What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
Neither of us have given hard proof. That's because it doesn't exist. But I backed up my point with 3 teams in a very similar position, and how costly they have been. I didn't give 3 if buts and maybes like you did. As I said earlier, maybe

Perhaps they wouldn't be the same as The Suns, GWS or the Storm, in their first decade but they would be similar.

The likes of Western Bulldogs and St Kilda are AFL heartland teams in heartland areas. And both with a good followings, hundreds of thousand not tens of thousands. And It was only a few years back Bulldogs won the comp .

that’s because by the nature of something not yet happened there can’t be proof lol. You gave a hypothetical based on the storm 20 years ago and two clubs in a different sport. I gave a hypothetical based on what’s been happening around nrl in perth in recent years and the advantages that brings a new club. Until it’s tested neither will know which is true.

I mean if you want to take your approach you could say the NRL would be mad to introduce a Brisbane 2 team given:
The Titans have been a basket case since inception
The Suns and Lions continue to cost the AFL a fortune
The Cowboys needed $millions of propping up by their owners in their first ten years
Gold Coast United failed after only 3 years

It would seem based on all these failures it would be crazy to introduce another team in Qland.

Not that I believe that but going on your examples of why Perth might struggle....

Last edited:

Dragonwest

Juniors
What I do know is that Perth has an amazing potential to grow its participation rates in a very short period of time should they gain entry. Having experienced the explosion in the early 90's I'd expect it could be very achievable to double junior participation numbers within the Perth Metro area in 5 years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What I do know is that Perth has an amazing potential to grow its participation rates in a very short period of time should they gain entry. Having experienced the explosion in the early 90's I'd expect it could be very achievable to double junior participation numbers within the Perth Metro area in 5 years.

I think this is part of the NRL's problem. It doesn't really know why it wants to expand the game. Is it just for more revenue? Is it to expose the game to new audiences? Is it to build grassroots through top tier presence? Is it to create more competition with its main rival in their home states? Is it to make the top tier more attractive to sponsors with a more national footprint?

The lack of strategy and vision that plagues our game sadly means I honestly dont think Greenberg could answer the question if you asked him it.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I think this is part of the NRL's problem. It doesn't really know why it wants to expand the game. Is it just for more revenue? Is it to expose the game to new audiences? Is it to build grassroots through top tier presence? Is it to create more competition with its main rival in their home states? Is it to make the top tier more attractive to sponsors with a more national footprint?

The lack of strategy and vision that plagues our game sadly means I honestly dont think Greenberg could answer the question if you asked him it.

I have no doubt you are right on that

tri_colours

Juniors

Strategy? vision? didn't the NRL chairman recently come out and tell us what he wanted ??? Didn't he/commission just put forward several ideas that are under consideration?

You sure the problem isn't that he isn't doing what you want him to do? he isn't expanding to where you would like him to???

Perth Red

Post Whore
Strategy? vision? didn't the NRL chairman recently come out and tell us what he wanted ??? Didn't he/commission just put forward several ideas that are under consideration?

You sure the problem isn't that he isn't doing what you want him to do? he isn't expanding to where you would like him to???

A rogue chairman giving his opinion is no strategy lol

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Two NRL legends have hit back at new ARLC chairman Peter V’landys for dismissing Perth as a home for a new expansion club.

V’landys angered the WA Government — which has poured millions of dollars into rugby league — local administrators and fans when he declared a second Brisbane side was his blueprint for expansion in the 2023 broadcast deal.

He claimed the NRL would not secure a hold in WA, despite the State of Origin showdown in June attracting a massive Optus Stadium crowd, and Perth hosting a trans-Tasman Test, World Cup matches and a decade of NRL fixtures.

He also claimed there was concern about player welfare, given the extensive travel.

But Brett Kimmorley and Roy Asotasi, in Perth yesterday for the draw for the preseason nines competition being held at HBF Park in February, were right behind the Perth push.

Kimmorley said a WA side was needed if the game wanted to call itself a national code.

“I think he was probably trying to please the Queensland market with some of his comments,” Kimmorley said.

“Rather than harping on some of the negatives, look at the positives.

“We’ve got to keep talking up expansion, where we can grow new revenue streams, a new fan base and promote our game to become what is called a national competition.”

The former Australian half-back also dismissed concerns about flying times.

“The (NZ) Warriors have to do it, the (North Queensland) Cowboys do it,” he said.

Asotasi said WA deserved a side.

“I’d love to see a team in Perth,” the former New Zealand prop said. “There is a fan base here and people that want a team.”

Several rule changes will be introduced next season in the NRL, including the banning of tackling a player when he is in the air.

The mutual infringement law has also been updated.

The law came under the spotlight in the grand final when Canberra’s Sia Soliola charged down a ball, but it hit a trainer and Sydney Roo

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA not lying down!

A leading Western Australian businessman has refused to give up hope of an expansion side in Perth, vowing to take the fight to the NRL.

While there has been a concerted push for the NRL to return to Perth after the Western Reds were axed in 1997, new Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) chairman Peter V'landys has spoken against the move.

In a recent interview outlining his blueprint for possible expansion in the next broadcast deal in 2023, V'landys said his personal view was that the NRL shouldn't waste money investing in diehard AFL states.

He prefers adding a second team in Brisbane alongside the Broncos and pointed to player welfare concerns due to the extra travel.

The report angered the league community in Western Australia but Peter Cumins, executive deputy chairman of Cash Converters, the first jumper sponsor of the Western Reds, says they are not about to roll over.

Cumins, now a supporter of the grassroots scene in WA, told the Daily Telegraph he has written to all of the commissioners to plead their case while expressing his disgust at V'landys' comments.

"I was gutted; parents, volunteers are gutted," Cumins said.

"What p..... me off even more was we had to read about it in the press.

"It would have been more respectful to hear through the proper channels but he is only one voice on the commission. We'll get in the ears of others."

Cumins was among those interviewed when the NRL sent senior officials to Perth three months ago to investigate the viability of a new franchise.

Although, the ARLC continue to drag its heels on a decision on expansion, calling for more details on the merits of increasing the 16-team competition.

The NRL take games to Perth each year and hosted its first State of Origin match last June.

With the organisation also relaunching the Nines in the Western Australian capital in February, Cumins described V'landys' comments as "garbage".

"Not going to waste money trying to break into a rusted-on AFL state? One of the most successful clubs is the Melbourne Storm and you can't get more rusted-on than Victoria," he told the Daily Telegraph.

"Flying players across the country? WA teams have been doing it successfully for years.

"There's a hard core of us in Perth that won't give up. Every time there is a game here in Perth we'll be rubbing their noses in it."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/118397458/perth-takes-fight-to-nrl-over-expansion-snub

Vee

First Grade
Jeans West go bust, is this one of the Pirates' major backers?

Serious question.

I know the rich pricks normally get the goldmine while the little people get the shaft.

tri_colours

Juniors
and baseball, hockey, Ice hockey, water polo and our young SGball lads lol. If that’s the intelligence level of V’landy, god help us!

Top grade League is a bit more demanding and intense than those other codes. I can't see to many of them troubled by a short turn around or a 5000+km trip to Auckland or Townsville. Besides that was only one of his concerns, the financial side of things would be his biggest concern.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Top grade League is a bit more demanding and intense than those other codes. I can't see to many of them troubled by a short turn around or a 5000+km trip to Auckland or Townsville. Besides that was only one of his concerns, the financial side of things would be his biggest concern.

Is there some science that the intensity of your sport effects your ability/health to sit on a plane for 5 hours?? NRL clubs also have a lot more money than those sports and thus far superior recovery and rehab resources.

He actually didn't say anything about the financial side. What he said was:
“We must undertake a full analysis (of growth markets) but Perth does not have a huge league audience. Then there is the concern around flying NRL players five hours when we already hear criticism of player workloads and how taxing the season is on the stars of the game."

tri_colours

Juniors
Is there some science that the intensity of your sport effects your ability/health to sit on a plane for 5 hours?? NRL clubs also have a lot more money than those sports and thus far superior recovery and rehab resources.

Injuries and plane travel don't mix . But I think he makes it pretty clear that travel is only a secondary issue.
“ “Forget wasting millions in rusted-on AFL states." what about this part?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Injuries and plane travel don't mix . But I think he makes it pretty clear that travel is only a secondary issue.
“ “Forget wasting millions in rusted-on AFL states." what about this part?

That’s a very different statement than being worried about the financial sustainability of a perth club. What he said is that giving a nrl club in perth the nrl club grant would be a waste of money. He gives no argument why he thinks it would be a waste nor any acknowledgement of the massive return “wasting” money on a Melbourne club has brought the game. It was a dumb and poorly considered statement and should be a great cause of concern for fans of the game. Makes Smith not knowing the Australian capt or Beattie mistaking a jersey seem very trivial!