What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

Perth Red

Post Whore
View attachment 34830
The pirates doesn't feel like a Western Australian team, all i can think of is another bland "tennesee titan" or NFLs Tampa bay Bucceneers, (which i like for the older emblem they have) but not the West Coast pirates logo. Its way too new, needs to start off looking like hunter mariners logo or canberra raiders or even los Angeles/oakland raiders iconic logo, before that shiny skull and swords logo they currently have,
Which is why rugby league needs a Perth team that can pull off a better brand than "Perth Western Reds" which was not only very unique, but is etched into memories, League had always gone for the strong logo, the Australian team is the "kangaroos", you'd think union would have got that instead of a wallaby.
Who names a team after a rabbit, a rooster, a ram, a red... we should be looking at the iconing black swan of WA, it's fairly strong in terms of reflection of the state, aswell as a bit of an expansion FU to AFL, with the major colors of Gold, Black, and Red, heritage strip of the old 1995 reds jersey, like the pirates did recently

You do know we had Australia's only Pirate don't you? The Force has a Swan as its logo and why would we want to be called the same as a Sydney AFL team?
Pirates will sell sht loads of merch and game day theme'ing could be kick ass. Not to mention football west might have a problem with your badge lol

https://footballwest.com.au/black-swan-restored-to-team-crest/

jim_57

Staff member
View attachment 34830
The pirates doesn't feel like a Western Australian team, all i can think of is another bland "tennesee titan" or NFLs Tampa bay Bucceneers, (which i like for the older emblem they have) but not the West Coast pirates logo. Its way too new, needs to start off looking like hunter mariners logo or canberra raiders or even los Angeles/oakland raiders iconic logo, before that shiny skull and swords logo they currently have,
Which is why rugby league needs a Perth team that can pull off a better brand than "Perth Western Reds" which was not only very unique, but is etched into memories, League had always gone for the strong logo, the Australian team is the "kangaroos", you'd think union would have got that instead of a wallaby.
Who names a team after a rabbit, a rooster, a ram, a red... we should be looking at the iconing black swan of WA, it's fairly strong in terms of reflection of the state, aswell as a bit of an expansion FU to AFL, with the major colors of Gold, Black, and Red, heritage strip of the old 1995 reds jersey, like the pirates did recently

I don't think Pirates is the best name but firmly disagree on using Swans.

The Red Kangaroo was a pretty great look for WA I thought, just a shame it couldn't be worked in to a "brand" a little better than 'Reds'. WA/West Coast/Perth 'Red Kangaroos' could have become a cool name & brand in my opinion but it does overlap on to 3 other pro sporting teams in Reds (RU) and Kangaroos (Australia RL & AFL). Hardly rolls off the tounge I know but I don't mind the 2 word team names.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
I don't think Pirates is the best name but firmly disagree on using Swans.

The Red Kangaroo was a pretty great look for WA I thought, just a shame it couldn't be worked in to a "brand" a little better than 'Reds'. WA/West Coast/Perth 'Red Kangaroos' could have become a cool name & brand in my opinion but it does overlap on to 3 other pro sporting teams in Reds (RU) and Kangaroos (Australia RL & AFL). Hardly rolls off the tounge I know.

Western Rangs

MugaB

Coach
You do know we had Australia's only Pirate don't you? The Force has a Swan as its logo and why would we want to be called the same as a Sydney AFL team?
Pirates will sell sht loads of merch and game day theme'ing could be kick ass. Not to mention football west might have a problem with your badge lol

https://footballwest.com.au/black-swan-restored-to-team-crest/
Its a mock up, moron, just like everyone elses mock up here, football west is soccer no one is saying we use the exact logo, besides being the same as a Sydney team is what you are going for, right? NSWRL into ARL into SL.
Everyone wants a team, and i still think an older pirates logo would be better than the one they have now, same as the titans

MugaB

Coach
images.jpeg-17.jpg

Need a logo like this, like all the other 80s, 90s teams, then update to that current pirates one

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its a mock up, moron, just like everyone elses mock up here, football west is soccer no one is saying we use the exact logo, besides being the same as a Sydney team is what you are going for, right? NSWRL into ARL into SL.
Everyone wants a team, and i still think an older pirates logo would be better than the one they have now, same as the titans

So you want to change what would be a unique Australian sports brand into one that already exists in the rival code that is strong in perth, and suggested using a WA soccer logo that already exists. And I’m the moron? Lol

MugaB

Coach
So you want to change what would be a unique Australian sports brand into one that already exists in the rival code that is strong in perth, and suggested using a WA soccer logo that already exists. And I’m the moron? Lol
Nope, im saying using a newer framed logo, not the exact mock up that i made from the soccer badge, but something along the lines of that, i feel you are taking the example badge too literal, i just made these on my phone, if guess you want a better representation, using photoshop, either way i applaud your tenaciousness on the wa pirates logo, that i find very cluttered, I'm a fan of the older logos that the NSWRL and ARL had, like western reds, canberra, broncos, tigers and panthers etc had
Not a huge fan of the titans branding, which WA pirates seem to be resembling

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope, im saying using a newer framed logo, not the exact mock up that i made from the soccer badge, but something along the lines of that, i feel you are taking the example badge too literal, i just made these on my phone, if guess you want a better representation, using photoshop, either way i applaud your tenaciousness on the wa pirates logo, that i find very cluttered, I'm a fan of the older logos that the NSWRL and ARL had, like western reds, canberra, broncos, tigers and panthers etc had
Not a huge fan of the titans branding, which WA pirates seem to be resembling

pirates logo was done by same bloke as did titans. I’m agnostic on it, it’s a bit cluttered but I like the skull rather than a human pirate.

this was a simpler version I did for the Pirates supporters group, uses same skull. E9B974F2-F0B2-4586-8530-A285B17D95C2.jpeg

MugaB

Coach
pirates logo was done by same bloke as did titans. I’m agnostic on it, it’s a bit cluttered but I like the skull rather than a human pirate.

this was a simpler version I did for the Pirates supporters group, uses same skull. View attachment 34909
I like the flag version 100 fold over than the end result, here's a logo i made for gold coast titans a few years back20191223_133851.png

flippikat

Bench

I like it. An Ipswich-ish Green, Black, White, Yellow set of colours (though not the same shades, so sidestepping it there).

Ideally we'd have 3 Brisbane teams long term.. and the Broncos, your Jaguars concept, and perhaps something with a scorpion or snake as 3rd Brisbane team (colours: red & black or orange & brown ala Cleveland Browns) would do nicely IMO

West Coast Buzz.

Colours - black and predominantly yellow (the traditional WA colours and something distinctively different from other NRL teams).

The fan club The Hive.

I found this logo online - LOL. A nod to the heritage of the WC Pirates? LOL!!!

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.18.43 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.21.31 pm.png

flippikat

Bench
West Coast Buzz.

Colours - black and predominantly yellow (the traditional WA colours and something distinctively different from other NRL teams).

The fan club The Hive.

View attachment 35484

View attachment 35485

If Perth don't use black and yellow, then a Wellington based team should jump at the chance.

Ideally something like this, not the bush-shirt.

cover-image

If Perth don't use black and yellow, then a Wellington based team should jump at the chance.

Ideally something like this, not the bush-shirt.

cover-image

Ultimately, the NRL need to make sure the next 4-6 teams have colour combos that don't clash with anyone. GAZF can explain "contrast" better than me but as a simple man, yellow/black looks good and different. Would like the bears red/black back too. Something to be said about the old one colour jerseys like Steelers, Raiders, Jets too.

Broncos did it well back in 2009 against the Warriors.

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2009/07/03/broncos-support-lance-armstrongs-cancer-foundation/

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 12.36.19 pm.png

beave

Coach
West Coast Buzz.

The fan club The Hive.

View attachment 35484

View attachment 35485

at first i though that bee had a massive set of tits.......... then i realised it was just his arms crossed......

flippikat

Bench
Ultimately, the NRL need to make sure the next 4-6 teams have colour combos that don't clash with anyone. GAZF can explain "contrast" better than me but as a simple man, yellow/black looks good and different. Would like the bears red/black back too. Something to be said about the old one colour jerseys like Steelers, Raiders, Jets too.

Yep. There's three commonly used sports colour schemes that just don't exist in the NRL:

* Red and Black (eg North Sydney Bears, Canterbury/Crusaders Rugby )
* Black and Yellow (Wellington/Hurricanes rugby union, Pittsburgh Steelers, Wasps rugby union)
* Mid green & white (Celtic soccer club, Manawatu Rugby Union in New Zealand, New York Jets classic 1960s jersey)

And that's just before we get to exotic schemes like teal/orange (Miami Dolphins, Gold Coast Dolphins bid colours), Brown & orange (Cleveland Browns), Green & yellow (Gordon rugby union), maroon and light blue (West Ham Utd soccer)

Basically there's no excuse to have a new club using colours that ape an existing team - and certainly no more teams in mostly blue!

Latest posts