What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
I want to see the best 8 teams play finals though. Geography shouldn’t decide who plays finals

We are now in a conversation about the sustainability of the NRL going forward.

Crowds are down and revenue outside of the TV rights deal is declining.

Put your head in the sand and think everything if fine and dandy but it is not in the real world.

Unless the two conference system is introduced there will be casualties amongst the Sydney based clubs and I personally don’t want to see that happen.

We need to think out of the square to sustain the game and one way of increasingly revenue is more Sydney based derbies which as you cannot refute is when we get our highest home crowd attendances.

BxTom

Bench
We need a second division with promotion/relegation. If they want to build interest in the lower grades, it's the way to go. Interest in the lower grades will be heightened as there would be something more to play for than just a trophy at the end of the year. Bring the number of teams in the NRL down so that each team plays every other team both home and away instead of this archaic luck of the draw system.

If EPL can do it with 20 odd teams, why can't we do it with say about 12 - 14 teams?

MugaB

Coach
We are now in a conversation about the sustainability of the NRL going forward.

Crowds are down and revenue outside of the TV rights deal is declining.

Put your head in the sand and think everything if fine and dandy but it is not in the real world.

Unless the two conference system is introduced there will be casualties amongst the Sydney based clubs and I personally don’t want to see that happen.

We need to think out of the square to sustain the game and one way of increasingly revenue is more Sydney based derbies which as you cannot refute is when we get our highest home crowd attendances.
So we've moved off discussion, to sustainability, answer me how gold coast or west coast, Adelaide remain sustainable, if they get a licence, how do they survive in your conference system without crowds or ratings or revenues when they dont play sydney clubs

MugaB

Coach
We need a second division with promotion/relegation. If they want to build interest in the lower grades, it's the way to go. Interest in the lower grades will be heightened as there would be something more to play for than just a trophy at the end of the year. Bring the number of teams in the NRL down so that each team plays every other team both home and away instead of this archaic luck of the draw system.

If EPL can do it with 20 odd teams, why can't we do it with say about 12 - 14 teams?
This can be done thru the compass conference system, if after 3-5 years of poor crowds/revenue/spoons a lower grade team can swap you out of your spot.
Example Parramatta eels run last 3-4 years, theyre replaced by wentworthville or redcliffe whoever is a better bid elsewhere that the game want to go to.
And other clubs can shift conferences to accommodate this, again Newcastle moves to Eastern conference, Cronulla to Southern conference, and rabbits can take parramattas place..

Kilkenny

Coach
So we've moved off discussion, to sustainability, answer me how gold coast or west coast, Adelaide remain sustainable, if they get a licence, how do they survive in your conference system without crowds or ratings or revenues when they dont play sydney clubs

Makes to difference to them? They are travelling on the road most weeks anyway. The GC Titans benefit from having two games home and away from the two Brisbane based clubs which will be derbies so to speak. More beneficial than playing the Panthers at home. I understand you don’t get it because you don’t get it.

Just for a moment forget about the Titans, Adelaide or the Perth whatever they will be know as and just put your mind to the crowds at Penrith Stadium when we play the Sydney based clubs. This is what the conference system is all about, it is about crowds, dollars, sponsorship, membership the game will be so much better off overall.

Kilkenny

Coach
At the end of the day when I sit in my season ticket seats on the half way line in the western stand (best seats in the stadium) the best afternoons/evenings are those when it is close to a full house playing another Sydney based club. They either bring there fan base to the game or have ready made supporters who live in or around Penrith. A 17,000 or more home crowd with thousands of other team supporters is so much more beneficial than a 10,000 home crowd against the Titans or Cowboys. The benefits of a conference system are irrefutable and should at the very least be considered but at the end of the day as I have said previously the stumbling block is the the Broncos who the. NRL earn there most dollars from,

MugaB

Coach
At the end of the day when I sit in my season ticket seats on the half way line in the western stand (best seats in the stadium) the best afternoons/evenings are those when it is close to a full house playing another Sydney based club. They either bring there fan base to the game or have ready made supporters who live in or around Penrith. A 17,000 or more home crowd with thousands of other team supporters is so much more beneficial than a 10,000 home crowd against the Titans or Cowboys. The benefits of a conference system are irrefutable and should at the very least be considered but at the end of the day as I have said previously the stumbling block is the the Broncos who the. NRL earn there most dollars from,
Well dont talk about setting up a conference system, when all you really want is The NSWRL only, you only brang this all up to show your shelfish hand about how good the Sydney based clubs are better off without the regional clubs, you cannot sustain the NRL as it is or how you've explained it in your previous posts coz, we cannot grow without expansion, into new markets as in Perth, Adelaide, and more teams in QLD, but only concern ourselves with Sydney.
Gold coast is a perfect example of how do you become sustainable in a competition that has too many advantages to the sydney based teams, a conference system the way i explained it makes it fair on every club, not just sydney, you'll still play everyone once in the whole competition, but only play your local conference twice, more rivalries, more inclusions for the far away clubs
The northern conference has 3 qld current clubs, and 1 new qld expansion plus newcastle,
This means these 5 clubs will play each other twice every year, that means more local derbys for Qlders, and they travel to Newcastle twice a year only
The Eastern conference has 3 sydney teams, 1 expansion team in Central Coast, plus NZ warriors these teams will play each other twice and travel to Auckland twice a year.
Southern Conference has 2 sydney teams, Canberra, Melbourne and and expansion in Adelaide same thing they all play each other twice.
Western Conference has 4 sydney teams and Expansion to Perth, so Penrith, Parra, Dogs, and Tigers will travel to Perth twice a year,
The rest of the games played against all the other clubs will rotate the following year in being home or away.
Now please find a flaw in this set up, where ive already found many in the previous Sydney vs Regional rubbish

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Makes to difference to them? They are travelling on the road most weeks anyway. The GC Titans benefit from having two games home and away from the two Brisbane based clubs which will be derbies so to speak. More beneficial than playing the Panthers at home. I understand you don’t get it because you don’t get it.

Just for a moment forget about the Titans, Adelaide or the Perth whatever they will be know as and just put your mind to the crowds at Penrith Stadium when we play the Sydney based clubs. This is what the conference system is all about, it is about crowds, dollars, sponsorship, membership the game will be so much better off overall.
Ok worst case scenario, lets say they go apeshit over your 2 conference idea, and also dont expand who goes to regional, who goes to "sydney"
I tell you 16 divided by 2 equals 8 and
Considering all other teams east of us are in actual sydney, we would be considered "REGIONAL" hence all we'll get is vsTitans, vs Cowboys, and local derby Canberra.
Your conference system is flawed, we need expansion and we need more conferences,

Best case scenario, it should spread out the marquee talent, knowing you'd play finals being top2 in any given pool, marquee players wouldn't just sign at the roosters, if you knew you'd top the conference in the western comp, Parra and Penrith would be in finals every year, (dependant on the loss of the Dogs, Tigers and Perth)
But only if we have this 4 way compass system,

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
Ok worst case scenario, lets say they go apeshit over your 2 conference idea, and also dont expand who goes to regional, who goes to "sydney"
I tell you 16 divided by 2 equals 8 and
Considering all other teams east of us are in actual sydney, we would be considered "REGIONAL" hence all we'll get is vsTitans, vs Cowboys, and local derby Canberra.
Your conference system is flawed, we need expansion and we need more conferences,

Best case scenario, it should spread out the marquee talent, knowing you'd play finals being top2 in any given pool, marquee players wouldn't just sign at the roosters, if you knew you'd top the conference in the western comp, Parra and Penrith would be in finals every year, (dependant on the loss of the Dogs, Tigers and Perth)
But only if we have this 4 way compass system,

Another bonus is there will always be a QLD team in the finals as the northern conference is all QLD bar Newcastle, and if Newcastle don't make top2 then 2 QLD teams in the finals, TV ratings will stay up simply on this point alone, when you have a whole state behind your team in the finals

BxTom

Bench
Another bonus is there will always be a QLD team in the finals as the northern conference is all QLD bar Newcastle, and if Newcastle don't make top2 then 2 QLD teams in the finals, TV ratings will stay up simply on this point alone, when you have a whole state behind your team in the finals
So if the two best teams are both in Sydney, one has to miss out because you want a conference system so that an inferior team can play in a pretend final. The NRL needs to have a couple of teams culled (relegation anyone?), it is already struggling to fund the teams it has, let's not add more in a conference system.

betcats

Referee
Interesting discussion, not sure how I feel about conferences or relegation...I don't think there is enough money in the sport for relegation to really work.

As another big NBA fan, the conferences do lead to weaker teams making the playoffs. There has been for a long time a huge disparity in the quality of teams in the NBA conferences, the west has many more stronger teams and this means there have been teams miss the playoffs in the west that would've been as high as fourth had they been in the east. Also the conference teams play each other more, so in the west you are playing quality teams a lot more often.

All that being said the current system is far from perfect so im not completely against trying something different, we need the leaders in place in the game who are capable of pulling it off though. Green berg isn't the one for that.

franklin2323

Immortal
You are all missing the whole point around what is economically viable for the game going forward.

Please have a look at how the two conference system works in the NFL and get back to me and then you may understand a little better on the merits or otherwise of this system.

Under the two conference system you have to accept a play off system where there will be one from the Sydney conference and one from the other conference playing in the Super GF. This system is totally foreign to anything we have ever been used too but at the end of the day the benefits financially out way the fact the two teams playing in the GF will be from different conferences.

Given you mentioned the NFL. Eagles this year made it despite LA Rams being a better team due to geography.

Lets use GC. If you are doing divisions and conferences it is likely they are grouped with Storm, Broncos and Cowboys...You think that gives them more of a chance of making the 8 then they get now?

The best GF recently was NQ v Broncos. That wouldn't happen under this format nor would you be able to get traditional rivals Souths and Roosters in a GF.

franklin2323

Immortal
Interesting discussion, not sure how I feel about conferences or relegation...I don't think there is enough money in the sport for relegation to really work.

As another big NBA fan, the conferences do lead to weaker teams making the playoffs. There has been for a long time a huge disparity in the quality of teams in the NBA conferences, the west has many more stronger teams and this means there have been teams miss the playoffs in the west that would've been as high as fourth had they been in the east. Also the conference teams play each other more, so in the west you are playing quality teams a lot more often.

All that being said the current system is far from perfect so im not completely against trying something different, we need the leaders in place in the game who are capable of pulling it off though. Green berg isn't the one for that.

The NRL is more than doing fine. it has the right mix sure the standard is down of late but I put that down to the mass of greats to leave the game over the past few seasons. The last thing it needs is to start rewarding mediocrity and stop teams building from within

MugaB

Coach
Given you mentioned the NFL. Eagles this year made it despite LA Rams being a better team due to geography.

Lets use GC. If you are doing divisions and conferences it is likely they are grouped with Storm, Broncos and Cowboys...You think that gives them more of a chance of making the 8 then they get now?

The best GF recently was NQ v Broncos. That wouldn't happen under this format nor would you be able to get traditional rivals Souths and Roosters in a GF.
Gold coast, Brisbane, Nth Qld, and Newcastle,
Why is storm there, and in the finals the best teams who make the top8 play each other, no reason cowboys vs broncos wouldn't happen.
You forget state of origin is geographical, as well as international matches, they get pooled a certain way. Top8 might get sorted out by points like they do currently, and top 2 winners get to week off after round1 of finals.
Either way gold coast might make it if knights and cowboys have an off year

MugaB

Coach
So if the two best teams are both in Sydney, one has to miss out because you want a conference system so that an inferior team can play in a pretend final. The NRL needs to have a couple of teams culled (relegation anyone?), it is already struggling to fund the teams it has, let's not add more in a conference system.
Top8 would consist of top 2 teams from each conference, if your really the better team you'll make it in the top 2 in your conference, last years broncos and sharks were terrible, and parra got smashed by Melbourne, the other teams filterd thru to be much better
Not sure who was really the better top 8 last year

franklin2323

Immortal
Gold coast, Brisbane, Nth Qld, and Newcastle,
Why is storm there, and in the finals the best teams who make the top8 play each other, no reason cowboys vs broncos wouldn't happen.
You forget state of origin is geographical, as well as international matches, they get pooled a certain way. Top8 might get sorted out by points like they do currently, and top 2 winners get to week off after round1 of finals.
Either way gold coast might make it if knights and cowboys have an off year

So you would give Knights a 2 hour bus and then a flight every 2nd week? makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.