What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Top 30

Pomoz

Bench
You are just being pathetic now you troll. Who runs their own players down this much? Is your ego that important to you? You’re a f**king joke in here talking up Darius Boyd hahaha fmd.
You are all class. Is it difficult for you to have a discussion without resorting to abuse and swearing?

This isn’t a battle. We are just discussing the footy. I rate Boyd, you don’t. You support Franklin’s view that we are better than the Broncos and Sharks, I don’t. I offer some facts into the debate, you offer bad language and bullying. I am assuming you are an adult? If not, perhaps when you mature you will develop the language and analytical skills to be able to participate without sounding like a 14 year old bully at High School. Do you think you make this forum a pleasant place with your behavior? Have a cup of tea and calm down.

betcats

Referee
You are all class. Is it difficult for you to have a discussion without resorting to abuse and swearing?

This isn’t a battle. We are just discussing the footy. I rate Boyd, you don’t. You support Franklin’s view that we are better than the Broncos and Sharks, I don’t. I offer some facts into the debate, you offer bad language and bullying. I am assuming you are an adult? If not, perhaps when you mature you will develop the language and analytical skills to be able to participate without sounding like a 14 year old bully at High School. Do you think you make this forum a pleasant place with your behavior? Have a cup of tea and calm down.

Oh shut up you moron, you aren’t clever. The analytical skills you have displayed on this forum are piss poor. Just because I swear at you and insult you doesn’t mean I lack intelligence, I just have no patience for dumb merkins making shit up to support their ridiculous opinions.

Pomoz

Bench
Oh shut up you moron, you aren’t clever. The analytical skills you have displayed on this forum are piss poor. Just because I swear at you and insult you doesn’t mean I lack intelligence, I just have no patience for dumb merkins making shit up to support their ridiculous opinions.
So that would be "yes" then. Sigh.....

Fangs

Coach
I'd say Broncos are far more talented. They also happen to mismanage their talent as well as we do. I see a lot of similarities between the Broncos and the Panthers.

Boyd is a special case. Physically I think he can meet the demands of the NRL. But he looks like someone who doesn't enjoy his football and should probably just hang up the boots.

And the Sharks of 2019 were undoubtedly a superior side in hindsight. 2020 will be different with the glut of experienced players they have lost. I'd put us on par.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Should I suggest handbags at 30 paces perhaps......:p:eek::p

I live in the Hunter area. Some years ago Boyd came along with Bennett, pushing out some kid in the process. He did not endear himself to the community or the Knights fans.

He offered very little to the Knights when he played with them, and has been in the decline for sometime.

IN MY OPINION he is ready for the knackery and would be devestated if he was bought by Penrith at this stage of his career.

Your correct in thinking I don't rate him. I also don't rate Bennett either.

Perhaps it's time for us all to move on.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd say Broncos are far more talented. They also happen to mismanage their talent as well as we do. I see a lot of similarities between the Broncos and the Panthers.

Boyd is a special case. Physically I think he can meet the demands of the NRL. But he looks like someone who doesn't enjoy his football and should probably just hang up the boots.

And the Sharks of 2019 were undoubtedly a superior side in hindsight. 2020 will be different with the glut of experienced players they have lost. I'd put us on par.

Broncos are where we were this time last year. Finals masked bigger problems and need to offload a few guys to clear space for young guys.

We’d still be there if not for Parra’s charity in taking RCG and Blake

Big Pete

Referee
I don't think the Edwards-Boyd comparison is that ridiculous. At the start of the season, Edwards was one of the few fullbacks in the competition who was performing worse than Boyd. It wasn't until the Origin period he began to find his feet and produce the type of performances he was capable of. Still, Edwards is 9 years Boyd's junior and should be better after coming back from his ACL. If not, the Panthers have plenty of options coming through.

I think you'll find Darius will start the season on the wing as a courtesy. He shouldn't be there as the Broncos have a much better winger in Herbie Farnworth but Seibs doesn't have the conviction to make the big call. Xavier Coates was brought up earlier in the thread, but he's more of a centre and struggles positionally on the wing. He's strong in the air which may see him picked, but his work with the short kicks leaves a lot to be desired.

I expect Penrith to be more composed this year. Last year there were just too many distractions and the side struggled to gel. I expect Luai-Cleary to form a strong combination and believe the side will have a better sense of direction. Obviously last year there were some players Cleary wanted to move on since they didn't fit his vision of the club and the 30 that are there presently will be more secure in their roles.

I'd expect some turbulence along the way, there will be some tough losses and I don't think they're quite ready to win the premiership, but they could certainly work their way into one for 2021.

I think the Panthers are further along than the Broncos. The Broncos still have a few guys taking up space and their spine is far from settled. It's hard to get a strong read on them, because Isaako, Croft and Turpin could all easily find themselves out of a job very quickly.

Spot On

Coach
I don't think the Edwards-Boyd comparison is that ridiculous. At the start of the season, Edwards was one of the few fullbacks in the competition who was performing worse than Boyd. It wasn't until the Origin period he began to find his feet and produce the type of performances he was capable of. Still, Edwards is 9 years Boyd's junior and should be better after coming back from his ACL. If not, the Panthers have plenty of options coming through.

I think you'll find Darius will start the season on the wing as a courtesy. He shouldn't be there as the Broncos have a much better winger in Herbie Farnworth but Seibs doesn't have the conviction to make the big call.

Seibs should not have had to make the call re Darius. Bennett was the one that didn't have the conviction to move him on at end of last contract. At the very best, he should have been offered a short, fair deal not the retirement gift he was given from Wayne.

betcats

Referee

I think you'll find Darius will start the season on the wing as a courtesy. He shouldn't be there as the Broncos have a much better winger in Herbie Farnworth but Seibs doesn't have the conviction to make the big call. Xavier Coates was brought up earlier in the thread, but he's more of a centre and struggles positionally on the wing. He's strong in the air which may see him picked, but his work with the short kicks leaves a lot to be desired.

I expect Penrith to be more composed this year. Last year there were just too many distractions and the side struggled to gel. I expect Luai-Cleary to form a strong combination and believe the side will have a better sense of direction. Obviously last year there were some players Cleary wanted to move on since they didn't fit his vision of the club and the 30 that are there presently will be more secure in their roles.

I'd expect some turbulence along the way, there will be some tough losses and I don't think they're quite ready to win the premiership, but they could certainly work their way into one for 2021.

I think the Panthers are further along than the Broncos. The Broncos still have a few guys taking up space and their spine is far from settled. It's hard to get a strong read on them, because Isaako, Croft and Turpin could all easily find themselves out of a job very quickly.

Pomoz thinks Darius is better than our entire backline he wasn’t just comparing the fullbacks.

Edwards was the worst player in the comp for 8 or 9 rounds last season then he got dropped and got some confidence back and improved quite a bit, after that point there is no comparison between Boyd and Edwards, no disrespect but Boyd is past it, well past it.

Edit: The broncos prospects going forward are very good, as I said the other day you should be a force in two or three seasons, but this season might see a drop off, you have some incredibly talented guys on the rooster they are still finding their feet, as well as the coach. He is implanting a lot of new things up there on and off the field from what I hear, chiefly an almost entirely new spine it will take time, there will be growing pains. Plus you still have big money tied up in unwanted players(Bird, Boyd, Mculloch(sp?) haha I hate his name).

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade

The Broncos are miles ahead of us in terms of mismanagement. They are the league's golden children and have next to nothing to show for it in the modern era. Entire RL mad city to themselves. Squads consistently brimming with talent. 30k+ in the stands of a world class stadium every week. Corporate opportunities abound. Brilliant facilities. Consistent 7 day schedule. Penalty Broncos! And yet they remain perennial also rans, battling it out for mid table honours with the likes of the Sharks and Panthers.

We're a long long way from perfect, but we punch far closer to our weight than the Broncos and shouldn't be compared with them.

It helps that we have a soul ofc.

betcats

Referee
The Broncos are miles ahead of us in terms of mismanagement. They are the league's golden children and have next to nothing to show for it in the modern era. Entire RL mad city to themselves. Squads consistently brimming with talent. 30k+ in the stands of a world class stadium every week. Corporate opportunities abound. Brilliant facilities. Consistent 7 day schedule. Penalty Broncos! And yet they remain perennial also rans, battling it out for mid table honours with the likes of the Sharks and Panthers.

We're a long long way from perfect, but we punch far closer to our weight than the Broncos and shouldn't be compared with them.

Great post, when you consider the advantages they have they are about on par with Parramatta for mismanagement.

Fangs

Coach

True. My comparison is mainly on field performances and the make up of their squad. It just so happens they are quite unsuccessful like us as well.

franklin2323

Immortal
We did with Wallace, thats what started all these clubs doing the same thing, its why most of these players are now coaching assistants

He didn’t finish the year though. Gillett did and played Origin so can’t even argue his standard dropped

Pomoz

Bench

I take your point, but they did make the GF in 2015 and the prelim final in 2017. In the last ten years they have made the semi finals 8 times, the Panthers 5. Should they do better given their resources? Yes, but they have won a lot in their short history so have used their resources very well if you look at their complete history. Undoubtedly they are under performing right now.

The Panthers have also had a lot of resources and haven't achieved anything like the success of clubs with much fewer resources like the Raiders and the Dogs. We have had a a massive junior league and wealthy leagues club and yet have only two premierships in 40+ years. We still have both of those assets and now have the best facilities in the NRL. What happens next?

Pomoz

Bench
Imagine if a Penrith player got arrested in Bali for an unprovoked assault.....there'd be no reluctance from the NRL to throw the book at them IMO.
I couldn't agree more with this comment. WTF were the NRL thinking? You would almost think the NRL are biased............

Latest posts