What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Mcinnes

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

McInnes, McGregor on captaincy appointment

DRAGONS

McInnes officially named Dragons captain
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 20 Jan 2020, 08:00 AM

St George Illawarra have today officially announced Cameron McInnes as the Dragons' new captain ahead of the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

McInnes replaces Gareth Widdop as the club's skipper following the English international's departure to the Warrington Wolves.

McInnes joined the Dragons from the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2017 and has only missed one game since arriving at the Red V. McInnes has also won every performance-based award available in his three seasons at the club.

At 25 years old, McInnes becomes the second-youngest captain in the joint-venture's history.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons. It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain," McInnes, who has played 112 NRL games to date, said.

"This club has a great fan base and following so to be their captain is a huge responsibility. I'm focused and plan on upholding the club's legacy and doing everyone proud.

"It's a challenge I'm looking forward to. There's plenty of great people at this club who will help me along the way, which is great as I have plenty of learning and growth as a player to come."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said the decision to appoint McInnes as Dragons captain was a huge positive for the club leading into the new season.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards. His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached," McGregor said.

"Cameron plays with passion, he's gritty and he's a trustworthy liaison between the staff and players. He's been our most consistent player over the past three years which was really important when it came to deciding the leader of the club."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/20/mcinnes-officially-named-dragons-captain/

getsmarty

Immortal
Cameron McInnes to lead St George Illawarra Dragons in 2020
Dragons Den
r0_204_4000_2462_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Leader: Cameron McInnes has been named Dragons captain for the 2020 season. Picture: Anna Warr
He was the inspirational leader throughout a challenging 2019 and now Cameron McInnes has been named the official on-field leader of the St George Illawarra Dragons.

With Gareth Widdop departing for Warrington in the English Super League, McInnes will captain the Dragons in 2020.

At just 25-years-of-age, the hooker is the second youngest player to captain the joint venture and he said it's a privilege to be selected to lead the team.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons," McInnes said. "It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain.

"This club has a great fan base and following so to be their captain is a huge responsibility. I'm focused and plan on upholding the club's legacy and doing everyone proud.

"It's a challenge I'm looking forward to. There's plenty of great people at this club who will help me along the way, which is great as I have plenty of learning and growth as a player to come."

McInnes arrived at the Dragons in 2017, having played the first three years of his career with the South Sydney Rabbitohs.

He has missed just one match for the club in that time, last year's round 25 clash with the Gold Coast Titans after he suffered a broken leg the previous week.

A member of the leadership group and stand-in captain during the past two seasons, McInnes is highly regarded by his teammates.

The hooker was a rare bright spot throughout a disastrous 2019 and he regularly drew praise from those within the club for his effort and high standards.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor said the 112-game star is the right man to lead the team back to the NRL finals.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards," McGregor said. "His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached.

"Cameron plays with passion, he's gritty and he's a trustworthy liaison between the staff and players. He's been our most consistent player over the past three years which was really important when it came to deciding the leader of the club."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...lawarra-dragons-announce-new-captain/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc-1gp_2524.jpg

DRAGONS

McInnes to lead Red V in 2020
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Mon 20 Jan 2020, 08:42 AM

New Dragons captain Cameron McInnes is ready to accept the "huge responsibility" that comes with the job.

The Dragons announced on Monday that McInnes would take the job created by Gareth Widdop's return to England.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons. It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain," McInnes said.

remote.axd

McInnes named new Dragons captain

The 25-year-old hooker, known for a tireless work ethic, has played 112 NRL matches after making his debut with South Sydney in 2014.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said McInnes' on-field consistency played a role in the club's decision.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards. His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached," McGregor said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/20/mcinnes-to-captain-dragons-in-2020/

getsmarty

Immortal
Cameron McInnes announced as St George Illawarra Dragons captain

$
© Getty Images
St George Illawarra has announced star hooker Cameron McInnes as club captain for 2020.

The 25-year-old replaces playmaker Gareth Widdop who returned to his native England to play with Warrington.

McInnes' consistent performances in the middle of the park for the Dragons have earned him plenty of respect from teammates and opponents.

The dummy half is remarkably durable, having missed only one game in his three seasons at the club despite being a regular at the top of the tackling charts.

Speaking following the announcement, McInnes said he was proud to lead the club.

"It's a huge honour to be named captain of the St George Illawarra Dragons. It was an unbelievable feeling when I was told I would be the captain," McInnes said.

Captain Cam has a nice ring to it, wouldn't you say?

— St George Illawarra Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) January 19, 2020
McInnes has played 112 NRL games, 73 at the Dragons since moving from South Sydney at the end of the 2016 season.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor spoke highly of his new skipper.

"Cameron demonstrates, drives and reinforces what is acceptable and not acceptable in our club's behaviour and standards," McGregor said.

"His ability to play through pain and fatigue is as good as anyone I have coached.

"Cameron plays with passion, he's gritty and he's a trustworthy liaison between the staff and players.

"He's been our most consistent player over the past three years which was really important when it came to deciding the leader of the club."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/othe...t-george-illawarra-dragons-captain/ar-BBZ7oE8

BLM01

First Grade
A very worthy honour & 100% the right call. Congrats Cam and may the others follow your lead.
Agree or disagree with this decision but one thing you can't take away from him if there is a player in our club that is inspirational and leads by example in all effort areas and defence Cam is our man.May need to work on his negotiation skills with the referees
But everything Mary described what Csm was all about Mary does the exact opposite relative to coaching.

SnowDragon

Juniors
A year ago I would have picked someone else... but after 2019 he is the obvious choice. It has rightly been raised that he isn’t a Cam Smith (scam you 4-5 dodgy penalties by reffing the refs), but his leadership is clear

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc-1gp_2524.jpg

DRAGONS

McInnes wants to see action, not hear excuses
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 20 Jan 2020, 05:20 PM

New Dragons captain Cameron McInnes admits it sounds harsh but he won't accept any issues away from football as excuses for poor form this year.

The passionate hooker was officially announced on Monday as the successor to Gareth Widdop, who has joined Super League club Warrington.

The 25-year-old rake will aim to lead the club out of turmoil after they came 15th in 2019, with the legal dramas of sidelined forward Jack de Belin proving a distraction.

De Belin's sexual assault trial begins on February 3, just over a month before the season starts.

McInnes declared his team must get on with business in 2020 regardless of the external or personal challenges they may face.

"That's the message I try to get across to everybody: it doesn’t matter what's going on out there, because no one cares," McInnes said.

remote.axd

"If we lose a game and someone wants to say, 'Oh, my grandma's sick' – I know that's a harsh thing to say but no one cares because we lost the game.

"It's the harsh reality of what we do. You've got to leave your problems at the door. It's not easy to do but life happens, doesn't it?

"Throughout the course of 26 weeks, you're naïve to think that everything's going to be going your way outside footy for the whole year.

"The sooner you realise that you've got to perform under less than ideal circumstances, the better you're going to be. If guys didn't learn that last year, they've got to learn quick."

McInnes will become the second-youngest full-time St George Illawarra skipper after Trent Barrett, but he realises there's plenty of help available in senior representative players like James Graham, Tyson Frizell and Ben Hunt.

Meanwhile, coach Paul McGregor has given McInnes leadership books to study over the summer to prepare for the job.

In terms of playing style, not much will change for McInnes - the simple directive from the coaching staff has been to "go 100% like I do every game".

"The best captains are the ones that show it on the field week in, week out. And that's what I've got to do," McInnes said.

It's not his first experience in charge of a side: he filled in admirably when Widdop was injured last year and captained South Sydney in the under 20s.

"This is a much higher level, but to be honest with you, these guys here are like under 20s players anyway. Footy players don't grow up," McInnes quipped.

And while he can't guarantee fans success, McInnes has promised to give "absolutely everything every game".

"I'll be demanding that of everyone with me as well, as everyone will demand of each other," he said.

"All I know is the boys are hungry, hurt by what happened last year, and there's a lot of people with a lot to play for."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/21/mcinnes-wants-to-see-action-not-hear-excuses/

Bench
I seem to remember in one of online league sites that McIdiot has lent Cam some of his books on leadership.
Pity McIdiot never got past page 1

Paddles

Juniors
He looked comfortable and confident in his interview. Answered questions directly and humbly. Didn't use management jargon or seem like a dickhead. Spoke up his 'competition' in Luke and was willing to back performances when the opportunity presents rather than talk garbage at this stage of the season. Will certainly be a better leader than McGregor, and I suspect better than Widdop too.

Coffs dragon

Bench
He looked comfortable and confident in his interview. Answered questions directly and humbly. Didn't use management jargon or seem like a dickhead. Spoke up his 'competition' in Luke and was willing to back performances when the opportunity presents rather than talk garbage at this stage of the season. Will certainly be a better leader than McGregor, and I suspect better than Widdop too.
Totally agree Paddles & I loved the smirk on his face & his calm answer when he was asked if they will be playing different in 2020!
It tells me that Peanut Paul may have a lot less influence & the Flanno/Shepperd influence is about to kick into gear.
Cam seems the type of leader to throw himself under the bus and his character being one of humility. His Head coach is the exact opposite and I hope nothing rubs off.

Latest posts