What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: The Bush Fires + Royal Commission

84 Baby

Referee
Can Shine bring some rain?
images

TheParraboy

Staff member
Might try and get to this. Monday 16/3 at the Opera house - outdoors

Pretty good line up.
Except for Joel Creasebag, unfunniest comedian you will not get

https://thebrag.com/comedy-gala-opera-house-bushfire/

Light up the sails and be ready for some raucous laughter, The Sydney Opera House is bringing to us an entire Comedy Gala on its very steps to support the Bushfire Relief.

Australian Icon has just announced an incredible Comedy Gala on The Opera House Steps to help raise Money for Bushfire Relief.

The Sydney Opera sails will be lit tonight to show support for the communities affected by the bushfires and to acknowledge the bravery of the men and women fighting the fires across rural and regional Australia.

Sydney Opera House CEO Louise Herron said: “We are lighting the Opera House sails to show our collective support for everyone affected by these devastating fires and to express our deepest gratitude to the emergency services and volunteers for their incredible efforts and courage. As difficult circumstances continue, we want to send a message of hope and strength to the people of Australia.”

To help raise money for fire-affected communities, the Sydney Opera House and Live Nation have today announced ‘Comedy Steps Up for Bushfire Relief’ – an outdoor gala performance on the House steps and forecourt on Monday 16 March.

The night will feature major Australian artists and comedians including Arj Barker, Carl Barron, Urzila Carlson, Joel Creasey, Kitty Flanagan, Becky Lucas, Tim Minchin, Julia Morris, Harry Shearer and more to be announced.

Tickets go on sale at midday Wednesday, January 15. For tickets and more information, visit: livenation.com.au.

Proceeds from ticket sales will go towards the Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery fund, the NSW Rural Fire Service, Wildlife Victoria and WIRES.

helio-33-768x435.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
A weather geek lady on the abc said that the smoke plumes have been to NZ, South America and will soon arrive in Perth via Africa. :grimacing:

Gronk

Staff member
The yellow wiggle had a heart attack at the bushfires benefit gig at Castle Hill.

Eelogical

Referee
Just on the bushfires subject and the subsequent donations. Are there any official checks and balances in place to ensure our collective donations get directed to where they're most needed? I damn well hope they do and not get syphoned off in 'administrative fees'.

Gronk

Staff member
Just on the bushfires subject and the subsequent donations. Are there any official checks and balances in place to ensure our collective donations get directed to where they're most needed? I damn well hope they do and not get syphoned off in 'administrative fees'.
I believe that the (instagram famous) mum from Melbourne who raised $50m+ created a trust via her lawyers and directed it to the RFS in various states.

I don’t know where the money is needed most tbh. Should it go towards equipment or should the government man up and do it’s f**king job? Should it go to the uninsured or underinsured who lost their homes ?

For mine it’s the rural communities who have been hit hard by the drought and fires that need it most. Give it to the farmers who lost all their fruit trees or flocks. The cafe owners who lost xmas trade. Wires for giving a f**k when others don’t. Most importantly to the families of the fallen volunteers.

What I don’t want to see it spent on is picking up the slack for Scotty or Gladys for underfunding resources. FMD Scotty spent $185m for re-opening Xmas Island in a stunt to overturn the Medivac laws. It costs more than $3b a year for the Manus Island Nauru detention centres. Think about that. Fossil fuel industries are subsidised $29b per year. FMD.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Any reputable charity will publish their financials, from which you can ascertain how much of your donation makes it to where you you intended it to go.

I was listening to an interview with some chick on the ABC who was apparently an expert on these things the other day as I was backing my car out the driveway, and a point she did make was that if the amount of admin expenses was too low, it also likely means that they don't have the resources in place to quickly distribute funds to those in need, so that's worth considering.

Eelogical

Referee
I believe that the (instagram famous) mum from Melbourne who raised $50m+ created a trust via her lawyers and directed it to the RFS in various states.

I don’t know where the money is needed most tbh. Should it go towards equipment or should the government man up and do it’s f**king job? Should it go to the uninsured or underinsured who lost their homes ?

For mine it’s the rural communities who have been hit hard by the drought and fires that need it most. Give it to the farmers who lost all their fruit trees or flocks. The cafe owners who lost xmas trade. Wires for giving a f**k when others don’t. Most importantly to the families of the fallen volunteers.

What I don’t want to see it spent on is picking up the slack for Scotty or Gladys for underfunding resources. FMD Scotty spent $185m for re-opening Xmas Island in a stunt to overturn the Medivac laws. It costs more than $3b a year for the Manus Island Nauru detention centres. Think about that. Fossil fuel industries are subsidised $29b per year. FMD.
This isn't what I meant, and leaving political fights aside for once. At the end of the day, where does the average persons (lets say 20 bucks) go when they donate to any registered cause? Is 10 of it chewed up in admin fees, less/more? Here's just one case in point. The mrs donated $20.00 to the NSW firies 5 years ago. They got her details then continued to harrass her for three years (via phone calls) in NSW and another year after that when we moved to QLD.That 20 buck donation probably cost $100.00 in admin by the time they stopped calling her. We'll still donate, but will be far more cautious when we hand it over. The original question remains. How is that 20 bucks divided up?

Eelogical

Referee
Any reputable charity will publish their financials, from which you can ascertain how much of your donation makes it to where you you intended it to go.

I was listening to an interview with some chick on the ABC who was apparently an expert on these things the other day as I was backing my car out the driveway, and a point she did make was that if the amount of admin expenses was too low, it also likely means that they don't have the resources in place to quickly distribute funds to those in need, so that's worth considering.
I'm not having a go at any particular organisation. I'm just more wary of how our hard earned is spent when we donate. And anyhow, you should know better than to listen to the ABC while you're backing out your driveway.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I'm not having a go at any particular organisation. I'm just more wary of how our hard earned is spent when we donate. And anyhow, you should know better than to listen to the ABC while you're backing out your driveway.

i knocked the dial off 2GB when turning off the stop/start function.

Latest posts