What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad Analysis

In that case, the leeches from St George deserve to be salted so that we can free this great club from what’s weighing it down.

I will not be surprised if the NRL licence is not reissued.

the only thing currently great about our club is it’s heritage.

Hopefully the new coaching staff tighten our defence.

Lord knows our backline will be bottom 4 this year.

If JDB is unable to play, Mary will win his first trophy for the club.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
source.gif

possm

Coach

Worse than that Dean Young will replace Mary as coach.

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnesc-190804_gt_88.jpg

FANTASY

2020 NRL Fantasy guide: Dragons
Author
Lone Scout NRL Fantasy guru
Timestamp
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 07:01 AM

An inspirational leader, a young gun with a new role and a returning one-time Fantasy star headline St George Illawarra's best buys for 2020.

We're previewing the notable NRL Fantasy buys and revealing all player prices for each club as the days tick down towards the start of the new season.

Cameron McInnes
Hooker, $900,000

St George Illawarra's best player last season and their new club captain was also the third-best scorer in NRL Fantasy, with a league-high haul of 49.8 tackles a game plus an underrated running game out of dummy-half.

And yet he was never in many Fantasy teams, giving a real advantage to the 13% of Fantasy coaches who snapped him up.

McInnes was one of three hookers to score 63 points a game (Payne Haas is the only player in the league to score more), and the other two were the always popular Cameron Smith (in 31% of teams) and Damien Cook (37%).

McInnes should be as good a captaincy option as those two, with the likelihood that he keeps an 80-minute role despite the arrival of fellow hooker Issac Luke at the Dragons this season.

lomaxz-1gp_465801.jpg

Dragons fullback Zac Lomax. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
Zac Lomax
Centre, winger/fullback, $389,000

Still only 20, Lomax is heading into his third year in the NRL with a positional switch presenting a big opportunity.

The Dragons are giving Lomax the first shot at the fullback spot in 2020 ahead of Matt Dufty, which creates the possibility of a significant lift in Lomax's Fantasy scores.

In 2019, Lomax played three games off the bench (with less than 10 minutes on the field on those occasions) plus four at centre, five on the wing and one at fullback.

He averaged 26 points for the season, a number which was weighed down by his time on the wing (22 points per game) and the bench (13 ppg). He scored 35 in his one game at the back.

Fullbacks generally score better than centres, wingers and interchange backs, so it's easy to see Lomax's scores climbing into the 40s early in the new year.

Trent Merrin
Front-rower, $578,000

Back at the Dragons for what will be his eighth season at the club following a three-year stint at Penrith and a season at Leeds, Merrin could go straight into a starting role in the Red V pack.

Once a Fantasy gun – he scored in the mid-50s in 2015 and 2016 – Merrin's numbers trailed off a little in his time at the Panthers so there is some question whether at the age of 30 he can get back to his best.

Nonetheless, he'll be an affordable option at $578,000, with a break even of 39, and has a better Fantasy pedigree than other forwards at his price range.

Dragons starting prices in 2020
Cameron McInnes $900,000 HOK
Ben Hunt $762,000 HLF
Paul Vaughan $674,000 FRF
James Graham $650,000 FRF
Corey Norman $635,000 HLF
Issac Luke $605,000 HOK
Tariq Sims $589,000 2RF
Tyson Frizell $582,000 2RF
Blake Lawrie $578,000 FRF, 2RF
Trent Merrin $578,000 FRF
Jordan Pereira $565,000 WFB
Euan Aitken $546,000 CTR
Korbin Sims $433,000 FRF
Matthew Dufty $429,000 WFB
Timoteo Lafai $428,000 CTR
Mikaele Ravalawa $401,000 WFB
Jackson Ford $392,000 2RF
Zac Lomax $389,000 CTR, WFB
Jacob Host $379,000 FRF, 2RF
Tristan Sailor $286,000 WFB
Josh Kerr $278,000 FRF
Jason Saab $249,000 WFB
Brayden Wiliame $246,000 WFB
Tyrell Fuimaono $246,000 2RF, CTR
Eddie Blacker $228,000 FRF
Joe Lovodua $228,000 HOK
More NRL Fantasy articles for 2020

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/26/2020-nrl-fantasy-guide-dragons/

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Lets see;
Dugan was not on 750k (450k but not 100% accurate on that) when he left. He was offered this but it wasnt his salary before he had talks with the Sharks.
Nightingale was on min wage (120k) plus long serving player allowance.
Nene wasnt on 350k either.
Since then the NRL has introduced top 30 from 25.
Yes, we've had to go overs for our halves (where most of the $$$ you speak of went) but we could if just re-signed McCrone or Shaun Nona!!!

Shaun Nona....now, there’s a name I haven’t thought of in a while. Remember when some folk thought he could be an excellent halves backup all because Demetriou recruited him for Brisbane? Has he played a single NRL game yet? If no, Darren Nicholls has 200% more first grade experience than him.

possm

Coach

I believe the licence will be re-issued mainly because SGI has already delivered what the NRL are looking for;
  • The reduction of one club from the NRL - Illawarra
  • The progressive re-location of clubs away from Sydney - SGI to Wollongong.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Too right, you ARE beyond help,
I’m happy to admit this 200% thing has stumped me.

I’ve never seen anyone achieve a % uplift off a zero base.

Calculators can’t do it. The greatest mathematical minds have never been able to do it.

So how did you do it?

I believe the licence will be re-issued mainly because SGI has already delivered what the NRL are looking for;
  • The reduction of one club from the NRL - Illawarra
  • The progressive re-location of clubs away from Sydney - SGI to Wollongong.

that is precisely the point I have been making Possm

For some years now we have progressively become more Wollongong centric, including the Playing and Coaching standards department.

I have no problem splitting home ground venues but when it comes to:

Club colours
Jersey
Coaching standards
Playing standards

No major signings, we are a “development club” developing juniors for all other clubs.

I lament the mediocre club we have become.

Thank god the passion of our supporters is still first class.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I’m happy to admit this 200% thing has stumped me.

I’ve never seen anyone achieve a % uplift off a zero base.

Calculators can’t do it. The greatest mathematical minds have never been able to do it.

So how did you do it?

Given your inability to understand basic concepts such as official club colours, it’s no surprise that most things stump you.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Given your inability to understand basic concepts such as official club colours, it’s no surprise that most things stump you.
Yes. It’s stumped me. But it’s also stumped all the great mathematicians throughout history.

Stop pigeoning and just answer the question.

And keep cheering the red, white & black.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes. It’s stumped me. But it’s also stumped all the great mathematicians throughout history.

Stop pigeoning and just answer the question.

And keep cheering the red, white & black.

The irony here is scrumptious.

Perhaps if you could compose well thought out questions, my interest would be piqued. Somewhere, elsewhere, you warbled on a ‘basic value”. Now, there’s a clue. Must I spoonfeed you?

Latest posts