What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashtest

Juniors
2019 was a great opportunity for him to play 9 and I think a coach like Wayne Bennett would have had the balls to do it.

That boat has now sailed and Cleary will be in the 7 for the foreseeable future #clearyball.

Why would Bennett have played the only genuine halfback at the club as a 9 if he had been coach? I think he would of done just as Griffin and Ivan did, and played him at 7.

Exsilium

First Grade
As unpopular as it may seem, Nathan Cleary would have made a great hooker.

While being stuck with him at halfback isn’t the worst outcome, I honestly believe he’d have been on another level in amongst the ruck.

That being said, as he is to stay in the halves, I’d have preferred he play six but that ship has sailed.

MugaB

Coach
As unpopular as it may seem, Nathan Cleary would have made a great hooker.

While being stuck with him at halfback isn’t the worst outcome, I honestly believe he’d have been on another level in amongst the ruck.

That being said, as he is to stay in the halves, I’d have preferred he play six but that ship has sailed.
Not nessesarely, he played 5/8th outside drinkwater in 7 for aus schoolboys, he is basically playing 6 whilst Maloney was on our team last year and in origin, I'd rather he take on hooking tho, since he gets first choice at dummy half to decide on plays, instead of waiting on good ball from another hooker, plus he has great passing, he would be a better, younger and fitter peter wallace or could go on to be another cam smith if he did.
To me Jerome Luai suits 1/2back, which can involve May or Burton down the line in at 5/8th

Fangs

Coach
Why would Bennett have played the only genuine halfback at the club as a 9 if he had been coach? I think he would of done just as Griffin and Ivan did, and played him at 7.

Maloney would have played halfback just fine. We could have fit in Luai into our spine. Cleary would have done a far better job at hooker than Katoa/Egan. There are too many reasons.

All wishful thinking, it didn't happen and it won't in the future. Cleary will be our halfback for a long time to come.

Kilkenny

Coach
Josh Ado-Carr still in this news with an article in today’s Tele about him still seeking an early release from the Storm. You just can’t help feeling he will be in Roosters colours in 2020.

Kilkenny

Coach
or Souths

Perhaps. The whole situation stinks and just makes a mockery of the salary cap.

Such a shame there is not a draft similar to the AFL. I know we could potentially suffer given our strong junior base but we are a breeding ground for other clubs anyway so probably doesn’t make that much difference. I think from memory Josh Ado-Carr was in his early years a Penrith Junior as well did he not play for Doonside before the Tigers picked him up for there Matts side?

South’s have signed a replacement for Burgess from 2021 if not sooner and the worst kept secret in Rugby League signed Latrell Mitchell. Given Latrell had an alleged offer from the West Tigers of $800K a season or more isn’t it the case under NRL rules he should not be registered with Souths for less than market value even if they are only paying him $500K in season 2020. It was widely reported the Roosters offer was 800K for two years before it was withdrawn. Yet there are suggestions he has signed with Souths for much less than either the Tigers or Roosters offers and his contract has been registered by the NRL. I don’t get it. Souths can have him , I have no issues with them signing him but he should be registered by the NRL with a figure of 800K under there cap regardless of what they are paying him.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Perhaps. The whole situation stinks and just makes a mockery of the salary cap.

Such a shame there is not a draft similar to the AFL. I know we could potentially suffer given our strong junior base but we are a breeding ground for other clubs anyway so probably doesn’t make that much difference. I think from memory Josh Ado-Carr was in his early years a Penrith Junior as well did he not play for Doonside before the Tigers picked him up for there Matts side?

The thing is plenty of contracted guys leave too. Not sure how a draft solves that but certainly needs to be looked into

Kilkenny

Coach
The thing is plenty of contracted guys leave too. Not sure how a draft solves that but certainly needs to be looked into

In the AFL a player can negotiate to break his contract or move to a club of his choice but it comes at a negotiated cost in that the club he is seeking to go to has to give up draft picks etc etc agreed to by the club who is releasing the player.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Why would a talented young man go play for the Gold Coast Titans when he can say get f**ked and go play in England or Union? The draft will never work and its moronic to think its feasible

Kilkenny

Coach
What's narrow about that? Its disgraceful and makes MANY games pointless.

What game are you talking about? AFL, NFL can you please elaborate. There was a suggestion a year or two back a certain AFL side tanked there last game of the season to ensure they finished last to gain a slight benefit on draft picks? Suggested but never proven. I follow the AFL closely as a Geelong Cats fan interstate member so please enlighten me as to whether these many pointless games are in the AFL?

Kilkenny

Coach
Why would a talented young man go play for the Gold Coast Titans when he can say get f**ked and go play in England or Union? The draft will never work and its moronic to think its feasible

Why does it work so effectively in the AFL? How many talented young players are going to sacrifice there chances of a successful NRL career to play in inferior competitions in England or Union. You are talking thru your arse and would there is absolutely no reason it could not work effectively in the NRL other than the fact it was challenged in court and deemed to be a restraint of trade so it will never happen in the NRL which is sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts