What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

kit66

Bench
Any analysis of the team will show that on paper we're weaker than last year. Three main reasons for that being 1) the loss of Widdop a far superior 5/8 to Norman, 2) Very weak recruitment, 3) McGregor is still the coach.
The outlook isn't good, there's no sugar coating it, we'll be lucky to beat our dismal 8 from 24 wins last year. If you doubt it just look at our last 10 games in 2019 of which we won only 2 , both against eventual Wooden Spooners the Titans. It's not just that we lost, we had no direction and had different line-ups each week including 4 different fullbacks, 5 or 6 different halves, the wingers were similarly chopped and changed, front row and lock were also experimented with. The only constants were our bloody centres who are the 2 men most likely to get voted off the island if you and I had any say in it.

So, what will / has changed to cause any optimism ? Well there's Merrin, not a bad buy, lots of experience and smarts but no saviour. There's Isaac Luke who's addition to our squad I completely fail to understand when we have Cam McInnes who's arguably among the top 3 hookers and who is coming off a great year personally and probably full of confidence - well up until Luke appears I'd say, he must be wondering WTF just like me. Luke just means more experiments, more disruption, a wasted spot on the bench and for what, an occasional good game off the bench from an aging grub while young Lovodua is stuck in CC looking at NO game time in firsts.
Our other recruits I'd never heard of until I read the news, not a good sign.

Lomax to fullback at the expense of our only strike weapon and top try scorer ( ? ) Dufty , another experiment but probably worth a shot I guess. What else ? On the wing Saab could prove handy, Ravalawa could surprise us but I expect Mary will change the wingers every week to try to accommodate other candidates like Sailor or just out of desperation.

The only shining light I see is Flanagan as assistant coach with the possibility of taking the reins should Mary continue to do what he does best.....fail.

possm

Coach
Meanwhile, coach Paul McGregor has given McInnes leadership books to study over the summer to prepare for the job.

Insert facepalm here.
In my opinion, McInnes has many good qualities and is a highly skilled defender in the middle of the field however, I don't see him as a good team captain or good club captain.

On-field he makes many mistakes and often sends the ball the wrong way from dummy half. He also gives away many silly penalties which at times negates the good defensive work he does in the Middle.

Off-field he is not good at public speaking and does not think on his feet very well. He does not exhibit the poise or confidence that a natural leader has.

For what it is worth, I did not rate Widdop as a good captain either, whereas I do rate Graham and T Sims as potentially good leaders on and off the field.

Gazkit

Juniors
The squad will be affected by the result of DeBelin's court result. I hope he is innocent and breathes life into our season. If he is found guilty our season will be over. Hard thing for the team to deal with.

kit66

Bench
The squad will be affected by the result of DeBelin's court result. I hope he is innocent and breathes life into our season. If he is found guilty our season will be over. Hard thing for the team to deal with.

I think the boys, like everyone else just want it to be over, decision made and get on with life. That's dependent on the media somewhat I guess, I'm hoping they don't drag it out the way they tend to do.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Any analysis of the team will show that on paper we're weaker than last year. Three main reasons for that being 1) the loss of Widdop a far superior 5/8 to Norman, 2) Very weak recruitment, 3) McGregor is still the coach.
The outlook isn't good, there's no sugar coating it, we'll be lucky to beat our dismal 8 from 24 wins last year. If you doubt it just look at our last 10 games in 2019 of which we won only 2 , both against eventual Wooden Spooners the Titans. It's not just that we lost, we had no direction and had different line-ups each week including 4 different fullbacks, 5 or 6 different halves, the wingers were similarly chopped and changed, front row and lock were also experimented with. The only constants were our bloody centres who are the 2 men most likely to get voted off the island if you and I had any say in it.

So, what will / has changed to cause any optimism ? Well there's Merrin, not a bad buy, lots of experience and smarts but no saviour. There's Isaac Luke who's addition to our squad I completely fail to understand when we have Cam McInnes who's arguably among the top 3 hookers and who is coming off a great year personally and probably full of confidence - well up until Luke appears I'd say, he must be wondering WTF just like me. Luke just means more experiments, more disruption, a wasted spot on the bench and for what, an occasional good game off the bench from an aging grub while young Lovodua is stuck in CC looking at NO game time in firsts.
Our other recruits I'd never heard of until I read the news, not a good sign.

Lomax to fullback at the expense of our only strike weapon and top try scorer ( ? ) Dufty , another experiment but probably worth a shot I guess. What else ? On the wing Saab could prove handy, Ravalawa could surprise us but I expect Mary will change the wingers every week to try to accommodate other candidates like Sailor or just out of desperation.

The only shining light I see is Flanagan as assistant coach with the possibility of taking the reins should Mary continue to do what he does best.....fail.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Agree with almost all of your dismal (but accurate) assessment of our chances. Flanno however cannot be appointed Head Coach before 2022 so the question exercising my mind is will Flanno hang around if the cries of the masses to sack McGregor are finally heard sometime in 2020 and someone is appointed on a one and a bit year deal to the end of 2021. On the plus side, most of the iffy coaches have been replaced recently but there may be Head Coach opportunities at the Bulldogs, Penrith or perhaps even the Cowboys at the end of 2020 or into 2021,

kit66

Bench
Agree with almost all of your dismal (but accurate) assessment of our chances. Flanno however cannot be appointed Head Coach before 2022 so the question exercising my mind is will Flanno hang around if the cries of the masses to sack McGregor are finally heard sometime in 2020 and someone is appointed on a one and a bit year deal to the end of 2021. On the plus side, most of the iffy coaches have been replaced recently but there may be Head Coach opportunities at the Bulldogs, Penrith or perhaps even the Cowboys at the end of 2020 or into 2021,

I wasn't aware he had that long to run on his ban, that's a shame and probably means our next coach will be D.Young.......christ, if you think my posts were depressing before wait til that deadbeat gets control.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
In my opinion, McInnes has many good qualities and is a highly skilled defender in the middle of the field however, I don't see him as a good team captain or good club captain.

On-field he makes many mistakes and often sends the ball the wrong way from dummy half. He also gives away many silly penalties which at times negates the good defensive work he does in the Middle.

Off-field he is not good at public speaking and does not think on his feet very well. He does not exhibit the poise or confidence that a natural leader has.

For what it is worth, I did not rate Widdop as a good captain either, whereas I do rate Graham and T Sims as potentially good leaders on and off the field.

Not sure they had too many options Possm- preferably, a captain should be someone who stays on the park for the full 80 minutes so that usually rules out most non- hooker forwards. It certainly rules out Graham who, at age 34, can't be expected to play long minutes. I also see him as being a bit of a hot head with the referees and with his thick accent, will they be able to understand him?. I've seen Tariq do some dumb things on the field as well and again, being a forward, he may not be on the field all the time. None of the backs (including Hunt) in my opinion are certainties to be selected every week with the possible exception of Lomax but he is way too young and inexperienced to be saddled with the captaincy.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Not sure they had too many options Possm- preferably, a captain should be someone who stays on the park for the full 80 minutes so that usually rules out most non- hooker forwards. It certainly rules out Graham who, at age 34, can't be expected to play long minutes. I also see him as being a bit of a hot head with the referees and with his thick accent, will they be able to understand him?. I've seen Tariq do some dumb things on the field as well and again, being a forward, he may not be on the field all the time. None of the backs (including Hunt) in my opinion are certainties to be selected every week with the possible exception of Lomax but he is way too young and inexperienced to be saddled with the captaincy.

Correct.
And you simply cannot "make" someone captain these days. Prime example is Friz, some say make him captain, but what if he doesnt want to be?
McInnes at least has captained before, for 2yrs with the Rabbits NYC team. So he has experience. I'm sure the senior playing group which would include Friz, Sims and Graham, will assist him where and when needed.

possm

Coach
There has to be a reason for appointing both Flanagan and Shephard as assistant coach for 2020. My take is that there is two avenues the Board can take if Mary is sacked;
1. See Flanagan and Shephard as combination they want to keep into the future and so appoint Shephard as interim head coach and in 2022 or when Flanagan becomes eligible to fill the head coach role if earlier or
2. Appoint Dean Young as Head Coach with Flanagan and Shephard supporting him into the future.

getsmarty

Immortal
There has to be a reason for appointing both Flanagan and Shephard as assistant coach for 2020. My take is that there is two avenues the Board can take if Mary is sacked;
1. See Flanagan and Shephard as combination they want to keep into the future and so appoint Shephard as interim head coach and in 2022 or when Flanagan becomes eligible to fill the head coach role if earlier or
2. Appoint Dean Young as Head Coach with Flanagan and Shephard supporting him into the future.

Let's hope its option 1...

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Correct.
And you simply cannot "make" someone captain these days. Prime example is Friz, some say make him captain, but what if he doesnt want to be?
McInnes at least has captained before, for 2yrs with the Rabbits NYC team. So he has experience. I'm sure the senior playing group which would include Friz, Sims and Graham, will assist him where and when needed.

Yes- we are not requiring the captain to deliver a Gettysberg address during or at the end of every match.
Many established and successful captains (eg Boyd Cordner) are quiet achievers who lead from the front and inspire the team with their deeds. I see McInnes as being in that mould.

Dragsters

First Grade
Yes- we are not requiring the captain to deliver a Gettysberg address during or at the end of every match.
Many established and successful captains (eg Boyd Cordner) are quiet achievers who lead from the front and inspire the team with their deeds. I see McInnes as being in that mould.

Yep and I reckon Mcinnes would cteam Cordner in the mental and verbal agility Olympics...