What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st 4 weeks of 2020

kit66

Bench
I firmly believe in the policy of our NRL 17 being picked on form each and every week. There is no room in our squad for players to be complacent.

muzby beat me to it.

So if Friz or Vaughan had an off game you'd drop them ? For how long ? Were you being ironic ?

With our team you'd be dropping 6 or more players every week. You'd run out of options very quickly.

Old Timer

Coach
I used to own an XF falcon. One time I came out of work to find that my dipstick was on the drivers seat, and my gym bag had been taken.

Still went to training that night. Told some of the boys about it, and one of them told me that the dipstick on the XF fits the door locks.
So you're a dipstick ok I get that.

Old Timer

Coach
muzby beat me to it.

So if Friz or Vaughan had an off game you'd drop them ? For how long ? Were you being ironic ?

With our team you'd be dropping 6 or more players every week. You'd run out of options very quickly.
Indeed there are those that get pencilled in week in week out and those that are in indelible ink.
From my elected team the indelible ink would be
Vaughan, Mc Innes, T Sims, Frizzell
After that more than likely to be inked in
Hunt, Norman, Merrin, Lomax (although may be like Mitchell in that he might go back to CC for a few weeks at some point)
For them to be dropped on form would mean most likely 4 shit games in a row.
The rest of my team would be in trouble for 2 poor games on the trot notwithstanding the fact that if Dufty is a dog in defence or under the high ball he would be gone after 1 game because if he doesn't have it now he won't have it in 3 weeks.
Host and Lawrie in a similar boat in that they have to produce it form the get go but they are a little reliant on service out of dummy half and from the halves to ensure they are allowed to run proper attacking lines.

Crush

Coach
Week 1 I stayed local in Cronulla, a staycation of sorts.
Week 2 it was back to work for me but nothing too taxing, just eased back into it.
Week 3 Ive taken the family up to the central coast, its very pleasant up here.
Week 4 will be back to school and all systems go at work again.

getsmarty

Immortal
aitkene_2nh_8704.jpg

DRAGONS

Aitken motivated for big season
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 24 Jan 2020, 12:01 PM

Dragons centre Euan Aitken believes he can regain the form that once had him on the verge of State of Origin selection as he chases a new NRL deal.

The off-contract 24-year-old has received interest from other clubs but wants to remain with St George Illawarra despite a "frustrating" 2019 season.

In 2018, Aitken was locked in a pre-Origin selection battle with James Roberts. Roberts won that contest and the Blues claimed the series.

"I just want to do what I'm capable of. If I leave it all out there and it doesn't come my way, I'm happy with that," Aitken said.

The powerful ball runner's impact was dulled last year; a byproduct of St George Illawarra regularly playing off the back foot.

Aitken noted the Dragons struggled when it came to having possession inside the opposition's 20-metre zone.

remote.axd

McInnes named new Dragons captain

McInnes named new Dragons captain

"I felt like I had a lot more to offer, I just probably wasn't getting as many opportunities as I was used to in previous years – and that's a hard thing to take," he said.

"Centre is sometimes a bit of a position where if your team's not performing that well you're not going to get those opportunities.

"I think it's just getting back to performing as a team and on the back of that I can perform anytime.

"I've always got that strong self-belief that I can play great footy."

New recruit Brayden Wiliame is challenging for a centre spot, though he prefers to play on the left side. That creates a likely battle with Tim Lafai, rather than Aitken.

Nonetheless, Aitken considers the pressure of depth a good thing.

"It just pushes you to train harder and get bigger, get stronger and all that so you're at your peak," he said.

For St George Illawarra to flow in attack, Aitken knows their defence must improve.

The Dragons conceded 23.9 points per game last year - only the wooden spoon-winning Titans fared worse.

Aitken said new assistant coach Shane Flanagan has already made a big difference to their structures, aggression and attitude without the ball.

"We want to have that arrogant mindset: that we're going to be the defensive team that's going to be strong and try to ragdoll people," Aitken said.

"I think [Flanagan] is going to be beneficial. It's another mind, who's coached a team to a premiership. So it's always going to be good having a different mindset there.

"I think him and Dean Young are going to get our strengths in our defence."

St George Illawarra will tour bushfire-ravaged towns on the NSW South Coast including Batemans Bay, Narooma and Lake Conjola on January 28-29.

remote.axd

How the Perth NRL Nines will work

How the Perth NRL Nines will work

It's a cause close to the heart of Aitken, whose home of Pambula was affected by the blazes.

"Our home town didn't get hit as bad as other areas. It's very unfortunate but it's good to see all the positive influences throughout the community and see the Dragons putting on things to help donate money towards the victims that need it," Aitken said.

"They're obviously a catchment area for the Dragons and a rugby league area down there. They support us on the field, so it's time for us as a club to go and support them."

The Dragons have also joined forces with the Illawarra Hawks and Wollongong Wolves for a combined codes bushfire appeal golf day on February 3 at Wollongong Golf Course.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/01/24/aitken-motivated-for-big-season/

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Hopefully the dragons post up more pictures after 4 weeks, otherwise this thread is wasted.

possm

Coach
muzby beat me to it.

Then it would becom very clear to all concerned that the officials in charge are doing a very poor job and need to be sacked.

kit66

Bench
Then it would becom very clear to all concerned that the officials in charge are doing a very poor job and need to be sacked.

Nice theory, doesn't seem to be the case possm, not for the last 6 years or more.