What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCC news

I'm the opposite, I prefer the international aspect of our sport. The NRL needs to be played over 22 rounds.
Fair enough. I disagree, but that's okay. The only way I would be comfortable if they reduced the number of rounds to 22 is to introduce promotion and relegation to the Australian RL competitions. That would add more excitement to the season and the clubs would not have to be relocated, merge or potentially die. It is a win-win situation IMO.

Dakink

Bench
Fair enough. I disagree, but that's okay. The only way I would be comfortable if they reduced the number of rounds to 22 is to introduce promotion and relegation to the Australian RL competitions. That would add more excitement to the season and the clubs would not have to be relocated, merge or potentially die. It is a win-win situation IMO.
Don't think I could disagree with this post more. Promotion and relegation would simply not work for so many reasons in this country. Money, population and distance just of the top of my head

I am very envious Morley, have a great time. Are you doing it yourself or going on a tour? There are some very good ones around I can tell you. The closest I am coming to that is going to the trial at the Central Coast Stadium against the Knights on the Saturday night, 29 February. I am not sure what sort of team we will field that night, nearly one week after the WCC, but it should be fun to see the younger players coming through. Enjoy it, Morley, and please let us know how you get on.

Don't think I could disagree with this post more. Promotion and relegation would simply not work for so many reasons in this country. Money, population and distance just of the top of my head
You are entitled to your view, Dakink, but I disagree. Money: there are several other bids trying to get into our NRL now: including Wellington, the Western Reds (from WA), PNG, the Central Coast Bears, Central Queensland, the Brisbane Bombers, and another bid out at the Ipswich/Logan/Toowoomba area. I would suggest that the current NRL could be cut to, say, 12 teams and you have two divisions. Population: I agree, to some extent, so that's why I only propose two divisions, not four in the English Football League system, followed by their non-league levels on the football pyramid. Distance: The other idea could be to have conferences like the NBA. This avoids promotion/relegation, but would overcome the distance issue. I think we need to look at an alternative to the current model. Any further thoughts, from you or others, would be appreciated.

Is that something you do though?
Yes it is, actually. I have been to Canberra in July/August when it is officially 5 degrees on a Sunday afternoon and the wind chill factor is about -5, as Canberra is located in a valley and the cold winds sweeping down from the mountain ranges to the south are biting to say the least. Obviously, the English winters can be extremely cold, and wet and miserable, but some of the colder days in Canberra would come close to matching it, I believe, that's all.

https://www.roosters.com.au/news/2020/01/23/barcelona-and-bushfire-relief--how-wcc-kickstarts-2020/

The Roosters will again turn their World Club Challenge trip into a focal point of their premiership defence by combining a stint at Barcelona FC's world-class facilities with fundraising efforts close to the club's heart.

Trent Robinson plans to name a full-strength 17 for the February 22 clash with St Helens, prioritising the UK fixture over the Perth Nines a week earlier.

As with last year's trip to England via France, the Roosters see the venture as more than just a game against the Super League champions.

Their 2019 visit to Villers-Bretonneux and World War I battlefields – including a spine-tingling haka at a New Zealand war memorial – proved a significant touchstone in the Tricolours successful bid for back-to-back NRL titles.

Next month Robinson's side will travel to Liverpool via France and Spain, where they will be granted rare behind the scenes access to the operations of European football giants Barcelona and their $AU500 million Camp Nou facilities.

remote.axd

Roosters jersey to boost bushfire relief

Roosters jersey to boost bushfire relief

The Roosters will be guests of Barcelona at their February 15 game against Getafe FC, following on from last year when Roosters staff visited several English Premier League outfits including back-to-back champions Manchester City.

"The way that we conducted the trip last year, it's a footy trip but it's also a life experience for the players as well," CEO Joe Kelly told NRL.com.

"There's the footy aspect of it and that's always going to be front and centre. But the learnings and things like the tour of the Somme last year, that balance, you see it transcend through the playing group.

"They really take something out of those other experiences, it ends up adding to their footy.

remote.axd

Roosters gift former AFL player a Nines berth

Roosters gift former AFL player a Nines berth

"We're putting together an itinerary at the moment but we had staff members in London last year, and coming from the Premier League myself having worked at Chelsea, we took three of our office staff into Chelsea, Spurs, into the Premier League itself.

"We went up to Manchester United and Manchester City when we got up to the north as well, just giving an opportunity for people right across the Roosters to meet their counterparts in those clubs, create contacts and see the way they operate as well."

In previous editions of the World Club Challenge, NRL premiers have bemoaned the physical toll and pre-season disruption.

Robinson concedes it can take the best part of 10 days for players to truly recover from the travel.

But the off-field aspects of the trip make it more than worthwhile in his eyes.

His squad will also visit former Rooster Mose Masoe, who is recovering from a career-ending spinal injury suffered playing for Hull KR.

cordnerb-portrait-gp-13-copy.jpg

Roosters captain Boyd Cordner.:copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
Closer to home, the Roosters will also wear a one-off jersey featuring the NSW Rural Fire Service logo, again an initiative driven by Robinson.

Player-worn jerseys will be signed and auctioned off after the World Club Challenge, with all proceeds to be donated to the NSW RFS.

Roosters captain Boyd Cordner's home town of Old Bar came under threat from bushfires on NSW's mid-North Coast prior to Christmas, adding to his pride in launching the fundraising effort.

"It’s been devastating to see the destruction of the bushfires right around the country, and personally it has been tough to see the impact around Taree where I grew up," Cordner said.

"As players, we were very keen to look at how we could make a contribution to the important work of the NSW RFS, and we hope we can help make a difference through this initiative."

ROOSTERS

Thank you for that Legion and Pom. Yes, they certainly make me proud to be a supporter, and I have done so for well over 30 years now (and my father for double that time).

Less than one day to go now. I cannot wait. It will be broadcast live on FOX League, channel 502, or GEM, channels 92 or 95, from 6.30 am tomorrow (Sunday) morning AEDST. I predict the Roosters by 8.

adamkungl

Immortal
St Helens played well but will rue lost opportunities by their backline.
Makinson had an off night by his standards (still not completely fit/niggling injuries?) and the left side tried hard and did well considering the circumstances but Grace and Percival were definitely missed.

Liked Fages really getting involved early and putting a good try on, my usual criticism of him is that he doesn't put his stamp on the game until momentum swings his way but he played well above that today. Maybe he can cut it at NRL and Test level.

Walmsley and Thompson are just an immense front row. Thompson played like someone with a point to prove and Walmsley just relished the battle with 2 of the best NRL+Test props. Pity England won't play NZ for another year because Walmsley v JWH is something we all need more of in our lives.

Roosters - rusty in attack and discipline but ruthless when opportunities present themselves. Will take every chance, while inferior oppositions will waste half. Defence is, as I saw someone else on twitter say, just muscle memory at this stage. Absolute efficiency.
JWH and SST were huge. Keary looked sharp for a first hitout in months.
Manu and Tupou were the difference when compared to their opposite numbers. 2 tries from barely-chances compared to bombed tries by their opposites.

In short - A great contest, extremely high quality for early in the year. NRL wins again but St Helens showed to the doubters that the best SL teams can cut it at any level.

JFK Files

Juniors
Saints weren’t clinical enough, I am Welsby’s biggest fan but he didn’t execute like he should have.
Bentley & Costello tried hard but lacked that bit of class of Percival and Grace.
Good tough game though.

adamkungl

Immortal
Saints weren’t clinical enough, I am Welsby’s biggest fan but he didn’t execute like he should have.
Bentley & Costello tried hard but lacked that bit of class of Percival and Grace.
Good tough game though.

Yeah Welsby has looked good in earlier games this year but a bit out of his depth today. He'll learn from the experience though.

Latest posts