What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Fangs

Coach
A surprising stat on nrl.com about the Roosters last season. The premiers ranked last for forced dropouts with only 30.

Interestingly, Penrith came first with 64, and James Maloney with 31 had more on his own than the Rooster team.

stat-to-fix-roosters.jpg

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/22/roosters-stat-to-fix-force-more-dropouts/

Very interesting statistics.

We've gone from a team who wouldn't kick in the red zone to avoid 7 tackle sets. To a team that has more forced drop outs than any other. I can't find 2018 stats but in 2017 we had only 33 forced drop outs:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/01/stat-attack-most-effective-short-kicking/

And what to show for it? Forced drop outs = pressure. Would anyone call us a side that likes to build pressure in the opposition red zone?

TheFrog

Coach
Says more about the other teams than them really. They are certainly there for the taking but depends what sides kids take the step up quicker
The haven't got much to go by, mostly last year's results. It's no coincidence last year's top 4 are the 4 favourites. Of course the last time the top 4 stayed the same in consecutive years was....buggered if I know.

Pomoz

Bench
The haven't got much to go by, mostly last year's results. It's no coincidence last year's top 4 are the 4 favourites. Of course the last time the top 4 stayed the same in consecutive years was....buggered if I know.
In 2012 and 2013 the top four had the Storm, Rabbitohs and Eagles. The Dogs and Roosters made up the four respectively. Three out of four in the last ten years is the closest I have found in recent times.

The Roosters and Storm have made the top two three years in a row, starting 2017. Who’s to say they won’t make it four years? A great achievement in any case. Both clubs have been really well run for a long time and the results speak for themselves.

TheFrog

Coach
I have found the answer to this- 1958-59. The top four were not only the same both years, but in the same order. St George-Wests-Manly-Newtown. 1959 was also the last time a side was unbeaten (St George 19 wins and 1 draw).

roofromoz

First Grade
Found myself in a bit of a research rabbit hole yesterday and stumbled across the old Rugby League News magazine, in which all issues from 1920 to 1973 have been scanned on the Trove website.

Anyway, I started flicking through the 1963 editions and lo and behold there was a draw for the new Inter District competition, in which Penrith were one of the 10 teams. As the story goes, it was Penrith and Cronulla who were promoted in 1966 and yada yada yada...

One thing that really piqued my interest was that for the 1963 season the home ground was across the road at the showground. In 1964 they moved to Penrith Park.

OldPanther

Coach
And why did they offer so little?

Was it there lack of ability or did our coaching and game plan contribute to the sweet f**k all as you put it.

Egan and Katoa more than capable of bringing the same skill set as Api at less cost but where never allowed to express themselves.

Egan considered by some to be the next Cameron Smith, one season after Ivan’s return he is shipped off. He was capable of so much more and certainly the equal of Api but is gone. He had sweet f**k all chance of proving his worth to this club.

Ivan himself has said the attack wasn't up to standard and has brought in Barrett to help fix it so I'd say coaching was a big issue and the club know it.

OldPanther

Coach
Katoa and Egan has soooo many chances, they didn't take them. Their service was shit last year, neither would run, neither kicks much. Neither is a great defender. They both consistently put us under pressure with shit service and errors. Its time to start being a ltitle realistic, not every kid that doesn't turn into a star is being held back. They just aren't as good as we think. If Sione couldn't establish himself after 4 years of FG under 2 different coaches then trying to make it someone else's fault is just silly.

The running thing on it's own I think is a coaching thing. We had 3 hookers with different styles who all refused to run. Makes no sense.

Kilkenny

Coach
The running thing on it's own I think is a coaching thing. We had 3 hookers with different styles who all refused to run. Makes no sense.

In my opinion our game plan did not allow them to run and we suffered as a consequence. I know most don’t agree with me but Katoa & Egan we’re both better players than what they showed. We have invested heavily in Api and most seem to think he is going to be a relevation for us I’m just not so confident as many others. He is a good player but I’m not sure he is going to deliver from some believe he will.

OldPanther

Coach
In my opinion our game plan did not allow them to run and we suffered as a consequence. I know most don’t agree with me but Katoa & Egan we’re both better players than what they showed. We have invested heavily in Api and most seem to think he is going to be a relevation for us I’m just not so confident as many others. He is a good player but I’m not sure he is going to deliver from some believe he will.

Everyone knows I was hyping up Egan more than anyone but I don't mind what's happened IF it leads to results.

Kilkenny

Coach
Everyone knows I was hyping up Egan more than anyone but I don't mind what's happened IF it leads to results.

Wade Egan was being talked up as potentially being the next Cameron Smith. For whatever reason he never quite kicked on with us and I’m not sure it is down to his footballing ability, footballing brain or skill set. I believe the coaching unit as a whole both our former coach and now current coach were not able to get the best out of him and that is disappointing because we shouldn’t have been in the market for a dummy half, we should have been spending that money in other areas which as it stand’s we still have address the deficiencies in our outside backs.

TheFrog

Coach
Found myself in a bit of a research rabbit hole yesterday and stumbled across the old Rugby League News magazine, in which all issues from 1920 to 1973 have been scanned on the Trove website.

Anyway, I started flicking through the 1963 editions and lo and behold there was a draw for the new Inter District competition, in which Penrith were one of the 10 teams. As the story goes, it was Penrith and Cronulla who were promoted in 1966 and yada yada yada...

One thing that really piqued my interest was that for the 1963 season the home ground was across the road at the showground. In 1964 they moved to Penrith Park.
Wentworthville, with Lewis Jones as captain-coach, won this competition every year until 1970, except for 1966, when we beat them in the GF in our final game in the second division.

Wentworthville, with Lewis Jones as captain-coach, won this competition every year until 1970, except for 1966, when we beat them in the GF in our final game in the second division.

I remember reading many years ago about the 1966 promotion for the 1967 season.

Originally it was supposed to be Cronulla and Wentworthville but Penrith were selected ahead of Wenty because of the ‘66 2nd division GF win.

I’d imagine that Wenty would have eventually been forced to merge with Parra if they were ever promoted to first grade, given their close proximity to each other

TheFrog

Coach
I remember reading many years ago about the 1966 promotion for the 1967 season.

Originally it was supposed to be Cronulla and Wentworthville but Penrith were selected ahead of Wenty because of the ‘66 2nd division GF win.

I’d imagine that Wenty would have eventually been forced to merge with Parra if they were ever promoted to first grade, given their close proximity to each other
From memory the decision was made before the GF. I'm not sure what changed their minds but I have a feeling Parramatta showed concern that another club was going to be admitted 2 miles from them. It would have been a ridiculous decision.

Wouldn't be so sure about that merger. Souths and Easts both continue to exist in each other's pockets.

Panfa

Juniors
Curtis scott spent last night in a Surry hills cell after assaulting police he was tasered and charged lets see what the nrl does here.

Fangs

Coach
Curtis scott spent last night in a Surry hills cell after assaulting police he was tasered and charged lets see what the nrl does here.

Should be a simple one. Stand him down. And if he is found guilty de-register him.

Latest posts