What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st 4 weeks of 2020

BLM01

First Grade
aitken on the left...poor left side winger...zero tries for you from aitken....seriously, aitken is dead wood...only mcgregor would try and find a spot for his "Pet" player in the side.

86...I dont like either Aitken or Lafai as I rate them near the bottom of the Top 32 NRL centres but I would have the former over the 2.
And people forget Aitken can pass better left to right but is still a hog. And I dont trust our centre recruitment of Williame or TF are any better at NRL level than the dynamic duo. So..unless SSE or Feagai bros are ready we dont have 2 decent centres. Lomax is a natural right centre and should be wearing the 3 jersey.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Some great team selections and all seem to have merit. I really don't care whom is selected as long as McGregor & Dean Young have zero say in our attack.

I do not want to see a repeat of the forward power game that runs out of puff mid season.
I do not want to see JDB, James Graham or Trent Merrin used at Lock in a similar sweeping link role like a Dean Young played some 10 to 12 years years ago.

I want to see our backs with speed & footwork setting up our wingers & fullback.
Pick the best that are in form irrespective of their age & experience.

BLM01

First Grade
Some great team selections and all seem to have merit. I really don't care whom is selected as long as McGregor & Dean Young have zero say in our attack.

I do not want to see a repeat of the forward power game that runs out of puff mid season.
I do not want to see JDB, James Graham or Trent Merrin used at Lock in a similar sweeping link role like a Dean Young played some 10 to 12 years years ago.

I want to see our backs with speed & footwork setting up our wingers & fullback.
Pick the best that are in form irrespective of their age & experience.
You cant get those backline plays you dream of when they stand so shallow or flat footed in attack and our forwards dont break the advantage line

Coffs dragon

Bench
You cant get those backline plays you dream of when they stand so shallow or flat footed in attack and our forwards dont break the advantage line
That's why I suggested McGregor & Young have zero input to the attacking structure or it will be the same lame shit!
I sure hope Shepperd get's to fix the problems of standing flat and offering little. New ideas & new blood may give us some hope.

BLM01

First Grade
That's why I suggested McGregor & Young have zero input to the attacking structure or it will be the same lame shit!
I sure hope Shepperd get's to fix the problems of standing flat and offering little. New ideas & new blood may give us some hope.
Dont forget Flanno's input. He was assisting Shepherd back from when he started in late Nov?....probably while Mary was learning coaching philosophy and more one liners to add to his repetoire while in the US.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons’ best 17: Make or break for backline stars as pressure mounts
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

7b6369a5fecfc9cc1704ea10f1df3efa

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the pump heading into 2020. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source: AAP
St George Illawarra is under a great deal of pressure heading into 2020 following last year’s dismal display.

Despite their 15th place finish and a number of stars underperforming, the bulk of the squad remains in tact which can viewed either positively or negatively, depending on which way you look at it.

The club’s biggest loss is former captain Gareth Widdop, who is now back in England, but they got a taste at what life will be like without him while he was sidelined with a serious shoulder injury last year.

Other outs include Luciano Leilua, who has joined Wests Tigers, and the now-retired Jeremy Latimore, while Jack de Belin remains stood down pending the result of his sexual assault court case.

New recruits Trent Merrin and Issac Luke appear destined for spots in the first-choice 17, despite many pundits believing they’re past their best.

But while the forward pack picks itself with a number of representative stars, the club’s backline raises the most questions.

A number of players were rotated throughout the back five in 2019, with coach Paul McGregor unable to settle on his most potent combinations, although he has locked in Zac Lomax at fullback for Round 1.

For centres Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, this year looms as a particularly defining one with the pair off-contract and coming off indifferent seasons.

The wing is also an area of concern, but 199cm flyer Jason Saab emerged as a star of the future last season and stands to benefit this year from the tackling-in-mid-air rule change.

THE STRENGTH

The pack

While they failed to fire for periods of 2019, the Red V’s forwards still pack plenty of punch and McGregor will be hoping they pay the platform for his backs this season.

Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims and Tyson Frizell are all NSW Origin representatives, while James Graham and Korbin Sims have plenty of international experience.

Hooker Cameron McInnes is also coming off his best ever season.

A number of the club’s young prospects like Blake Lawrie earned valuable NRL time last season which will give them plenty of confidence heading into this season.

PRESSURE IS ON

The whole team

The Dragons are coming off their worst ever season as a joint venture having finished 15th in 2019.

Last year they had the second-worst defence in the competition, so if they’re any chance of moving up the ladder, they must improve that aspect of their game.

Their attack also needs plenty of work and the heat will be on Norman and Hunt to step up with Widdop now gone.

10283d6dcb8d5b4c58933093e0f2eaa4

Corey Norman needs to perform in 2020. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)Source: AAP
THE RISING STAR

Eddie Blacker

Standing at 195cm and weighing 116kg, Blacker is a young prop on the rise.

The 20-year-old joined the Dragons in 2019 on a development deal, but is a member of the top 30 squad this season.

Blacker’s had the chance to pick the brains of the club’s experienced forwards over the past 12 months which will put him in good stead if an NRL berth comes knocking in 2020.

With Lomax to get the No.1 jumper, Matt Dufty and Tristan Sailor appear destined for a stint in reserve grade to start the season, although the latter could find himself in the running for a wing spot.

Another contender for the wing is Mikaele Ravalawa who has appeared to drop down the pecking order.

Brayden Wiliame, who has joined the club after impressing for Catalans in Super League, will put pressure on the likes of Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai who struggled to find form in 2019.

Others who will be pushing for likely bench spots include Josh Kerr and Jacob Host who gained valuable NRL experience last season.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR …

Zac Lomax

After signing a lucrative long-term extension with the club, Lomax will take over the Dragons’ No.1 jersey in 2020.

While there have been huge raps on the 20-year-old in the junior grades, the start to his NRL career has been a mixed bag of performances which could be put down to a constant changing of positions.

But with McGregor declaring Lomax will get first crack at fullback, a position he played growing up, the stability around his on-field future will only benefit him.

c068ef6ee7ba595d978f348d29c376d8

Zac Lomax (R) will get first crack at fullback. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
DRAGONS’ BEST 17

1. Zac Lomax

2. Jordan Pereira

3. Euan Aitken

4. Tim Lafai

5. Jason Saab

6. Corey Norman

7. Ben Hunt

8. James Graham

9. Cameron McInnes

10. Paul Vaughan

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Tariq Sims

13. Trent Merrin

14. Issac Luke

15. Korbin Sims

16. Blake Lawrie

17. Jackson Ford

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/bff257d2c603da09e56ba981be6d18ae

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Dragons’ best 17: Make or break for backline stars as pressure mounts
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

7b6369a5fecfc9cc1704ea10f1df3efa

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the pump heading into 2020. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source: AAP
St George Illawarra is under a great deal of pressure heading into 2020 following last year’s dismal display.

Despite their 15th place finish and a number of stars underperforming, the bulk of the squad remains in tact which can viewed either positively or negatively, depending on which way you look at it.

The club’s biggest loss is former captain Gareth Widdop, who is now back in England, but they got a taste at what life will be like without him while he was sidelined with a serious shoulder injury last year.

Other outs include Luciano Leilua, who has joined Wests Tigers, and the now-retired Jeremy Latimore, while Jack de Belin remains stood down pending the result of his sexual assault court case.

New recruits Trent Merrin and Issac Luke appear destined for spots in the first-choice 17, despite many pundits believing they’re past their best.

But while the forward pack picks itself with a number of representative stars, the club’s backline raises the most questions.

A number of players were rotated throughout the back five in 2019, with coach Paul McGregor unable to settle on his most potent combinations, although he has locked in Zac Lomax at fullback for Round 1.

For centres Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, this year looms as a particularly defining one with the pair off-contract and coming off indifferent seasons.

The wing is also an area of concern, but 199cm flyer Jason Saab emerged as a star of the future last season and stands to benefit this year from the tackling-in-mid-air rule change.

THE STRENGTH

The pack

While they failed to fire for periods of 2019, the Red V’s forwards still pack plenty of punch and McGregor will be hoping they pay the platform for his backs this season.

Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims and Tyson Frizell are all NSW Origin representatives, while James Graham and Korbin Sims have plenty of international experience.

Hooker Cameron McInnes is also coming off his best ever season.

A number of the club’s young prospects like Blake Lawrie earned valuable NRL time last season which will give them plenty of confidence heading into this season.

PRESSURE IS ON

The whole team

The Dragons are coming off their worst ever season as a joint venture having finished 15th in 2019.

Last year they had the second-worst defence in the competition, so if they’re any chance of moving up the ladder, they must improve that aspect of their game.

Their attack also needs plenty of work and the heat will be on Norman and Hunt to step up with Widdop now gone.

10283d6dcb8d5b4c58933093e0f2eaa4

Corey Norman needs to perform in 2020. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)Source: AAP
THE RISING STAR

Eddie Blacker

Standing at 195cm and weighing 116kg, Blacker is a young prop on the rise.

The 20-year-old joined the Dragons in 2019 on a development deal, but is a member of the top 30 squad this season.

Blacker’s had the chance to pick the brains of the club’s experienced forwards over the past 12 months which will put him in good stead if an NRL berth comes knocking in 2020.

With Lomax to get the No.1 jumper, Matt Dufty and Tristan Sailor appear destined for a stint in reserve grade to start the season, although the latter could find himself in the running for a wing spot.

Another contender for the wing is Mikaele Ravalawa who has appeared to drop down the pecking order.

Brayden Wiliame, who has joined the club after impressing for Catalans in Super League, will put pressure on the likes of Euan Aitken and Tim Lafai who struggled to find form in 2019.

Others who will be pushing for likely bench spots include Josh Kerr and Jacob Host who gained valuable NRL experience last season.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR …

Zac Lomax

After signing a lucrative long-term extension with the club, Lomax will take over the Dragons’ No.1 jersey in 2020.

While there have been huge raps on the 20-year-old in the junior grades, the start to his NRL career has been a mixed bag of performances which could be put down to a constant changing of positions.

But with McGregor declaring Lomax will get first crack at fullback, a position he played growing up, the stability around his on-field future will only benefit him.

c068ef6ee7ba595d978f348d29c376d8

Zac Lomax (R) will get first crack at fullback. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)Source: Getty Images
DRAGONS’ BEST 17

1. Zac Lomax

2. Jordan Pereira

3. Euan Aitken

4. Tim Lafai

5. Jason Saab

6. Corey Norman

7. Ben Hunt

8. James Graham

9. Cameron McInnes

10. Paul Vaughan

11. Tyson Frizell

12. Tariq Sims

13. Trent Merrin

14. Issac Luke

15. Korbin Sims

16. Blake Lawrie

17. Jackson Ford

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/bff257d2c603da09e56ba981be6d18ae
Boom!

Old Timer

Coach
Ok the comp is about to kick off and you pick your team out of the squad we have minus JDB as no guarantees he will be available.
Give some logic why you pick the players and what you expect to them to deliver and what you will do if after 4 weeks there are issues that are so apparent they won't go away.
Simple exercise that doesn't need cut and paste articles unless you agree 100% with it or in fact wrote it.

getsmarty

Immortal
Ok the comp is about to kick off and you pick your team out of the squad we have minus JDB as no guarantees he will be available.
Give some logic why you pick the players and what you expect to them to deliver and what you will do if after 4 weeks there are issues that are so apparent they won't go away.
Simple exercise that doesn't need cut and paste articles unless you agree 100% with it or in fact wrote it.

sorry O.T.... just thought this was relevant to the discussion.

Old Timer

Coach
sorry O.T.... just thought this was relevant to the discussion.
No issue with that.
Some people posted teams and offered only the team with no reference to the other parts of the equation.
So was it their team or was it the team they considered most likely to be picked (not very hard to do) which in fact was not the question being asked.

possm

Coach
1 Lomax
2 Saab
3Sailor
4Ravalawa
5Periera
6 Hunt
7 Norman
8 Merrin
9 Mcinnes
10 Vaughan
11 Sims T
12 Ford
13 Frizell
14 Graham
15 Lawrie
16 Sims K
17 Bully or Kerr. well your dreaming again O D
Why are people selecting Saab on the left wing and Pereira on the right? Surely it should be the opposite way around.

possm

Coach
Please.

We’d need to mature several levels to reach schoolyard level.
I believe at this point in time we should include De Belin in our round one team and I doubt Graham will be medically fit to play; this will become apparent in the pre-season trials. Mary has said that Lomax will start at fullback, so my team is:

1. Lomax
2. Pereira
3. Aitken / Ravalawa
4. Lafai / Williame
5. Saab
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Merrin
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Luke
15. K Sims
16. Laurie / Kerr
17. Ford

Old Timer

Coach
I believe at this point in time we should include De Belin in our round one team and I doubt Graham will be medically fit to play; this will become apparent in the pre-season trials. Mary has said that Lomax will start at fullback, so my team is:

1. Lomax
2. Pereira
3. Aitken / Ravalawa
4. Lafai / Williame
5. Saab
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Merrin
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Luke
15. K Sims
16. Laurie / Kerr
17. Ford
FFS read the premise of the thread.
It doesn't ask for you to take Mary's selections or thoughts into account it asks for your thoughts and rationale.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Why are people selecting Saab on the left wing and Pereira on the right? Surely it should be the opposite way around.

Correct, Saab is a right side player and Periera is best suited on the left.

The issue, I feel, revolves around who do you put outside Aitken. Having Saab on the right gives the option to bypass Aitken with a bomb to the flanks.

Latest posts