What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
Reboot on the run: Why Rabbitohs again among title favourites

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/20/reboot-on-the-run-why-rabbitohs-again-among-title-favourites/

South Sydney do not plan to pursue another forward for this season if the Titans refuse to release Jai Arrow until 2021 in the belief they have enough depth among their middles to complement what is now arguably the NRL's best back line.

In the past nine months, Souths have lost their last three captains, 337-gamer John Sutton, Greg Inglis (265) and Sam Burgess (182), along with England prop George Burgess (150), who boast a combined 934 NRL appearances between them.

Yet the Rabbitohs have quickly rebuilt to again be among the premiership favourites after adding Latrell Mitchell to the list of recruits since Wayne Bennett charge last season, which includes three players not even at Redfern 12 months ago in Ethan Lowe, Jaydn Su’A and James Roberts.

In addition, Souths have a host of young forward talent, with the likes of Keaon Koloamatangi, Tom Amone, Ky Rodwell and Kurt Dillon among eight props in their 29-man squad, along with Tom Burgess, Liam Knight, Tevita Tatola and Mark Nicholls.

"I think we have got more depth than we had last year, to be totally honest," Rabbitohs GM of football Shane Richardson said.

"We’ve planned well, not just for this year but the year after and probably the year after that as well. We’ve been planning a long way ahead.

Sam is a loss and you are never going to replace Sam but we have tried to reshape the side with the way we bring the ball back and obviously Latrell will make a big difference there. Eventually Arrow will slot in and pick the workload up in the middle."

Whether that is this season or in 2021 remains to be seen but the Rabbitohs believe their premiership window remains open even if Arrow doesn’t join them until next year and they have a strong leadership team of hooker Damien Cook and halves Cody Walker and Adam Reynolds.

Size and skill in the backs

The signing of Mitchell ensures Souths have one of the best back lines any club has fielded in recent seasons, with the 22-year-old superstar set to take over the No.1 jersey favoured by Inglis during his illustrious career.

Alex Johnston, Corey Allan and Adam Doueihi played fullback at various stages last season after Inglis’s sudden retirement but it has been made clear since Mitchell fell out of favour with Sydney Roosters that it is his preferred position.

The halves pairing of Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker is one of the most established in the NRL, while Braidon Burns is again fit and expected to hold down a starting centre berth alongside Roberts, with Dane Gagai and Campbell Graham on the wings.

In addition to Johnston, Allan and Doueihi, Bennett has former Kiwis centre Bryson Goodwin, Papua New Guinea utility back Edene Gebbie, Cook Islands rookie Steven Marsters and boom 20-year-old winger Jaxson Paulo to draw on.

"It is a great back line and we have got great depth," Richardson said. "Our spine has got some really good players but we have got depth under them as well.

"Troy Dargan has been really good for us, we’ve got young Dean Hawkins and also Blake Taafe, who was the NSW under 20s halfback/five-eighth last year so we have got plenty of good young halves coming through."

Forward strength

Bennett will re-shape his pack after losing players of the calibre of Sam Burgess, George Burgess and Sutton.

Cameron Murray will continue wearing the No.13 jersey for as long as he plays for Souths and is expected to eventually have the :copyright: alongside his name too, while Su’A was signed just before last year’s June 30 deadline with a view to taking over from Sutton in the second row.

Lowe joined Souths on the eve of the opening-round clash with the Roosters and performed so well he earned a State of Origin debut for Queensland in the series decider at ANZ Stadium.

Knight was recruited from Canberra last season and played 23 matches in the front row, one less than Nicholls, while Tatola featured in all 27 games for the club and Tom Burgess made 20 appearances.

The Rabbitohs have high hopes for Koloamatangi and the 191cm tall 21-year-old is equally comfortable playing in the middle or on an edge.

"We always knew that we had Koloamatangi coming through, and he will be good for us. We think he is going to be something special," Richardson said.

It would be nice to have Jai Arrow [this season] but if we can’t get him we wouldn’t go out and get somebody else.

"We are not devoid of talent on the edge or in the middle so we feel pretty good about where we are."

Leaders abound

Sutton was one of five co-captains appointed by Michael Maguire when he became Souths coach in 2012, along with Sam Burgess, Roy Asotasi, Michael Crocker and Matt King, before taking over the skipper’s role on his own.

After captaining the Rabbitohs to their first premiership in 43 years in 2014, Sutton was replaced by Inglis the following season and Burgess has performed the job whenever he was unavailable.

Walker was given the role last year but Bennett is yet to decide who will be captain this season, and the other main contenders – Cook and Reynolds – have suggested the three of them will work together regardless of who leads the side onto the field each week.

Murray is considered a future Souths and Australian captain but having only recently celebrated his 22nd birthday he is unlikely to be given the honour just yet.

Richardson also suggested Mitchell and Goodwin, who returns to the club after winning Warrington’s player’s player award last year, would have leadership roles.

"We have got lots of blokes who want to stand up and be leaders, you don’t have to prompt them," Richardson said of Walker, Cook, Reynolds and Murray.

"Under them we have got blokes like Dane Gagai, Latrell Mitchell is someone we see as a potential leader and a guy like Bryson Goodwin is really good for us because he brings a lot of leadership himself. We think he will be really good in the dressing room."

Rabbits20

Immortal
Source: The article is from SMH.

Wests Tigers have cranked up their recruitment drive by meeting Canberra giant Joey Leilua on Monday and completing the finer details on a contract they will offer Adam Doueihi in the next 48 hours.

Leilua met with club boss Justin Pascoe and coach Michael Maguire about swapping Canberra for Concord, despite having a year to run on his deal at the Green Machine.

The Tigers signed Joey’s younger brother Luciano for this season and are desperate to beef up their stocks in the outside backs.

Leilua, who stands to earn about $700,000 this season in his final year at Canberra, was already told he would not be offered a deal in 2021, and could do it tough to nail down his starting right-centre spot now Curtis Scott had arrived from Melbourne.

While the Tigers are yet to offer Leilua a deal, their pursuit of Doueihi is expected to get more serious in the coming days.

The Tigers have about $800,000 in their cap and can easily accommodate both this year.

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett informed Doueihi last week he was free to pursue a starting fullback spot elsewhere, especially with Latrell Mitchell to be given first crack at No.1.

Doueihi was given his start in the NRL by former Souths coach Maguire and signed with the Rabbitohs at the time because of their lack of depth in the halves. The chance to be Benji Marshall’s long-term five-eighth understudy also has appeal.

Having the 190cm right-footed Doueihi and left-footed halfback Luke Brooks as the playmakers would seriously excite Tigers fans in future years.

Marshall, 35, next month, is held in such high regard at the club that Tigers officials are more than happy to entertain the idea of him playing on again should he feel physically and mentally fresh at the end of the season.

The Tigers have three spots to fill on their roster, and have not given up hope of luring teen prop Stefano Utoikamanu away from Parramatta a year early.

In Doueihi’s case, the big sticking point for any move will continue to be money, especially with the Lebanon international on a back-ended deal and collecting more than $500,000 this season, then over $600,000 next year.

Souths have already told Doueihi they are happy for him to see out the final two years, and they can accommodate him in their cap, but his best hope of playing could be off the bench.

callmack1

Staff member
Source: The article is from SMH.

Wests Tigers have cranked up their recruitment drive by meeting Canberra giant Joey Leilua on Monday and completing the finer details on a contract they will offer Adam Doueihi in the next 48 hours.

Leilua met with club boss Justin Pascoe and coach Michael Maguire about swapping Canberra for Concord, despite having a year to run on his deal at the Green Machine.

The Tigers signed Joey’s younger brother Luciano for this season and are desperate to beef up their stocks in the outside backs.

Leilua, who stands to earn about $700,000 this season in his final year at Canberra, was already told he would not be offered a deal in 2021, and could do it tough to nail down his starting right-centre spot now Curtis Scott had arrived from Melbourne.

While the Tigers are yet to offer Leilua a deal, their pursuit of Doueihi is expected to get more serious in the coming days.

The Tigers have about $800,000 in their cap and can easily accommodate both this year.

South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett informed Doueihi last week he was free to pursue a starting fullback spot elsewhere, especially with Latrell Mitchell to be given first crack at No.1.

Doueihi was given his start in the NRL by former Souths coach Maguire and signed with the Rabbitohs at the time because of their lack of depth in the halves. The chance to be Benji Marshall’s long-term five-eighth understudy also has appeal.

Having the 190cm right-footed Doueihi and left-footed halfback Luke Brooks as the playmakers would seriously excite Tigers fans in future years.

Marshall, 35, next month, is held in such high regard at the club that Tigers officials are more than happy to entertain the idea of him playing on again should he feel physically and mentally fresh at the end of the season.

The Tigers have three spots to fill on their roster, and have not given up hope of luring teen prop Stefano Utoikamanu away from Parramatta a year early.

In Doueihi’s case, the big sticking point for any move will continue to be money, especially with the Lebanon international on a back-ended deal and collecting more than $500,000 this season, then over $600,000 next year.

Souths have already told Doueihi they are happy for him to see out the final two years, and they can accommodate him in their cap, but his best hope of playing could be off the bench.
Man, I'd hate to lose Doueihi but it sounds like it's gonna happen!

In other news,

The one condition required for Josh Addo-Carr to secure Melbourne Storm exit: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...is-found/4f1a8594-ebae-459e-9a24-29f622719e94

I can't see us getting Addo-Carr to be honest. At least not for 2020. I'd love it if I was wrong though!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Man, I'd hate to lose Doueihi but it sounds like it's gonna happen!

In other news,

The one condition required for Josh Addo-Carr to secure Melbourne Storm exit: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...is-found/4f1a8594-ebae-459e-9a24-29f622719e94

I can't see us getting Addo-Carr to be honest. At least not for 2020. I'd love it if I was wrong though!
It's hard to comment on rumours when we don't know the accuracy of the details, but Melbourne wanted Doueihi and we said no. Now it seems we are gonna let him walk for nothing, when we could have used him in a swap for the Fox?

I wonder who is the "third party handling the negotiations"? If it's Rose, then I'd say there is a very good chance it will get done.

Persons with good contacts in the LaPa district told me about the Fox to Souths rumour in Nov, but I never would have believed it could be possible.

It'll soften the blow of losing Doueihi, it's a bad loss

Big bunny’s public relations effort today and Douie wasn’t even referred to. He’s apparently removed the Souths gear from his personal digital media.

Shot in the back of the head for a dodgy self obsessed Mitchell.

Your club has become ruthless lately.

Sometimes it’s better to have player coming through than a troubled elite. Anchors the side in enthusiasm and prospect.

It’s a dear price to pay. Richo was saying everything is right for a few years ahead. It’s unwise to put that complacency in people’s head. He’s losing it!

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Big bunny’s public relations effort today and Douie wasn’t even referred to. He’s apparently removed the Souths gear from his personal digital media.

Shot in the back of the head for a dodgy self obsessed Mitchell.

Your club has become ruthless lately.

Sometimes it’s better to have player coming through than a troubled elite. Anchors the side in enthusiasm and prospect.

It’s a dear price to pay. Richo was saying everything is right for a few years ahead. It’s unwise to put that complacency in people’s head. He’s losing it!

So why do you care so much if you don’t support Souths?

Travitoh

First Grade
Not sure about Arrow, Titans are being strong headed about this.

The Fox rumour just wont go away, so their must be something to it

How so? Arrow is contracted to Gold Coast and letting him walk will severly damage their already slim hopes of playing finals.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
How so? Arrow is contracted to Gold Coast and letting him walk will severly damage their already slim hopes of playing finals.
I am saying they are being Strong headed, determined, unyielding.

I made no further comment about what I think they should do, or whether I think it is right or wrong.

Did you not understand that?

Travitoh

First Grade
I am saying they are being Strong headed, determined, unyielding.

I made no further comment about what I think they should do, or whether I think it is right or wrong.

Did you not understand that?

I may have misunderstood.
I thought you were angling towards suggesting they should just let him walk.
I apologise if this is the case.

Latest posts