What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wallaroo Football Club (NSW) Does anyone know anything about the old Club?

Quigs

Immortal
Thanks in advance ... I am trying to find out some information about the Wallaroo Football Club (League). Obviously a very old club.

Long story short ... My dear mum passed away over a decade ago now and at the time I received a pile of old photos etc. Mum being the horder type. Well I finally decided to sort photos out recently.

In amongst the hundreds of photos was a beautiful old team photo of the Wallaroo Footy Club Premiers 1902-3-4-5-6 and Runners-up 1907. All Players and officials are named and my old Grandfather is in the pic as the team ballboy.

The photo is 30cm x 24cm an apart from torn corners is in great nik. Lithgow Studios was the photographers that took the photo.

The team photo is too good to discard so I am hoping to find a good home to send it off too.

There is another team photo the same dimensions with all players named but not the club name .... only has S.J.F.C 1920 painted on the ball. My old grandfather played in the team.

I can only guess it might be from around the Lithgow area again.

Appreciate any information
Thanks - Quigs

Quigs

Immortal
G'day Siv and thanks for that information. The thing that throws me is the Photographers name - Lithgow Studios. (Bottom left corner) I've done a bit of Google Detective work and there was an old photography place in the Lithgow District with that name. Ive also left a message with the Lithgow Historical mob to see if they can shed some light on it

I really don't want to bin the photo.

I've attached a scan, but the actual photo is a lot clearer than it.

wallaroo-x1200.jpg

rightleftin

Juniors
There is a reference in the Sydney Morning Herald 16 April 1908 to Lithgow Wallaroos playing Wallerawang in AFL. There are also quite a few references to the club in the Lithgow Mercury in the early 1900's.

siv

First Grade
I would recommend to not bin items

You can donate them to the NSW State Library

So future generations can enjoy them

siv

First Grade
Looks like there is Wallaroo RU team associated with mines around Lithgow

Lots of comments like

Odds on being premiers again

Quigs

Immortal
Looks like there is Wallaroo RU team associated with mines around Lithgow

Lots of comments like

Odds on being premiers again
Hi Siv, where are you grabbing these comments from.

Can you give me the link TIA

Latest posts