What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Stefano has to do is confirm it and the Tigers’ contract is null and void.

I'm not 100% sure that the contract will be voided even if that happens (though that could be the outcome). If the NRL have registered the deal they might have trouble having the contract set aside. They can certainly punish the offending club.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avenger

Immortal
I'm not 100% sure that the contract will be voided even if that happens (though that could be the outcome). If the NRL have registered the deal they might have trouble having the contract set aside. They can certainly punish the offending club.
I’m pretty sure it can be deemed null and void if we can prove he was coerced prior to the time period allowed.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I’m pretty sure it can be deemed null and void if we can prove he was coerced prior to the time period allowed.
My understanding is that players/player managers can be contacted at any time. They however, are not allowed to offer a contract prior to Nov 1st. Maybe I can be corrected on this point?

Bazal

Post Whore

I'm not sure that would be the case. Bear in mind I don't know all that much about contracts except from a termination perspective, so I might definitely be wrong.

But given that agents can be approach before Nov 1st I doubt that it would nullify the contract. Of course, Parra could argue that they were at a disadvantage because of it, but the contract itself wouldn't be nullified by default.

Gronk

Staff member
Yep, this from when the Warriors tried to pinch Brown. Sanctions only but I guess you could not rule out the contract being overturned. I mean it would be ballsy for the tigers to argue that the contract should not be set aside.

=============

Under the NRL's anti-tampering rules, clubs can only begin talks with players from other teams on November 1 the year before their contract expires.

If the NRL deems the Warriors broke those rules, it could result in sanctions for the club and O’Sullivan, whose name was on the bottom of the contract offer. But Warriors chief executive Cameron George on Sunday said they had not deliberately breached the anti-tampering regulations.

"We approached [Brown] on the understanding he was off contract at the end of 2019, which we're entitled to do," George said.

"It was later cleared up [by his agent] that he had a variation [in his Parramatta contract] that committed him until 2020 and that was it." O'Sullivan was contacted for comment.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wa...d-to-lure-eels-young-gun-20190217-p50yc2.html

Yep, this from when the Warriors tried to pinch Brown. Sanctions only but I guess you could not rule out the contract being overturned. I mean it would be ballsy for the tigers to argue that the contract should not be set aside.

=============

Under the NRL's anti-tampering rules, clubs can only begin talks with players from other teams on November 1 the year before their contract expires.

If the NRL deems the Warriors broke those rules, it could result in sanctions for the club and O’Sullivan, whose name was on the bottom of the contract offer. But Warriors chief executive Cameron George on Sunday said they had not deliberately breached the anti-tampering regulations.

"We approached [Brown] on the understanding he was off contract at the end of 2019, which we're entitled to do," George said.

"It was later cleared up [by his agent] that he had a variation [in his Parramatta contract] that committed him until 2020 and that was it." O'Sullivan was contacted for comment.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wa...d-to-lure-eels-young-gun-20190217-p50yc2.html

The Warriors knew his contract status. Don't forget Cayless was there and he would have known the best Parra junior since Hayne contract status. In any case I knew they were making a big play for Dylan in September before pre season training started in October.
Don't think that Parra don't play these games too all clubs do
On the status of contacts a solicitor has explained to me that anybody can get out of a contract if they want to. Otherwise it is a form of slavery, keeping someone to do what they do not. However to get out of it some form of compensation must be paid to the other party if they do not wan to end the contract.
So if Stefano wants to backflip it's gonna cost some $$$$ I'd imagine

Gronk

Staff member
The Warriors knew his contract status. Don't forget Cayless was there and he would have known the best Parra junior since Hayne contract status. In any case I knew they were making a big play for Dylan in September before pre season training started in October.
Don't think that Parra don't play these games too all clubs do
On the status of contacts a solicitor has explained to me that anybody can get out of a contract if they want to. Otherwise it is a form of slavery, keeping someone to do what they do not. However to get out of it some form of compensation must be paid to the other party if they do not wan to end the contract.

So if Stefano wants to backflip it's gonna cost some $$$$ I'd imagine

I think he must have been referring to employment contracts. Contract might be set aside if it can be proved that misrepresentation, duress, undue influence etc was applied.

Otherwise it’s the simple case of employers who don’t want new players who would rather be somewhere else. Yes consent often involves compensation (SBW) and also restraint of trade (I think when Joey Lielua went to Canberra he could not play against Newcastle?). Parra also released Lyon :rage: from his contract on strict conditions.

I think he must have been referring to employment contracts. Contract might be set aside if it can be proved that misrepresentation, duress, undue influence etc was applied.

Otherwise it’s the simple case of employers who don’t want new players who would rather be somewhere else. Yes consent often involves compensation (SBW) and also restraint of trade (I think when Joey Lielua went to Canberra he could not play against Newcastle?). Parra also released Lyon :rage: from his contract on strict conditions.
He is involved with an NRL club

He is involved with an NRL club

You can get out of a contract in the sense that specific performance cannot be enforced (i.e. they can't force you onto the field). But, in the absence of extraordinary circumstances (i.e. the contract itself being not binding), they can sure as hell stop you from accepting a conflicting contract (i.e. they can stop you playing for another team).

strider

Post Whore
He will not be at the Tigers in 2021. You don’t just put some kid in the top 30, giving him a substantial pay rise to long term benefit another team. It’s not like he was going to break into this years side any time soon unless we have substantial injuries.

The Tigers definitely did approach him prior to November 1 and all that Stefano has to do is confirm it and the Tigers’ contract is null and void.
I would laugh

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think you'll find that's called Rocktober. Like Dickember.
...Mutumbo

images