What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wizardman

First Grade
Lets talk about something that makes us all happy. I have a few questions about that period of time.

1. Your favourite game?
2. Your favourite regular season game?
3. Best performance as a team?
4. Best back?
5. Best forward?
6. Best half?
7. Best performance by a player?
8. Where were you during the GF?
9. When did you first truly realise that we were a realistic shot at winning the premiership?
10. When were you pretty confident of winning the premiership?
11. Favourite premiership player?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Lets talk about something that makes us all happy. I have a few questions about that period of time.

1. Your favourite game?
4. Best back?
5. Best forward?
6. Best half?
9. When did you first truly realise that we were a realistic shot at winning the premiership?

1. Hard to say 1. The Dragons semi was the most tense ive ever been in a game. The last 20 minutes seemed to go for an hour and the ball didnt move from our 20m zone. Probably have to go that one

2. Cop out but I'd have to say 3:
Round 3: The first Dogs game where we beat the reiging premiers 37-36. Not just the win but the way we threw the ball around showed the style of play we were going to see for the year
Round 21:The Sharks game at Sharks Park. It was 5th v 6th with the winner to go into 4th. We'd been going well but hadnt really beaten another top 8 side since the early rounds. We completely tore them apart at their home ground winning 46-6, i left there knowing we were the real deal
Round 24: Destroyed the Dogs 54-2, were scoring tries for fun. I knew after this we could win the Premiership

3. Im going to say the Broncos Semi. We started quiet poorly and probably should have been down 12-0 at a minimum after 15 minutes, the experienced Broncos team had us under the pump. However our scrambling defence held well, the forwards ground us back into it, we weathered the Storm then the backs ran away with it in the second half

4. Hodgson, by a mile

5. Probably Lafftranchi just shading Ben Galea

6. Benji got the accolades but Scott Prince was the driving force

7. Dene Halatau in the Dragons semi, they couldnt put him down all night

8. Right behind the posts where Laffranchi scored

9. After the Dogs masacre

10. I was pretty confident when I knew we were going to play the Cowboys

11. Thats not a fair question!

Wizardman

First Grade
Im not sure people truly understand how big of an achievement 2005 was. Some people absolutely despise Tim Sheens but what he did with our squad was truly incredible and we don't win it without his vision for how the side was to play through the season. Sheens coached some great Raiders sides but his Tigers win would have to be his greatest achievement.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It was a Bradbury.

It was supposed to be either Pawwa or Dragons to take it out, but both fell at the last hurdle..

The unknown

Juniors
Beating 1st, 3rd and 5th (humiliating Brisbane and cowboys)

is a Bradbury?

I reckon that title belongs to the storms 17 premiership. All the good teams choked against a pretty average Thurston-less cowboys side

Wizardman

First Grade
It was a Bradbury.

It was supposed to be either Pawwa or Dragons to take it out, but both fell at the last hurdle..
This is the typical dickhead response our premiership gets from a big part of the rugby league community. People forget that we finished top four in 2005. You earn a premiership when you finish that high.

Wizardman

First Grade
its funny how 2005 still burns dragons fans, i would have thought 2010 erased those memories

personally id say a Bradbury is winning a comp when the best team gets taken out of the equation, like in 2010
No such thing as a Bradbury in rugby league to be honest. Premierships are tough for any team to win and they are earnt.

stryker

First Grade
Parramatta should have won in 2005. Easily the premiership's best team that year.
Absolutely choked it up supremely in the prelim.
When I was recovering from our heroics against St Merge on the sunday I was thinking we'll give the Eels a good run. Couldnt believe they got flogged to blot. The next week was just a party as I thought there was no way in hell the Cowboys could do us. Didnt cross my mind that we could lose the GF after Parra went down.

Best player that year was Benji. The whole comp was shit scared of him. The reason we won the comp was Scott Prince and our scramble defence.

Front-Rower

First Grade

1. Your favourite game?
4. Best back?
5. Best forward?
6. Best half?

1. Souths at Leichhardt during the regular season...SGI semi final..I can’t split them edit - a third game was V Roosters in the 2nd round (I think) when we beat them at the SFS. Always a good win that one

2. Souths at Leichhardt

3. I’d say V SGI in that Semi. The worst performance was V Penrith in the last round. Leading 18-0 and getting beat. I walked out fuming and thinking we’d be knocked out in straight sets

4. Paul Whatauria

5. Anthony Laffranchi

6. Scott Prince

7. Ben Galea in the grand final

8. At the northern end of ANZ stadium (or Telstra Stadium)

9. When Parramatta and Melbourne got knocked out. NQ were never going to beat us

10. Had a feeling after beating NQ at Campbelltown but knew we needed to avoid Melbourne and Parramatta

11. Brett Hodgson

The Rosco

Bench
It was a Bradbury.

C'mon Muzby . . . I thought you were a funny merkin.
You got the likes of Rhyno liking you. Dude, that is no kudos there !
Some species of rhino in Africa are nearly extinct.
Virtually erased from people's memory.
A lot like a Parramatta premiership.

. . . Back on topic, I laugh when folks say "oh, how lucky were the WT " . . .
F off merkins. Our average game score throughout the semi's was 33.5 - 10.
33.5 to 10 !!!!!.
I'd like to see how that stacks up against some of the "proper" winners that didn't get "lucky"
. . . best game ? vs Saints. When Benji skirted around Mr Shimmy shimmy to score the first try, I had a feeling.
Watching that win was better than an average root.

Vic Mackey

Referee
1. Souths at Leichhardt during the regular season...SGI semi final..I can’t split them edit - a third game was V Roosters in the 2nd round (I think) when we beat them at the SFS. Always a good win that one

2. Souths at Leichhardt

3. I’d say V SGI in that Semi. The worst performance was V Penrith in the last round. Leading 18-0 and getting beat. I walked out fuming and thinking we’d be knocked out in straight sets

4. Paul Whatauria

5. Anthony Laffranchi

6. Scott Prince

7. Ben Galea in the grand final

8. At the northern end of ANZ stadium (or Telstra Stadium)

9. When Parramatta and Melbourne got knocked out. NQ were never going to beat us

10. Had a feeling after beating NQ at Campbelltown but knew we needed to avoid Melbourne and Parramatta

11. Brett Hodgson

Whilst it would have been tough I had a feeling we’d beat Parra. They had a big rep for choking around that time, it just happened a week earlier then everyone thought. Standard Brian Smith side really. Both times we played them that year we were missing key players. Benji and Robbie round 1 then later in the year it was the day after a AUSvNZ test match with Whatiura and Halatau backing up and Benji coming off the bench with Fitzhenry playing most of the game at 5/8.

Totally agree re Melbourne, they had it all Over is at the time and I was shit scared of them. That year they beat us 30-14 at a sold out Leichhardt and then 34-22 in Melbourne (we scored 2 late tries to make it look respectable). I was stoked when the cowboys beat them in the knock out semi.

Latest posts