back.

Blake Ferguson, and Michael Jennings, exhibit strong leadership qualities, imo, as well.

We have a well-balanced squad heading into 2020 - I am genuinely excited about our prospects this season.

From what I have seen, Clint Gutherson seems like a very good leader - he's tough, he backs himself, he commands respect, and gives respect back.

Blake Ferguson, and Michael Jennings, exhibit strong leadership qualities, imo, as well.

We have a well-balanced squad heading into 2020 - I am genuinely excited about our prospects this season.
Agreed about Ferguson and for the most part about Gutherson, but I don't think he's the guy you want to be your dominant leader as I question his tactical acuity. Love his confidence and energy and he would be a great influence on others both in training and in games but I don't know if he's the one you want pulling the strings. Jennings is a different story. I have real doubts about his leadership qualities. Tonnes of experience which is good but I think he's more of an individualist.

Latest posts