What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nene Macdonald back at Saints

Frank Facer

First Grade
If Saab is one of the best two with Nene, why would you drop one of them for Ramsey?

That’s illogical.

Wouldn’t Ramsey then be one of our best two?
To my knowledge we haven't signed Nene yet. Nene had a major injury last year and there are questions as to whether he will regain his 2018 form. I think Ramsey looks like a very promising player. I think he looks like a winger. Mary even mentioned him in one of his interviews and he isn't even currently in the top 30 squad. Until we give Ramsey a shot, we won't know if he is one of our best two and if we do manage to sign Nene, we don't know if he will regain his 2018 form.

kit66

Bench
When Nene decides to inject himself into a game he can change the momentum and bring the fans to their feet, unfortunately those times were few and far between. I had hoped at the Dragons that he'd develop into a Justin Hodges type player ( a grub free version ) having a similar build and playing style but it never eventuated.
He doesn't have a club and can't expect too much money so I'd offer him 1 year on performance / low money contract and put him in CC, tell him if he performs we'll upgrade his $ and give him a shot in the centres. He's only 25 and can choose obscurity and working 9-5 somewhere or he can take an opportunity and turn things around for himself. I believe he still has a lot of potential.

Belta

Juniors
This.."developed a bad attitude"...stop there. He has had it for some time hence being around club to club. Waste of any money and time. We all need to move on from Nene being any form of a saviour.
Some supporters have become too despertate which I understand...just as our actual recruitment team because of our unattractive defunct head coach.

Not sure he was previous shopped around to several clubs due to a bad attitude. He came to us after we signed him from NQ for several years on (overs) good $. I think he was seen as a saviour at that time. I’d say he went ok, but For what he was on, below par. He was than offered (overs) big cash on a 3 yr deal to return to NQ. We rightly didn’t match the offer. You maybe right with his attitude but really compared what some of the current players have done, has he been that bad?

I am certainly not implying that Nene could be our saviour. I’d say a saviour would be more like someone you consider to be vital to the teams success and this importance be reflected in the value and length of his contract. Not what I’m saying, actually the opposite.

I don’t know if the fans are desperate, possibly they are but not how I see the Nene discussion going, it’s actually the opposite. The desperate party in this discussion, the one with an injury cloud over his head is the player. Nene has likely no or few options. A club may throw bread crumbs in his direction and he can either eat humble pie, keep his head down, work hard in the lower grades and if, and a big if, make a return the hard way. If he can it’s a win, if he can’t it’s a low cost performance based contract that which is never renewed.

BLM01

First Grade
Not sure he was previous shopped around to several clubs due to a bad attitude. He came to us after we signed him from NQ for several years on (overs) good $. I think he was seen as a saviour at that time. I’d say he went ok, but For what he was on, below par. He was than offered (overs) big cash on a 3 yr deal to return to NQ. We rightly didn’t match the offer. You maybe right with his attitude but really compared what some of the current players have done, has he been that bad?

I am certainly not implying that Nene could be our saviour. I’d say a saviour would be more like someone you consider to be vital to the teams success and this importance be reflected in the value and length of his contract. Not what I’m saying, actually the opposite.

I don’t know if the fans are desperate, possibly they are but not how I see the Nene discussion going, it’s actually the opposite. The desperate party in this discussion, the one with an injury cloud over his head is the player. Nene has likely no or few options. A club may throw bread crumbs in his direction and he can either eat humble pie, keep his head down, work hard in the lower grades and if, and a big if, make a return the hard way. If he can it’s a win, if he can’t it’s a low cost performance based contract that which is never renewed.
Reggies on low money Ok with that Start there. But for NRL it is what Nene does off the ball or without the ball that concerns me I suppose you're just more acceptable or lenient on his performance for us than I am

Reactions: jak

qld redvee

Juniors
if this talk is true it reeks of desperation from supercoach to save his job .. something steady on the wing that will do the job asked of him . merrin and luke old experienced players so 3 roadblocks for up and comers .. We release the guy 1 year ago ( on compassionate grounds ??? ) he cops an awful injury and then a run in with police and supercoach is wanting him back pleeeeeeze if he gets signed he will go into first grade no cc .. his "experience " means a wing spot for certain we dont need another cc winger unless he is a young up and comer .. I personally wouldnt sign him and I hate reading that he is on our radar .. someone needs to tell supercoach its NO NO to nene

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
if this talk is true it reeks of desperation from supercoach to save his job .. something steady on the wing that will do the job asked of him . merrin and luke old experienced players so 3 roadblocks for up and comers .. We release the guy 1 year ago ( on compassionate grounds ??? ) he cops an awful injury and then a run in with police and supercoach is wanting him back pleeeeeeze if he gets signed he will go into first grade no cc .. his "experience " means a wing spot for certain we dont need another cc winger unless he is a young up and comer .. I personally wouldnt sign him and I hate reading that he is on our radar .. someone needs to tell supercoach its NO NO to nene

Bang in Q RedVee,

He’s way past his best.
He has continual issues.
He has a dud ankle.
He’s a problem child.
He’ll be taking a younger upcoming player, place.

As you and others have said, this can and only end up in one direction.

NO!
NO!
NO!
Repeat ......

Old Timer

Coach
When Nene decides to inject himself into a game he can change the momentum and bring the fans to their feet, unfortunately those times were few and far between. I had hoped at the Dragons that he'd develop into a Justin Hodges type player ( a grub free version ) having a similar build and playing style but it never eventuated.
He doesn't have a club and can't expect too much money so I'd offer him 1 year on performance / low money contract and put him in CC, tell him if he performs we'll upgrade his $ and give him a shot in the centres. He's only 25 and can choose obscurity and working 9-5 somewhere or he can take an opportunity and turn things around for himself. I believe he still has a lot of potential.
Indeed as you say he he has plenty of potential especially the "to be a pain in the arse" type of potential.
Potentially a big distraction if not a bad influence for the young guys and that's in addition to the couple of troubled players we have just signed.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Indeed as you say he he has plenty of potential especially the "to be a pain in the arse" type of potential.
Potentially a big distraction if not a bad influence for the young guys and that's in addition to the couple of troubled players we have just signed.

It's a no from me as well - I think that makes it just about unanimous- which means that we're certainties to recruit him.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Just that OKB 1 , there are a few young up and comers merely waiting their opportunity to make a name for themselves in the top grade - we simply cannot afford to delay them or they will be off elsewhere.

Absolutely right Gareth- as the old saying goes- if they're good enough, they're old enough. I'm old enough to remember Geoff Starling playing Jersey Flegg for Balmain one year and the next year playing first grade and going on a Kangaroo tour to NZ at age 18.

jak

Bench
Absolutely right Gareth- as the old saying goes- if they're good enough, they're old enough. I'm old enough to remember Geoff Starling playing Jersey Flegg for Balmain one year and the next year playing first grade and going on a Kangaroo tour to NZ at age 18.
your right mate , back in the good old days when they played football. also if you were playing badley you got dropped to reserve grade when was the last time you saw that

Gareth67

First Grade

Yes I remember Geoff Starling Red&white4evr , quite a talented footy player . There were many youngsters who made the big jump from the juniors straight into 1sts over the year . One whom I always liked was the Eels Keith Campbell from the late 60’s , only young himself and a true Parramatta boy over the years .

I think he represented Australia at some stage of his career. My mates and I lived close to Cumberland Oval and would often go and watch the Eels matches .The big games were of course against the mighty Saints , it was during those games that the kind hearted Parramatta fans would teach me and my mates new swear words to take home with us . :innocent:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
your right mate , back in the good old days when they played football. also if you were playing badley you got dropped to reserve grade when was the last time you saw that

Could be because we no longer have a genuine ‘reserve’ grade?

The playing stocks are thinning out.

I yearn for the good old days of watching all three grades play on the same day.

Was it Micheal Sorridimi played in all three grades at Kogarah Oval one Sunday afternoon?

Drakon

Juniors
Could be because we no longer have a genuine ‘reserve’ grade?

The playing stocks are thinning out.

I yearn for the good old days of watching all three grades play on the same day.

Was it Micheal Sorridimi played in all three grades at Kogarah Oval one Sunday afternoon?
Michael Sorridimi or Zorro was actually in the year ahed of me at Kogarah High School. I was surprised when I first found out he was playing for the Dragons.

rasaint

Juniors
I acknowledge all the arguments not to have Nene back. Fair enough.

In 2018 ( pre ankle break) he was good for us. No not Ado Carr but he carried and bent the line back early in many of our sets. We missed his 108kg punch getting some momentum early in the count 2019.

Genuinely fast for a big guy and can score long range trys. If he gets fresh air in front of him, such as an intercept or put through a gap he will normally score.

If a one year deal at bargain $$$ Nene probably worth a risk. Nathan Fien came back from a significant ankle break in 2010 to be available late in the year for our successful grand final.

Plus Saab on one side and Nene the other two tall wingers for a cross kick.

Latest posts