What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Doueihi

Warabrook saint

Juniors
if Douehi is that good he would hold down a backline position at Souths over someone else.
Having said that i agree he is a good player and can offer something to someone but it seems at this stage it is utility. he could certainly get a start in our side but his management are asking too much money for what he has produced week in week out.
Just shows how well off souths are. And to think back how they were also rans in the eighties nineties and early two thousands

BLM01

First Grade
I think Souths should play Doueihi halfback. I think he has a better all round game than Adam Overrated Reynolds. I think 5/8 is Doueihi's best position, but Cody Walker has been one of Souths best over the last 2 or 3 years.
I agree except every time he plays against the dragons AR pulls out duds down and drives the nail in our coffin! but I suppose I am talking about a team that is coached to compete Mc40 out of 80 mins

LINESPEED

Juniors
I agree except every time he plays against the dragons AR pulls out duds down and drives the nail in our coffin! but I suppose I am talking about a team that is coached to compete Mc40 out of 80 mins

Mc40 lol

It’s due to McFail’s low IQ’d poor attention span.
Second order abstraction is totally beyond his mental capacity.

Explains everything about his footy unfortunately.

And his struggles are so patently obvious.

Due diligence was not done.

getsmarty

Immortal
Work with one of his relatives.
Won't be at saints.
Storm favourites to get him

Correct....Was looking likely to stay @ souths, but now things are changing....there are a few more player movements involved.

P.S Was never coming here...Paper talk as we made inquiries a while ago....just refer to what Choc wrote last week...

The Stumbling block is the coach....Time for the Board to wake up and move him on..........How long do we have to wait.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The whole Ben Hunt thing can be attributed to paying overs to get him here. Many on here argue that the club paid too much for him. I don't believe he is getting the money quoted in the media, however I do believe that a club with a better coach would have been able to secure his services for a lower price. In this case money talked. Latrell is a great example of this - knocked back a huge offer (some would say overs) from the Tigers to play for the Rabbits under a better coach. That's what players are looking for.

This then leads to your statement about cap mismanagement. The only way to get quality players here at the moment is to pay significant overs - as a result of the coach AND the fact the club doesn't look anywhere near ready to challenge for the title. So Millward is on a hiding to none. In order to attract good players, he's got to pay more for them, therefore restricting his ability to secure quality across the paddock. Don't get me started on third party...

Lastly, the issue with the youngsters is that they aren't getting a shot in first grade. They are looking for that step up but Mary isn't giving them that let alone a starting spot. Not only that, for some of them, we've already got quality players in their preferred position so that opportunity to break into the big time is still likely years away if they stay with us. Like I said, it's a no win situation for Millward at the moment.[/QUOTE

Yes- I sound like a broken record here- Mary is lead in the saddle when trying to recruit good players- no argument about that.

However, that doesn't exempt Millward from criticism from recruitment decisions that have nothing to do with Mary. Exhibit A- the fhird year option in Graham's favour- which of course he has exercised- he's not stupid-not when it comes to money anyway- but he will be 35 when the contract expires at years end and his best years are now well behind him . Also, after recent concussions, we all know he's only one significant knock away from a CTE induced medical retirement and with the way he throws his body around that could happen anytime. We could well be another player down on top of De Belin.

Exhibit B- last year's recruitment of Lachlan Maranta. No one can tell me Mary would have been banging Millward's door down demanding he recruit Maranta. He was buried so deep in Queensland Rugby no one would have known of his existence- apart from Millward and the player's agent who probably contacted him. If Millward had done his homework, he would have learnt that Greg Martin - a former Wallaby and current Fox Rugby commentator- publicly stated that he was the worst recruit the Reds had ever made. Discarded by Wayne Bennett and the Broncos, he was a squad player for two years 2017-2018 and never played a match for the Reds.

'But we recruited him for 2019 - and the outcome- he lasted one year and we released him to go back to Queensland Rugby League.

Possm some time ago made the observation that Millward is lazy and goes for the easy signing- and I tend to agree with him. There would have been promising backs in CC that would have been available and offered much more than that bloke- but no, It's hard to avoid the conclusion that Millward is just another example of the cronyism and nepotism that this club is famous for.

redVinme

Juniors

Funnily enough if JDB is found guilty and we lose Graham early on to med retirement we will have a 1m + war chest.

I tend to agree on Millward but nothing would surprise me with Mary in regards to experience over youth.

The issue here is simple and over all I think our biggest problem.

Mary can't nuture and develop young players to a first grade standard and he knows it. That's why he will always look for experience so hopefully someone else has already done a good job with them.

I believe that's why our juniors never reach their potential here or get frustrated waiting and leave. It's neglegent and detrimental to young careers.

There are heaps of good young backs out there. Canberra has two in Reggie's that would be instantly pushing for 1st grade but no way could Mary get them there.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I'm curious to know everyones thoughts on the signings of:
Sullivan
Lomax
Saab
SSE
Sloane
Schiller
Fegai x 2
Sailor
Blacker
Kerr
Lawrie
Lovodua
Clune

All pretty easy, right?

Good signings - but there are pedestrian roadblocks in front of every one of them on McPrince’s Hwy.

Carefully engineered imo

And the traffic control officer is staring head down dazed at the bitumen - looking forward to his beer with the ever smiling plodders.

So it’s another year of detours, potholes, 40zones & breakdowns.

Someone please call the tow truck

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
I'm curious to know everyones thoughts on the signings of:
Sullivan
Lomax
Saab
SSE
Sloane
Schiller
Fegai x 2
Sailor
Blacker
Kerr
Lawrie
Lovodua
Clune

All pretty easy, right?
I like it and are the future foundation with exception of Clune but back up he is
Remember Mary's. OPINOF
Well unfortunately he is our past but not our future
You forgot Ramsey
Millward hopefully laying the foundation for someone else By Round 1 2021 at the latest Here's hoping
All we need for next year is a few more top shelf backs and we are on the climb instead of the decline

st george sam

Juniors
Good signings - but there are pedestrian roadblocks in front of every one of them on McPrince’s Hwy.

Carefully engineered imo

And the traffic control officer is staring head down dazed at the bitumen - looking forward to his beer with the ever smiling plodders.

So it’s another year of detours, potholes, 40zones & breakdowns.

Someone please call the tow truck

Open up the Flanno Expressway!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting that people put s#*t on Millward for the signings he makes, yet in the same breathe say the main issue us the roadblock we have as coach.
I dont say or think Millward is the doyen of recruitement managers, far from it, the real test for him will come when McRoadblock is removed and the door opens ( hopefully with Flanno or similar). Thats when we can judge his recruitement. From the list I provided above, at the very least, we are in a strong position moving forward to maintain our brightest youngsters.

True_Believer

Juniors
Yes- I sound like a broken record here- Mary is lead in the saddle when trying to recruit good players- no argument about that.

However, that doesn't exempt Millward from criticism from recruitment decisions that have nothing to do with Mary. Exhibit A- the fhird year option in Graham's favour- which of course he has exercised- he's not stupid-not when it comes to money anyway- but he will be 35 when the contract expires at years end and his best years are now well behind him . Also, after recent concussions, we all know he's only one significant knock away from a CTE induced medical retirement and with the way he throws his body around that could happen anytime. We could well be another player down on top of De Belin.

Exhibit B- last year's recruitment of Lachlan Maranta. No one can tell me Mary would have been banging Millward's door down demanding he recruit Maranta. He was buried so deep in Queensland Rugby no one would have known of his existence- apart from Millward and the player's agent who probably contacted him. If Millward had done his homework, he would have learnt that Greg Martin - a former Wallaby and current Fox Rugby commentator- publicly stated that he was the worst recruit the Reds had ever made. Discarded by Wayne Bennett and the Broncos, he was a squad player for two years 2017-2018 and never played a match for the Reds.

'But we recruited him for 2019 - and the outcome- he lasted one year and we released him to go back to Queensland Rugby League.

Possm some time ago made the observation that Millward is lazy and goes for the easy signing- and I tend to agree with him. There would have been promising backs in CC that would have been available and offered much more than that bloke- but no, It's hard to avoid the conclusion that Millward is just another example of the cronyism and nepotism that this club is famous for.

Again, I think you have missed the point.

Firstly, how do you know Grahams contract was in his favour? I don't profess to know the details of contracts, however I'd suggest there isn't a contract written in the NRL that would take the control out of the hands of the club. It would need to be agreed to by both parties and I'd suggest that not only does he still provide some value - both on and off the field, but that Mary would be part of that decision. The contract would have had to have been discussed between coach and player. Additionally, at the time of signing, there would have been no way to know how long he would add value for. So the 3rd year option was not the wrong option in my opinion. Everything is great in hindsight though which is what you are using. And you really have no idea what position Graham is in medically.

Lachlan Maranta would have been dirt cheap to fill a short term gap. This whole thread highlights that those CC players that you believe want to sign with us don't even want to come to the club because of the coach. So again, your argument that Millward has a choice here is wrong. The only people willing to come to the club at the moment are those players like Maranta that want a second chance and don't care about winning a premiership or want a final pay day OR players that are on the outer at their current club. Trying to secure seasoned quality players or even potential quality CC players is a non-event until the coach is moved on. So he's not a 'lazy' recruiter, he's working with what is left.

I'm not suggesting that he is perfect or that he isn't part of the boys club mentality at the Dragons - but you have to take a step back and realistically look at the situation he is in. You read comments on here from Adam AND comments made by LL recently - the problem that needs fixing is the coach.

Let me ask you - if you were recruitment manager, how would you sell coming to the club in the current situation?

getsmarty

Immortal
Unfortunately, Silverman was becoming a little tarnished and no matter how much polish we tried to apply he was losing his lustre. We had to set him free. :astonished::astonished:

Ha, Ha....well there will certainly be a number of disgruntled fans ...muzby is one of silverman's greatest advocates...

getsmarty

Immortal
Interesting that people put s#*t on Millward for the signings he makes, yet in the same breathe say the main issue us the roadblock we have as coach.
I dont say or think Millward is the doyen of recruitement managers, far from it, the real test for him will come when McRoadblock is removed and the door opens ( hopefully with Flanno or similar). Thats when we can judge his recruitement. From the list I provided above, at the very least, we are in a strong position moving forward to maintain our brightest youngsters.

100% correct....we will get a better idea when coach is gone, but even then lack of 3rd party and Wollongong are also part of the equation...some don't want to re locate.

True_Believer

Juniors

Spot on. The same applies to our current roster. Until Mary is gone, we really can't make a call on how good our recruitment or roster is. It's like we are stuck in a holding pattern at the moment.

And with the youngsters, you again are correct. We seem to be able to secure the best right up to the final stepping stone - so in my opinion the pathways is working as intended. However, when it's time to open the door to the NRL, that door appears to be firmly locked and barricaded with a brick wall.