What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad

Tiger05

First Grade
the bloke is earning Tedesco like money for someone who played like a busted anus all year, if I was him I’d be thanking IC every single day for the rest of my life because he is barely worth half that on player ability

Happy to be proven wrong of course.

I have a couple of problems with this statement:-

1. How much is he really earning ? Is he really on a million per year contract ? I assume he is on more like $600k.
2. He wasn't great last year but he wasn't puss. He didn't perform great at fullback but he was good in the centres. He also looked to be carrying an injury. I also reckon he tries hard every game. To me he is a guy who makes basically every first grade team in the comp and is a decent player in every team.

To me it comes down to how much he is getting paid. He isn't Tedesco but he is a quality player to have in your squad. Pay him accordingly and you are good to go.

Shredder

Juniors
Mbye is one of those players that have ability, but cant find his spot.

Remember, Thurston was a floating reserve at the Dogs before he went to the Cowboys.

There are lots of players like this, generally, its players that are too small for the forwards and too slow for the backs. Weve signed plenty.

Mbye at various clubs has been played at fullback, center, 5/8 and hooker.

He obviously shows something, but not enough to be the answer anywhere.

We paid too much (even at $600k) for a bloke who cant own a position even in our side.

gordsy

Juniors
the bloke is earning Tedesco like money for someone who played like a busted anus all year, if I was him I’d be thanking IC every single day for the rest of my life because he is barely worth half that on player ability

Happy to be proven wrong of course.
Hhahahahahaha gold.

The unknown

Juniors
I have a couple of problems with this statement:-

1. How much is he really earning ? Is he really on a million per year contract ? I assume he is on more like $600k.
2. He wasn't great last year but he wasn't puss. He didn't perform great at fullback but he was good in the centres. He also looked to be carrying an injury. I also reckon he tries hard every game. To me he is a guy who makes basically every first grade team in the comp and is a decent player in every team.

To me it comes down to how much he is getting paid. He isn't Tedesco but he is a quality player to have in your squad. Pay him accordingly and you are good to go.

900k, with the bulldogs paying at least 200k+ of that I believe + his origin earnings (lol)

I dunno I’m hoping you’re right about maybe he was just playing injured but he needs to be a heck of a lot better than what he was last year if he’s one of our marquees.

Tiger05

First Grade
900k, with the bulldogs paying at least 200k+ of that I believe + his origin earnings (lol)

I dunno I’m hoping you’re right about maybe he was just playing injured but he needs to be a heck of a lot better than what he was last year if he’s one of our marquees.

I doubt he was getting 900k because that is getting into the top echelon of talent in the league but then again Ben Hunt is supposedly getting that amount. Still if he is on more like 600k or 700k to us then it's not massive overs.

I just figure the guy can play. He just isn't a marquee player.

Das Hassler

Bench
I've heard he cost us 550k nett for the first 2 years....Dogs didnt want to move him on but were in a massive bind

gordsy

Juniors
I doubt he was getting 900k because that is getting into the top echelon of talent in the league but then again Ben Hunt is supposedly getting that amount. Still if he is on more like 600k or 700k to us then it's not massive overs.

I just figure the guy can play. He just isn't a marquee player.

600 - 700k is what we have reportedly offered Leilua, Mybe isn't worth close to that but we are stuck with him and need to find a spot where he excels. Hopefully hooker is it.

Last edited:
The Madge speech will one day be regarded as the turning point for our club.

The day we let it known to the world that we are hell bent on becoming an NRL super-power.

Compare what Madge said to the well-intended but poorly considered public comments from Chair not so long ago. Absolute opposite.

It’s also a coded smack in the chops for latrell.

Madge and his staff want us to be patient and trust their judgment.

We all know that without some luck, we aren’t able to be genuine contenders for a couple of years, so our fan focus is better spent on these less obvious aspect of the seasons proceedings. A more of a nuanced appraisal.

This will mean looking at the little things and not just results.

It will mean taking comfort in recruiting players that are good long haulers, underdone but with potential and looking out for fresh skills from our existing cattle.

When a player fails to catch a bad pass, you don’t blame the intended recipient. I heard sterlo do this once. He lost me that night.

Madge is very impressive at the moment. Yet to be tested long term, but so far, so good. We deserved 9th last year, mainly because we persisted with esan.
Madge learnt from that. I bet he kicked 100 in training lol. Still, game day pressure is the test.

Tigerm

First Grade
The Madge speech will one day be regarded as the turning point for our club.

The day we let it known to the world that we are hell bent on becoming an NRL super-power.

Compare what Madge said to the well-intended but poorly considered public comments from Chair not so long ago. Absolute opposite.

It’s also a coded smack in the chops for latrell.

Madge and his staff want us to be patient and trust their judgment.

We all know that without some luck, we aren’t able to be genuine contenders for a couple of years, so our fan focus is better spent on these less obvious aspect of the seasons proceedings. A more of a nuanced appraisal.

This will mean looking at the little things and not just results.

It will mean taking comfort in recruiting players that are good long haulers, underdone but with potential and looking out for fresh skills from our existing cattle.

When a player fails to catch a bad pass, you don’t blame the intended recipient. I heard sterlo do this once. He lost me that night.

Madge is very impressive at the moment. Yet to be tested long term, but so far, so good. We deserved 9th last year, mainly because we persisted with esan.
Madge learnt from that. I bet he kicked 100 in training lol. Still, game day pressure is the test.
f**k this waiting and patience stuff, we've been patient long enough, I want it all and I want it now.

Madge, like all coaches will be measured and judged on success in making the final 8.

Front-Rower

First Grade
f**k this waiting and patience stuff, we've been patient long enough, I want it all and I want it now.

Madge, like all coaches will be measured and judged on success in making the final 8.

Couldn't agree more.

We now have a “premiership” winning coach at the helm. We need to see the reason why he is that and get a sub par side in to the top 8. Otherwise he’ll just be remembered as another coach who had the cattle and big backing.

Tigerm

First Grade
Couldn't agree more.

We now have a “premiership” winning coach at the helm. We need to see the reason why he is that and get a sub par side in to the top 8. Otherwise he’ll just be remembered as another coach who had the cattle and big backing.
Yep, he's got a wad of money available and apparently 2 reasonable players (who want to be here) ready to sign and he wants to small change them. It's his call (no problems) but if we don't get in the 8 what happens then? We will get more of the "building a culture", waiting for "the right player" type excuses that leave us further away from getting the type of players he/we want. If you build it, they will come.

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench

I ABSOLUTELY couldn't agree more....i probably wont see half our side play their careers out....whenever you're ready fellas (if it isn't too much trouble)

Front-Rower

First Grade
Yep, he's got a wad of money available and apparently 2 reasonable players (who want to be here) ready to sign and he wants to small change them. It's his call (no problems) but if we don't get in the 8 what happens then? We will get more of the "building a culture", waiting for "the right player" type excuses that leave us further away from getting the type of players he/we want. If you build it, they will come.

The club needs something to attract players to come to the club. I mentioned on this forum that I believe that lies in us signing a gun half.

If we can’t find that we need our own Russell Crowe.

We all want it now for sure, but if we moderate our expectations, then we will suffer less when reality hits us.

From Madge’s perspective, we have a willing forward pack absent elites. They played well last year as a pack and his challenge is to maintain their standard at a minimum.

Our backs were generally horrific and uninspiring and how we managed to vie for the 8 with such an under performing backline was quite an achievement.

If Madge has leant anything is that he has to abandon faith and be more brutal about goal kicking. Momo seems to have resolve that.

The expectation of all coaches is that each team is going to improve to some extent and use last seasons experiences in that assessment with a few modifications.

I think if we are being honest, to make a really good fist of it, we need at least three or four established elites and they are not available right now. When they arrive a lot of things will change.

in the meantime, I think we are right to extract the last drop of potential and performance based on who we have with a sprinkling of extra talent ( if we can get it).

So it will be the case that a good game will reflect good coaching and all other inputs, and their always a chance for getting into the finals, but Madge was dealt a tough hand and then we had rogue players thinking they knew best.

Injuries and many variables will go along way in determining the year ahead. But lets be realistic, we have an ordinary squad compared to top 4 sides.

That’s the reality of it.

Every win will be hard earned.

But that’s life.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Heard a rumour that Bunnies will take Packer and Mcqueen. No idea if this is true or not but that would leave us with 5 spots to fill. If there is a shred of truth to this then there must be a big player merry go round about to happen...I'm just praying to Odin that it involves JAC coming to Tigers

gordynz

Juniors
In regards to Mbye, you need to remember that he played all his Junior footy at centre. He moved into the halves and fullback roles mainly because he was one of their more talented players that could kick.

As of now hes a decent utility but for us to get the best out of him, I think he needs to be playing in the position he played in most of his life which is at left centre.

gordynz

Juniors
If we are able to get BJ and Doueihi then that gives us great depth imo. I really enjoyed Doueihi at fullback at the back end of last season. For him to get pushed into a foreign role after injury and leading into the playoffs, is a big ask but I thought he performed mightily well and maybe what impressed me the most was the way he put his body on the line, especially that prelim game vs Canberra. The kid has ticker and that's the type of player we want at our club.

The only problem we have now is that we have no decent lock. Eisenhuth looks likely to get the nod for the start of the season but he doesnt excite me one little bit. We are likely to field Twal, Mikaele, Aloiai, Clark as well which is a pretty immobile pack but something that Madge has been able to make work in the past. Fingers crossed it can work for us...

Tiger Ted

Bench
Heard a rumour that Bunnies will take Packer and Mcqueen. No idea if this is true or not but that would leave us with 5 spots to fill. If there is a shred of truth to this then there must be a big player merry go round about to happen...I'm just praying to Odin that it involves JAC coming to Tigers
I heard from a contact at Souths that prior to then signing Arrow we were trying to swap Packer for Gagai.I can’t c Souths having any interest in mcqueen although Packer moving to redfern is conceivable especially as Bennett had shown interest in him when he was coach at broncos.

Latest posts