What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2020 Predictions

Bazal

Post Whore
Was it higher in previous years? And if so, what percentage was it?

I'm going to a wedding. Will try and dig up the stats I had when I played fantasy footy. Was high enough to have him up with Jake Turbo for effective rate on 2018 but

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm going to a wedding. Will try and dig up the stats I had when I played fantasy footy. Was high enough to have him up with Jake Turbo for effective rate on 2018 but

Aight so at the time I applied to have him re-rated in the game I played he averaged 42 tackles a game with one miss for a 98% effective rate. In around 50 mins. He also ran for 110m a game.

Now IIRC those stats did drop by the end of the year but his effective rate stayed in the mid 90s.

He put on top much weight last year

Happy MEel

First Grade
Aight so at the time I applied to have him re-rated in the game I played he averaged 42 tackles a game with one miss for a 98% effective rate. In around 50 mins. He also ran for 110m a game.

Now IIRC those stats did drop by the end of the year but his effective rate stayed in the mid 90s.

He put on top much weight last year
Are we talking about the tackle efficiency stat? If so, this includes tackles made, missed tackles AND ineffective tackles (where the attacker gets an offload). Unfortunately NRL stats provides player tackle efficiency for the 2019 season but doesn’t provide it for preceding years. The ineffective tackle stats aren’t available for previous years either to work it out.

“Tackle efficiency is calculated by tackles effected divided by tackles attempted; a missed tackle or an ineffective one (an attempted tackle where the carrier produces an offload) lowers a team's tackle efficiency.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/06...--are-newcastle-the-best-tacklers-in-the-nrl/

However if you disregard the ineffective tackle data and just look at tackles made vs tackles made and missed, Alvaro’s stats are:

2015 - 99%
2016 - 95%
2017 - 95%
2018 - 97%
2019 - 93%

It does appear that Alvaro’s defence was down on previous years.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
Are we talking about the tackle efficiency stat? If so, this includes tackles made, missed tackles AND ineffective tackles (where the attacker gets an offload). Unfortunately NRL stats provides player tackle efficiency for the 2019 season but doesn’t provide it for preceding years. The ineffective tackle stats aren’t available for previous years either to work it out.

“Tackle efficiency is calculated by tackles effected divided by tackles attempted; a missed tackle or an ineffective one (an attempted tackle where the carrier produces an offload) lowers a team's tackle efficiency.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/06...--are-newcastle-the-best-tacklers-in-the-nrl/

Yes but I went through and collated from Champion round by round. Which does include ineffective. Trust me, that particular competition, if you leave out a single bit of data they'll vote you down because it's missing.

Obviously they may have updated later games in the sample (given I did it like July) but at the time he was 97.7% effective.

TheRam

Coach
Why are so many people hung up on Alvaro's abilities. If anyone can remember I rated him as a junior back when he was playing u20's. He has turned out to be slightly worse then what I expected of him but saying that he is a quality contributor to our team when playing at his best.

Due to the size of the players in the NRL and his optimum playing weight being on the lighter side he hasn't the bulk or power of the juggernauts to skittle the opposition like the Fifita's of this world. But he brings efficient rapid fire defence in the middle and at times when needed on the edge that only one other player in our team provides and that is Mahoney.

Obviously all teams need these sorts of players in their mix to balance out their roster optimally. If the question is will he perform better then he did last year? Then I believe he will. Since he has has had an injury free off season, trimmed down to his best playing weight and an added bonus of doing extra training in the sprints department(huge advantage for front rowers to have quick leg speed) and that he is coming into the best years for a prop, all the indicators are there that he will have a standout year by his own previous bench marks.

What should also give him a boost is that our front row rotation, if fully fit and all firing this year, should be powerful and even lethal to most other pack. Add our big strapping backrowers to that and we will have a very impressive six on the field at all times. So I expect his stats will be back to pre 2019 figures and may even improve a little on all previous seasons. Just playing in a consistently winning team should see to that.

So after all that, will he have a surprisingly good year this year? No of course not. Anyone who has watched his career thus far will know what his capabilities are and therefore not surprised at all. The surprise will be if he regresses and doesn't recapture the consistent form that he had previously to 2019. With all the positives going for him and one could say for the rest of the team also, the real disappointing surprise would be if he failed to be a standout consistent performer in 2020.

hindy111

Post Whore
I be honest. I kind of agree with what Ram said. Too may good points to single out one.
I change my opinion on Alvaro

TheRam

Coach
I agree with what you said. It was your bum chum who was shitcanning Alvaro. f**ken call that merkin out!

Yes I'll call him out alright. I'll call him out for being a bigger man then most of you pelicans for not being stubborn, pigheaded or to prideful to PUBLICALLY change his mind when presented with a point of view that differs from his.

So Hindy, once again you have displayed the qualities that endear us all and make you one of the standout awesome posters on this forum. If I was wearing it, I'd tip my hat to you mate. Cheers to you and yours.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yes I'll call him out alright. I'll call him out for being a bigger man then most of you pelicans for not being stubborn, pigheaded or to prideful to PUBLICALLY change his mind when presented with a point of view that differs from his.

So Hindy, once again you have displayed the qualities that endear us all and make you one of the standout awesome posters on this forum. If I was wearing it, I'd tip my hat to you mate. Cheers to you and yours.
*Cock

84 Baby

Referee

You’re right.
You’re not a pelican @hindy111 for agreeing with everything that Ram says that contradicts what you had be saying for days and ignoring all other points of view in that time

TheRam

Coach
You’re right.
You’re not a pelican @hindy111 for agreeing with everything that Ram says that contradicts what you had be saying for days and ignoring all other points of view in that time

Pelicans don't know how to post right. So why should anyone be convinced to change their minds reading their dribble? Be cool man. Get over your insecurities.

hindy111

Post Whore
You’re right.

There are people who are not to be taken seriously on this forum.
Now I had a look at the 2018 Alvaro and Terepo. Both where tremendous. And both can return to that form it will help us in our push for a premiership.

84 Baby

Referee
There are people who are not to be taken seriously on this forum.
Now I had a look at the 2018 Alvaro and Terepo. Both where tremendous. And both can return to that form it will help us in our push for a premiership.
Gee I hope Ram didn’t think Terepo was rubbish in 2018