What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I do not think that we should buy any more backs as the talent is there and just need to move Lafai on asap. He is too slow and
predictable. Our local backs seem to be the best since Cooper, Gasnier, Head, Hornby, Nightingale, Timmins and the Morris twins. Very exciting times!

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I do not think that we should buy any more backs as the talent is there and just need to move Lafai on asap. He is too slow and
predictable. Our local backs seem to be the best since Cooper, Gasnier, Head, Hornby, Nightingale, Timmins and the Morris twins. Very exciting times!
We might have some very fast backs, but we have the world's slowest thinking coach. Ah for a coach like BELLYACHE... Dreaming again O D....

possm

Coach
We keep hearing that there is next to no salary cap for 2020. If that is true, then I say don't buy any second rate players just to fill the top 30 list. Promote our young talent and give them exposure if a vacancy appears in first grade.

We have tried the second rate experienced players over the past few years, let's try our future stars in 2020.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We keep hearing that there is next to no salary cap for 2020. If that is true, then I say don't buy any second rate players just to fill the top 30 list. Promote our young talent and give them exposure if a vacancy appears in first grade.

We have tried the second rate experienced players over the past few years, let's try our future stars in 2020.

The Williame signing (if true) would then be a replacement for Pearson, so no gain in squad #'s. I have a feeling there maybe another significant signing to come (maybe wishful thinking but who knows), however, I think moving say Clune to the top 30 now and promoting young Ramsey to the DS would halp secure him longer (Ramsey i mean)

Dragonslayer

First Grade
As far as I can see, we have 25 signed for 2020 which includes the departure of Pearson. With rumours of Williame signing it would take us to 26.

We still need to sign 3 players (in addition to Williame) before the next cut off date (which escapes me atm) and 1 more before June 30. There is also the JDB verdict to factor in when its delivered especialky if its in the negative.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Agree about the excitement factor of what I've seen of backs like Ramsay and co but all these clips highlight them in attack. If we'd been shown a highlight clip of Matt Dufty when he was scoring tries for fun back in his Holden Cup days, I'm sure he would have been just as impressive.

We now know that Dufty is a liability with his positional play, in defence and under the high ball. At the risk of being labelled a wet blanket, I'm going to reserve my judgement on these young talented backs of ours until I've seen the full package of skills on display.

possm

Coach
Agree about the excitement factor of what I've seen of backs like Ramsay and co but all these clips highlight them in attack. If we'd been shown a highlight clip of Matt Dufty when he was scoring tries for fun back in his Holden Cup days, I'm sure he would have been just as impressive.

We now know that Dufty is a liability with his positional play, in defence and under the high ball. At the risk of being labelled a wet blanket, I'm going to reserve my judgement on these young talented backs of ours until I've seen the full package of skills on display.
Unlike Saab and Lomax, Dufty's body frame is his main problem. Given that we have a pair of long term halves with Sailor, Clune and young Sulivan coming through, there does not seem to be room for Dufty. I just don't understand why Millward extended his contract for a further two years.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
My understanding of a contract like sailor, Pearson etc is as follows

1. off season - base weekly payment

2. During the season base weekly payment plus bonus per NRL game played

so paying for players in nov, dec, jan etc is fairly cost effective, especially half the squads contracts who are middle to low base contracts

Nov, dec, jan gives us a chance to pay minimal for players and if we are truly trying to move on a couple of backline players to free up some cash
Merrin and Williame are not counted against the salary cap in 2020 I believe due to coming from the UK

It is starting to look like we have free money ie $350k pa min for Luc Lulia and probably about $150k pa min for Pearson

Merrin and Williame NIL in 2020 means we may have finally solved the $500k pa we needed to replace JDB now if we choose to...... plus we would also receive his $550k pa back again come the court decision if not in his favour

that means we may have total $1mill plus you work with come feb !!

unless we have used some money already to average / pre pay 2020 payments from a player like Lomax who would cost us more in 2021 onwards with his next contract

getsmarty

Immortal

so paying for players in nov, dec, jan etc is fairly cost effective, especially half the squads contracts who are middle to low base contracts

Nov, dec, jan gives us a chance to pay minimal for players and if we are truly trying to move on a couple of backline players to free up some cash
Merrin and Williame are not counted against the salary cap in 2020 I believe due to coming from the UK

It is starting to look like we have free money ie $350k pa min for Luc Lulia and probably about $150k pa min for Pearson

Merrin and Williame NIL in 2020 means we may have finally solved the $500k pa we needed to replace JDB now plus we would also receive his $550k pa back again come the court decision if not in his favour

that means we may have $1mill plus you work with come feb !!

Fantastic...we should be able to get 7 plodders for that....

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Unlike Saab and Lomax, Dufty's body frame is his main problem. Given that we have a pair of long term halves with Sailor, Clune and young Sulivan coming through, there does not seem to be room for Dufty. I just don't understand why Millward extended his contract for a further two years.

from what I heard Dufty backed himself in the two year extension and he is on a fairly base pay with high nrl game payments

not hurting us Re sal cap
Hurting him though if he doesn’t play nrl and or play for another club

Reactions: jak

jak

Bench

Merrin and Williame NIL in 2020 means we may have finally solved the $500k pa we needed to replace JDB now if we choose to...... plus we would also receive his $550k pa back again come the court decision if not in his favour

unless we have used some money already to average / pre pay 2020 payments from a player like Lomax who would cost us more in 2021 onwards with his next contract
great post ag , seems millward may be doing a better job than some on this forum think.

George Dragon

Juniors

All players count towards the salary cap no matter where they come from.
If it was that easy Manly Sharks and Dogs would of signed poms to fix their salary cap.
Base salary do work that way and are good in principle but can hurt you if you have a bad year or injuries.
All bonuses are totaled at the end of the year and are taken off the next years cap.
Take this year Lomax is on a good bonus and played most of the year in FG plus as you pointed out players lke Pearson and Rava getting FG bonuses. Then we have Saab Ford Sailor making FG debuts and getting big bonuses add players who have rep clauses in their contracts. That could add up to as much as 300k out if 2020 cap.
Luke is a great example, the club said he is on base contract plus bonuses. Just my figures here but say it's 120k plus 5k every FG game
The guys plays 20min every week off the bench and earns another 120k.
That's gets added to next years cap.
So Luke cost 240k

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Thanks George

When did the non Sal cap first year exemption stop from UK ?

I thought it was still current?

At this stage Luke is good value and is no certainty to play especially if cams leg is good to go and or if Kerr, Ford etc demand a bench spot Or MeRRIN hits the ground running

Or if we can afford another middle player

Frank Facer

First Grade
We are in the race to sign Addo Carr. He wants to return to Sydney ASAP, but Melbourne won't let him go. We should be offering either or both of Aitken and Lafai. Melbourne have lost Scott and Chambers, so they could do with a centre or 2. I doubt that Bellamy would take up the offer.

Easts and Canterbury are the other 2 clubs reported to be in the race for Addo Carr's signature. If we don't get him now, I doubt that we will next year either. My guess is that he will end up at Easts. They would like to get him for this year too. They also have the cap space with Mitchell leaving.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Your right Frank Addo Carr would be good. I would think the roosters would be looking for a centre after letting Mitchel go and the possible injury of the young fellow they were looking to replace him with

Smurf

Juniors
We are in the race to sign Addo Carr. He wants to return to Sydney ASAP, but Melbourne won't let him go. We should be offering either or both of Aitken and Lafai. Melbourne have lost Scott and Chambers, so they could do with a centre or 2. I doubt that Bellamy would take up the offer.

Easts and Canterbury are the other 2 clubs reported to be in the race for Addo Carr's signature. If we don't get him now, I doubt that we will next year either. My guess is that he will end up at Easts. They would like to get him for this year too. They also have the cap space with Mitchell leaving.
Agree but on top of Lafai and Aitken , give them Mary as well ( as a Painter )

Dragonslayer

First Grade
IMO we are about 500/1 to sign JAC.
The media seems to always throw the Dragons in for just about every player on the market or seeking release.
We have 2 (possibly 3) spots to fill prior March 1st. I highly doubt JAC will be one of them.

BLM01

First Grade
Players like JAC, Mitchell, Arrow and other marquee players from other clubs are beyond the grasp of our recruitment department. They just do not have a clue.
Especially when they have or are willing to sign contracts with a coach they admire and respect. It puts em out of reach for a while. We can try again next year or the year after. Basil can't sugar coat the club