What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

tiger102

Juniors
Happy to have BJ Leilua but only for two years. Hopefully by then the likes of Reece Hoffman, Zac Cini or William Kei can step up and take BJ place.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/fd3610a32500b45b2cfdc0bbabde7ac5

Wests Tigers target Joey Leilua after missing out on Latrell Mitchell
After Latrell Mitchell’s snub, Wests Tigers know they need to make a statement signing ahead of the new NRL season, and are ready to try to reign in one of the game’s most erratic players.

Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
January 20, 2020 6:42pm

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/522006a7728823e7ca42985dbebff492
similars

Wests Tigers have made some poor recruitment decisions in recent years. Now they are ready to gamble on one of the NRL’s most volatile players.

But while the anticipated signing of Joey Leilua is another decision that could easily backfire, it also has the makings of a terrific partnership.

That is providing Leilua also agrees to make a change to his game that many have been calling for from him for years.

Leilua is ready to make the move from Canberra to Concord after a meeting with Michael Maguire on Monday.

There is no denying some people around the game are privately wondering how Leilua will fit in with Maguire’s hard-edged coaching style, fearing this could be another deal that ends in tears for the Tigers.

But it’s important to acknowledge it is not Maguire who has to change his ways, it’s Leilua.

At 28, Leilua has been basically forced out of Canberra following Curtis Scott’s arrival from Melbourne and he has no one to blame for that bar himself.

Ricky Stuart gave him plenty of chances over the years but in the end the Raiders said all they needed to say when they went and signed Scott, regardless of the fact Leilua still had a year to run on his contract
The Tigers have their own concerns given they had previously put an offer on the table but it fell well short of what Leilua was asking for.

But it is now expected a deal could be finalised in the coming days following Monday’s catch up.

The Tigers are becoming increasingly desperate to land a significant signing after missing out on Latrell Mitchell among others this off-season.

It is no use having more than $1 million available in their salary cap for this season if it means finishing out of the top-eight again.

The fact is the Tigers boast the longest finals drought of any NRL club having not made the play offs since Tim Sheens was in charge in 2012.

The last significant spending spree the club went on was before Maguire arrived when Ivan Cleary was in charge and they signed the likes of Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino and Chris McQueen, none of which exactly set the world on fire.

But while they have a squad of players that rarely give anything but their best, it can’t be ignored that they just don’t have the strike power to consistently match it with the best rosters.

No one can argue when he is on his game Leilua is as good as any centre in the comp, which is why he can be a great signing for the Tigers.

All he has to do is commit to getting rid of some of the mug tactics that he should have dumped years ago.

The Rosco

Bench
Apparently Madge and BJ Leilua met today and a deal could be finalized in the coming days. Would be very happy if true.
Yeah Vic, I agree.
Think back to all those times we were in the opponents red zone, and came up with sweet f all.
Now, put BJ into that mental picture and he's either barging over, or sucking in 2 defenders for his winger.
As long as it not more than 3 years ( pref. 2), and it's not for super crazy $$ . . . we'd be dumb not to add a player like him that will add SO much to our backline.

Vic Mackey

Referee
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...-to-offer-doueihi-a-deal-20200120-p53t3f.html

It's hard to know who we are going to grab. I know you can't trust newspapers now but they state we can easily accommodate BJ and AD because we have $800k available this year. They also state AD is on 500k this year and 600k next year and BJ is on 600 or 700 or something. All these figures don't add up.

Mate we’ve gone from having a $1.7mil ‘warchest’ to $1mil last week when we missed Latrell, to now only having $800k. Yet reports were also saying we offered Latrell over $1mil a year

If you can figure any of it out you’re better then me.

stryker

First Grade
Im not keen on BJ.
He is a flat tracker, ill disciplined and at times lazy. He is also a poor decision maker, often electing to go himself when his winger would have walked over.
Ricky has got the best out of him and is prepared to release him early. Thats a red flag.
I wouldnt offer him too much.

The unknown

Juniors
Im not keen on BJ.
He is a flat tracker, ill disciplined and at times lazy. He is also a poor decision maker, often electing to go himself when his winger would have walked over.
Ricky has got the best out of him and is prepared to release him early. Thats a red flag.

You make some pretty good points but I think he has more good moments than bad. And in a team like ours that lacks X factor (which he would bring) what’s the worst that could happen? Finish 9th again?

I also reckon raiders don’t make top 4 last year if he wasn’t there. He was huge.

BrotherJim05

Bench
You never know with players like BJ. Look at Suli. Lazy and shit with us, even more shit with Bulldogs. Then plays under Dez and is killing it. Madge and Dez are similar style coaches, I reckon BJ is worth a gamble.

I can understand why Raiders want to move him on though. They are now a genuine Grand Final team, and unfortunately BJ is too risky to have in the team. They have a platform for winning and its safer without the risk of BJ. For us on the other hand its completely different kettle of fish. We don't have a winning platform yet, and we need players like BJ to charge into the finals

And if he ends up being shithouse then what difference does it make? Its either him or a random reserve grader. I'd rather take the gamble

This is a complete rumour (because I just made it up) but I'm hearing (I'm not, I'm making this up) of a player merry go round about to happen:
Gagai to Titans
Arrow to Souths
AJ to Storm
JAC to Tigers

This is on top of AD and BJ to Tigers

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Im not keen on BJ.

He is also a weapon and we need outside backs desperately.