What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2020 Predictions

Eelementary

Post Whore
Also, Alvaro averages 90m a game - to go along with his 30+ tackles per game.

Andrew Fifita averages 120m a game - and he bludges in defence.

Different play styles.

Avenger

Immortal
That's the job of a prop forward.
1. Create advantage and begin sets on the front foot - Alvaro 5/10.
2. Make dominant tackles so our defense can set 6/10.

3. Create intimidation as to strike fear into the opposition and give confidence to our team - 3/10.

4. Work hard in defense and make your tackles - Alvaro 9/10.

5. Try to get over 120 meters per match Alvaro 4/10 . Averages around 90 m
From memory, I have seen Alvaro make some outstanding metres and scored great tries from about 10-15 metres out. He goes well enough.

Noise

Coach
Also, Alvaro averages 90m a game - to go along with his 30+ tackles per game.

Andrew Fifita averages 120m a game - and he bludges in defence.

Different play styles.
Fifita doesn’t bludge in defence. In 2019 he made just over 29 tackles a game at 92% efficiency.

Alvaro averaged just under 25 tackles a game at 85%

chiefy1

Juniors
Intimidation...

Why is there such an obsession with this motion?

Do you think Mike Tyson's opponents were "intimidated" by him?

Intimidation means nothing- in fact, if a professional athlete finds someone intimidating, I say it says more about the person themselves, than the person who is allegedly intimidating...

f**k yea mike Tyson is intimidating. Would you like to meet him in a dark alley? ?
Crowds are intimidating. Why do you think refs blow give more penalties to home teams ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Fifita doesn’t bludge in defence. In 2019 he made just over 29 tackles a game at 92% efficiency.

Per game is irrelevant if their minutes aren't the same. The best definition of work rate is tackles per minute, and Alvaro is best in the competition.

Bazal

Post Whore
Alvaro makes slightly more per minute but my point was that Fifita doesn’t bludge on defence. And Alvaro doesn’t make 30 tackles a game.

You're right. He made more than that in 2018 when he was fit. He was the number one defensive prop in the NRL I think?

And less in 2019 when the fat prop fans got their wish. Funny how putting weight on a hard worker made him less effective. Thankfully it looks he's dropped the lard for 2020.

Hopefully that, and the addition of RCG, tightens up our middle.

hindy111

Post Whore
Not everyone has to play origin. You need solid club players like him. He is easily one of the best defensive players in our pack yet you only seem to look at one aspect of a forwards game.

Sure Alvaro is a good defender and mobile but is that better then K.Evans providing a bone crushing tackle that knocks the stuffing out of the guy carting it up and potentially limiting his impact on the rest of the game?
Ok defender but nothing special. Good defenders hurt you. He is more mobile then Jnr but the rest of our pack are better defenders due to the fact they play tougher....

hindy111

Post Whore
Intimidation...

Why is there such an obsession with this motion?

Do you think Mike Tyson's opponents were "intimidated" by him?

Intimidation means nothing- in fact, if a professional athlete finds someone intimidating, I say it says more about the person themselves, than the person who is allegedly intimidating...

I'd say they where. And why boxers never seem the same once they are beaten.

84 Baby

Referee
Sure Alvaro is a good defender and mobile but is that better then K.Evans providing a bone crushing tackle that knocks the stuffing out of the guy carting it up and potentially limiting his impact on the rest of the game?
Ok defender but nothing special. Good defenders hurt you. He is more mobile then Jnr but the rest of our pack are better defenders due to the fact they play tougher....
Alvaro would tear you in twain with just a look

Eelementary

Post Whore
f**k yea mike Tyson is intimidating. Would you like to meet him in a dark alley? ?
Crowds are intimidating. Why do you think refs blow give more penalties to home teams ?

I wouldn't, no - but I'm not a professional boxer, bra.

I don't think George Foreman, Sonny Liston, etc. were intimidated by him.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Good defenders wrap the ball up, and limit forward momentum.

A bloke hitting hard doesn't make him a good defender - Luke Ricketson was a much better defender than Adrian Morley.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
Why are a bunch of posters saying Daniel Alvaro is going to surprise? I mean he's nearly 27. What can he do differently. Sure he's a worker but i can't see him going to another level naturally. He lacks the pace & impact at the line and rarely puts on a good hit. He's average & will never be considered an Origin fringe player.

Khafusi however can jump a few levels and has all the attributes. Utoki has it as well. RCG is a top signing as is Matto.
f**k i almost clicked Like on this, then realised it was chiefy ... Dodged a bullet there

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
That's the job of a prop forward.
1. Create advantage and begin sets on the front foot - Alvaro 5/10.
2. Make dominant tackles so our defense can set 6/10.

3. Create intimidation as to strike fear into the opposition and give confidence to our team - 3/10.

4. Work hard in defense and make your tackles - Alvaro 9/10.

5. Try to get over 120 meters per match Alvaro 4/10 . Averages around 90 m

1. Alvaro isn’t in the side for his attack. But he still works hard in attack taking the “tough” hit ups
2. The “skinny” Alvaro was great at defending in the middle.
3. That is so overrated, you really think NRL players are scared? That’s under 14 stuff
4. Agree
5. See no.1. Alvaro could easily make 100 plus metres per game, he did in 2018. But we want the “better” attacking players to get all the runs. Just like we don’t want Paulo making all the tackles. While we have big backs too, that take plenty of hit ups, might as well keep Alvaro fairly fresh for defence.

Anyhow, my prediction was based on Alvaro getting back to his normal weight (he was doing extra training in the offseason with that sprint trainer, Roger fabri ) and getting back to his 2018 and making a difference in our “improved” defence.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Obviously the efficiency rate from Alvaro isn’t great.

However I suspect those tackles are in around 60 or so mins for Fifita and 35-40 mins for Alvaro.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

How many times has Evans actually done that? Hardly ever? And how many times has Evan been caught in the ruck struggling to keep up ?

How are the rest of the pack tougher ? Thus better defenders?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Anyhow here is an article on Alvaro’s involvement rate:

And this probably best sums up why some do rate the polar bear and his value to the side:

“Daniel Alvaro may be elite according to Involvement Rate, but you wouldn’t say he’s a more damaging runner than Andrew Fifita. Yet both types of players are important to the composition of a successful team, although the Alvaro’s of the rugby league world don’t get the plaudits and are harder to quantify. The aim of Involvement Rate is to help identify those high work rate players every club need as a compliment to their high impact superstars.“

Latest posts