What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU’s Movie of the Decade

So...here's my list.

It's basically my Top 10 and everything else is Equal 11.

There are a few movies I've probably overlooked/forgotten.

Infinite Man would have probably gone first as it's a fantastic sci fi/rom-com, but Toy Story 3 wins it for me. Just a good piece of entertainment, a great story [some say it is based on the Holocaust], and the emotional kick [if you've got kids] of watching your kids grow up and leave the nest. The Third Act alone is better than most movies out there but again, it resonated with me at the time as my first son was only about 12 months old. I watched it again the other day after doing this list, and I see him now as a 10 year old, big and strong, and heading in to Year 6, starting to become his own little man with responsibilities so yeah...this old sad sack bawled again.

Just back on Infinite Man...if you haven't seen it, this is a fantastic and criminally ignored/overlooked/unknown Aussie gem. I don't want to spoil the story/plot/idea but it puts sooooo many big budget films to utter shame.

Otherwise, I'm just a big goofy sci fi/space/future/adventure kind of guy with the occasional other genre thrown in.
  1. Toy Story 3
  2. Infinite Man
  3. Edge of Tomorrow
  4. Dredd
  5. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  6. What We Do In The Shadows
  7. Blade Runner 2029
  8. Joker
  9. Dark Knight Rises
  10. X-Men Days of Future Past
  11. Chappie
  12. Star Wars : Rise of Skywalker
  13. Tron Legacy
  14. Star Wars : Rogue One
  15. Bumblebee
  16. John Wick
  17. Star Wars : The Force Awakens
  18. Oblivion
  19. Interstellar
  20. The Martian
  21. Tomorrowland
  22. Midnight Special
  23. Safety Not Guaranteed
  24. Inception
  25. Attack the Block
  26. Moneyball
  27. Birdman
  28. The Zero Theorm
  29. Cloud Atlas
  30. The A-Team

Just quietly....I didn't mind I Feel Pretty either.

Generalzod

Immortal
So...here's my list.

It's basically my Top 10 and everything else is Equal 11.

There are a few movies I've probably overlooked/forgotten.

Infinite Man would have probably gone first as it's a fantastic sci fi/rom-com, but Toy Story 3 wins it for me. Just a good piece of entertainment, a great story [some say it is based on the Holocaust], and the emotional kick [if you've got kids] of watching your kids grow up and leave the nest. The Third Act alone is better than most movies out there but again, it resonated with me at the time as my first son was only about 12 months old. I watched it again the other day after doing this list, and I see him now as a 10 year old, big and strong, and heading in to Year 6, starting to become his own little man with responsibilities so yeah...this old sad sack bawled again.

Just back on Infinite Man...if you haven't seen it, this is a fantastic and criminally ignored/overlooked/unknown Aussie gem. I don't want to spoil the story/plot/idea but it puts sooooo many big budget films to utter shame.

Otherwise, I'm just a big goofy sci fi/space/future/adventure kind of guy with the occasional other genre thrown in.
  1. Toy Story 3
  2. Infinite Man
  3. Edge of Tomorrow
  4. Dredd
  5. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  6. What We Do In The Shadows
  7. Blade Runner 2029
  8. Joker
  9. Dark Knight Rises
  10. X-Men Days of Future Past
  11. Chappie
  12. Star Wars : Rise of Skywalker
  13. Tron Legacy
  14. Star Wars : Rogue One
  15. Bumblebee
  16. John Wick
  17. Star Wars : The Force Awakens
  18. Oblivion
  19. Interstellar
  20. The Martian
  21. Tomorrowland
  22. Midnight Special
  23. Safety Not Guaranteed
  24. Inception
  25. Attack the Block
  26. Moneyball
  27. Birdman
  28. The Zero Theorm
  29. Cloud Atlas
  30. The A-Team

Just quietly....I didn't mind I Feel Pretty either.
Mighty fine movies on that list.....

Misanthrope

Staff member
With LU's Favourite Movie done, it's time to do the other movie count-down: LU's Favourite Movie of the 2010s!

First thing's first, here are those that received votes, but did not make the cut:

The Big Short
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Wolf of Wall Street
Argo
Logan
Hereditary
The Dark Knight Rises
Inside Out
Death of Stalin
The Grey
Annihilation
Knives Out
Moonlight
Silver Linings Playbook
X-Men: Days of Future Past
A Star is Born
What We Do in the Shadows
Snowpiercer
Rogue One
Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse
The Muppets
Tree of Life
Blackkklansman
Cloud Atlas
Dredd
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Whiplash
The Wind Rises
Animal Kingdom
Gravity
Us
Guardians of the Galaxy
Creed
Ad Astra
Game Night
The King's Speech
War for the Planet of the Apes
Infinite Man
Macgruber
Birdman
Charlie's Country
Your Name
The Nice Guys
The Nightingale
Batman vs. Superman
Den of Thieves
Kingsman: The Secret Service
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
Amour
Get On Up
It Follows
True Grit
X-Men: First Class
Breath
Calibre
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Hell or High Water
Kubo & the Two Strings
Rush
The Hateful Eight
Buried
Drive
Free Solo
Pop Stars: Never Stop Never Stopping
The Mule
Bohemian Rhapsody
Coherence
Frozen
The Florida Project
American Sniper
Calvary
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
Red Dog
Sweet Country
Avengers: Endgame
Brightburn
Chappie
Melancholia
Beneath Hill 60
The Founder
The Girl on the Train
Four Lions
Mr. Turner
Tron Legacy
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows II
Bumblebee
Captain America: Civil War
Life
World War Z
Baby Driver
Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan
Joy
The Social Network
American Honey
Journey's End
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Manchester By the Sea
Oblivion
Seven Psychopaths
Silence
Zero Dark Thirty
10 Cloverfield Lane
The Disaster Artist
Sorry to Bother You
The Gambler
The Lego Movie
Mission Impossible: Fallout
Philomena
Spotlight
Tomorrowland
Darkest Hour
Midnight Special
My Life as a Zucchini
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Flight
Safety Not Guaranteed
The Fighter
The Babadook
Attack the Block
Bridesmaids
Green Book
Summer of 84
The Favourite
A Ghost Story
Lincoln
Mudbound
The Witch
Dallas Buyers Club
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Zero Theorem
Marriage Story
Paddington
Upgrade
War Dogs
Prometheus
Spy
The A-Team
The Conjuring
Weathering With You

We'll begin with #30 - #26 tomorrow!

Matua

Bench
Jesus, there's so many movies on there that would make my list that I'm wondering if there's another 30 movies out there to make up the list.

Whiplash didn't make it? If that La La Land garbage makes it I'm going to virtually slap you all!

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Death of Stalin
Hereditary

These are great movies. I’m really wondering what has made this list.

source.gif

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU's Favourite Movie of the 2010s: #30 - #26
#30 - The Revenant (2015) - 126 points

Director: Alejandro G. Inarritu
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Domnhall Gleeson, and Will Poulton.
Awards: Best Director, Best Cinematography, and Best Actor (Leonardo DiCaprio).

The film that finally broke Leonardo DiCaprio's Oscar drought, this visually stunning masterwork about one man's battle for revenge and survival in the harsh conditions of the Dakotas featured brutal action, breathtaking cinematography, and DiCaprio proving he will do absolutely anything to win that Oscar.

= #28 - Moneyball (2011) - 132 points

Director: Bennett Miller
Starring: Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Wright, and Chris Pratt.
Awards: N/A.

Based on the biography of the same name, 2011's Moneyball somehow managed to make the topic of crunching the numbers and statistical analysis interesting. Telling the true story of a coach and assistant's attempts to make a financially strapped baseball team successful, Moneyball finished the year on the top of many critics' favourite movies list, but was unable to convert this critical acclaim into Oscar gold.

= #28 - Deadpool (2016) - 132 points

Director: Tim Miller
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Morena Baccarin, Ed Skrein, TJ Miller, Gina Carano, and Brianna Hildebrand.
Awards: N/A.

The result of years of campaigning from star, Ryan Reynolds, the R-rated Deadpool was a long awaited adaptation of the popular fourth-wall breaking anti-hero. While he had previously seen time on the silver screen in the abysmal Wolverine, the character finally had a chance to cut loose on the big screen and it was a roaring success.

Not only did Deadpool go on to become the highest grossest R-rated film in history (a record recently broken by Joker), but the film also reinvigorated interest in more adult comic book movies. It has since spawned a similarly successful and well-liked sequel, and the future of the franchise looks assured with Disney's recent acquisition of the MCU & Fox.

#27 - Django Unchained (2012) - 138 points

Director: Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Jamie Foxx, Leonardo DiCaprio, Christophe Waltz, Samuel L Jackson, Kerry Washington, and Walton Goggins.
Awards: Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor (Christophe Waltz).

Quentin Tarantino's ultraviolent tribute to the western genre is a tale of one freed slave's search for revenge against the man who has bought his wife. Filled with quotable lines, over the top violence, and some truly terrific performances (most notably from Christophe Waltz), Django Unchained is one of Tarantino's most well-regarded films and his only entry to make this top 30.

#26 - Her (2013) - 147 points

Director: Spike Jonze
Starring: Jaoquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johannsen, Rooney Mara, Amy Adams, Olivia Wilde, Chris Pratt, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Portia Doubleday, and Brian Cox.
Awards: Best Original Screenplay.

Arguably Spike Jonze's best work, Her is a haunting, beautiful glimpse into humanity's future as well as the isolation that our increasing reliance on technology imposes upon us.

Joaquin Phoenix is stellar in his role as a depressed introvert who falls hopelessly in love with the AI virtual assistant he has purchased to improve his life. The movie is a delight in its simplicity, covering the full gamut of emotions from the excitement of new love all the way through to the heartbreak of an affair ending. It's one of my personal favourites not only of the last decade, but of all time.

King hit

Coach
Wolf of Wall Street has to be in the top 30 somewhere.

One of my favourite movies off all time