What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

axl rose

Bench
Haha I only have one Jordan card and it ain’t a rookie card, best rookie card I have is maybe my Shaq one, this thread made me go through a heap of my old shit last night, kids weren’t impressed with my basketball cards but thought the board game hero quest I have looked pretty cool, might have a game with them this weekend but I’m also worried they might destroy it haha. I’ve kept it in perfect nick the last 30 years, the box is even in great condition, it was a big deal when my parents plumped up the $50 for that so I looked after it.
Also found my old issue one teenage mutant ninja turtles comic book, sadly it’s a reprint so wouldn’t be worth anything but my kids can keep there grubby hands off that also haha

Kids these days... I kept my Atari 2600 and the board games Mouse Trap and Guess Who for my son and some other cards and stuff for when he's a bit older. He probably won't care thanks to this internet time-consuming beast and it will end up in the trash.

I have an old Phantom Comic, Richie Rich and Archie comic, I think i got them in showbags in the 80s. I don't think they will see much love either.

billygilmore

Juniors
Kids these days... I kept my Atari 2600 and the board games Mouse Trap and Guess Who for my son and some other cards and stuff for when he's a bit older. He probably won't care thanks to this internet time-consuming beast and it will end up in the trash.

I have an old Phantom Comic, Richie Rich and Archie comic, I think i got them in showbags in the 80s. I don't think they will see much love either.

Yeah my kids certainly don’t look after things as good as I used to, particularly the expensive things, I knew my parents weren’t the richest around so I took great care of my toys.
Some things I’ve kept good care of weren’t your typically expensive things though more nostalgic, like the chess board and pieces I got for I think my 10th birthday, just an el cheapo but it’s still in perfect shape with all the original pieces, I learnt to play on that sucker, still remember the late nights trying to beat my dad who I saw as this grand master, games would last for hours. Still bust out the same board every now and then to play the wife but she’s more of a checkers player and gets the shits once I take her queen

Zadar

Juniors
Wasn't his original baggy green as he gave it to Kerry Packer some time ago, was probabaly a replica. Not sure of those bidding were aware of that.

Thommo has done the same

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...0/news-story/68434fcf5bb80ce044d2017bb5fb42a8

Thought warney mentioned a few times that the baggy green was just a hat, I remember him and mark waugh told steve Waugh that he could piss off if he thought they were all going to wear it to Wimbledon one year, and he could look like a dick if he wanted to himself..

microfilm.jpg

Anyone remember using one of these? Usually in the school library...

For the the kids surfing lu today, I can assure you there was a time when the internet was virtually free of ads and you could watch a movie in full without paying extra.

The speed was a bit slow and funny noises came from the telephone.

There weren’t many tv and radio stations and there were things called books. People spent hours looking inside them for no apparent reason.

Illicit drugs were a lot safer except for lsd. It’s not like these days where you take a strange pill and want to throw yourself off a tall building or head butt a moving semi trailer. You didn’t have to wake up in the spinal ward of the hospital and be told you will never walk again, like today.

People stayed at home and got pissed on Australia Day. No events to trouble anyone.

There were heaps of drunk drivers and many cars did not have seat belts. Nobody drove under the speed limit without an excuse.

I am not a woke or lefty green delusional filth bag. Self righteous people shit me. I am each way on global warming ( but don’t like pollution). I like wasting energy. Driving my 3.5 litre car with windows down and air conditioning on full feels f**king good. Cooling the air on the m4. It’s almost a human right.

But maybe we should change the Aussie day date. Celebrate on July 26. Meet the indigenous folk half way.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
But maybe we should change the Aussie day date. Celebrate on July 26. Meet the indigenous folk half way.

I remember a first fleet/ tall ship re-enactment and a bunch of red coat soldiers walking around when I was a young-un. Now it's 'celebrations' are all politically correct of course and just a piss up for a bunch of bogans.

I remember a first fleet/ tall ship re-enactment and a bunch of red coat soldiers walking around when I was a young-un. Now it's 'celebrations' are all politically correct of course and just a piss up for a bunch of bogans.

Yeah, we should call it eureka day and celebrate the ordinary Aussie putting up with the bullshit from corporates and government.

How many tolls do they want us pay? They lecture us on saving energy and to refrain from breathing too heavily and then introduce a blood sucking rip off toll so we have to waste petrol and time and choke on fumes on Parramatta rd.

All you get on the abc these days is a bunch of men hating feminazis and emo woke limp wristed males.
Ita was supposed to drag us back into the 20th century and there’s some cretin criticising fire fighters on there the other day.

Can’t even listen to Slade through the iPhone on the way home. “ girls rock your boys!”

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
The thing that got me about the Kentucky Fried Chicken menu was with the dinner box you got three pieces of chicken, coleslaw and potato and gravy with a roll, now days you get the 3 pieces of chicken with chips, potato and gravy and a roll, that is two serves of potato , would much prefer to get a coleslaw instead of chips like back then. Also wish they would bring back their bean salad, used to love that.

Kentucky Fried Chickens first menu in Australia 1968.

View attachment 35637

Just to drag us into the modern era ( yeah I know we hate it but)

36EA0B03-E540-43B8-BA4B-56A7B098E4CD.jpeg

So 21 pieces per 1968 pricing in today’s money would be $66.00

Flip over to the kfc site today and;

89BB69A9-2F4F-4922-BD60-45BA1D684078.jpeg

So your bucket is today is almost half the cost in real terms.

But any kids reading this should not jump to the wrong conclusion. Back in the day, each piece of chicken was large, fresh and not full of steroids and gm sourced grain.

The chicken had a lot more room in the cages and was allowed out more often, had a better life.

And often the killing was merciful and appropriate.

It tasted a million times better I can assure you.

The batter was also more wholesome and the adult workers would be covered in the mix. None of this $2.50 an hour stuff. They were very skilled in those days and they cared.

Working at KFC was a proper trade and a pretty good career. Perhaps it still is, I dunno.

And there would be a royal commission if they got an order wrong. It was so rare. Now we almost expect it because sadly, many young people can’t add up to 5 items or more. It takes a post grad degree in maths to accomplish such an academic skill these days.

You get into uni if you start a sentence with a capital letter these days.

For the kids at home, you’d have to flip a coin between becoming an automotive electrician at Padstow or a career in block chain financial analysis for a major us bank.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Just to drag us into the modern era ( yeah I know we hate it but)

View attachment 35654

So 21 pieces per 1968 pricing in today’s money would be $66.00

Flip over to the kfc site today and;

View attachment 35655

So your bucket is today is almost half the cost.

But any kids reading this should not jump to the wrong conclusion. Back in the day, each piece of chicken was large, fresh and not full of steroids and gm sourced grain.

The chicken had a lot more room in the cages and was allowed out more often, had a better life.

And often the killing was merciful and appropriate.

It tasted a million times better I can assure you.

The batter was also more wholesome and the adult workers would be covered in the mix. None of this $2.50 am hour stuff. They were skilled in thirds days they cared.

And there would be a royal commission if they got an order wrong. It was so rare. Now we almost expect it because sadly, many young people can’t add up to 5 items or more. It takes a post grad degree in maths to accomplish such an academic skills these days.

You get into uni if you start a sentence with a capital letter.

Yes so true what you say, i remember the first time i had Kentucky Fried Chicken was in 1969, were living at Paddington and my father and a neighbour went out to the newly opened store in Pagewood and what they bought back just tasted amazing at the time, such a unique taste which sadly hasn't weathered well over the years. Still remember not long after Kentucky opened in Australia, Henny Penny a Newcastle based chicken company opened branches around Sydney to go up against Kentucky Fried, the unique thing about Henny Penny back then if you bought a pack they would give you breast pieces and thigh pieces, if you wanted drumsticks or wings you had to buy them seperately, i miss Henny Penny from the old days, it was a unique taste and honestly was better than Kentucky Fried at its peak, unfortunately like KFC the remaining Henny Penny stores in the Newcastle/ Hunter region are a pale imitation of what it was like from the earlier years.

Latest posts