What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

axl rose

Bench
I reckon I’ve watched parts of fight club 57x but never the whole movie

that would make for an interesting side topic actually

I didn't see it until a few years ago. Despite seeing it on every movies men must see before they die list for decades. It actually exceeded my expectations. Whatever happened to Ed Norton, was he not woke enough for Hollywood or something.

Wizardman

First Grade
I didn't see it until a few years ago. Despite seeing it on every movies men must see before they die list for decades. It actually exceeded my expectations. Whatever happened to Ed Norton, was he not woke enough for Hollywood or something.
Ed Norton is one of my favourite actors of all time. He has totally disappeared off the grid filmwise though. He doesn't even do "B" movies.

axl rose

Bench
Ed Norton is one of my favourite actors of all time. He has totally disappeared off the grid filmwise though. He doesn't even do "B" movies.
Just read a quick article that to be in more comic book movies he asked for a decent script. No wonder its been a long wait.

Springs09

Juniors
He’s notoriously difficult to work with. And he’s plenty woke

He has a film coming out soon called Motherless Brooklyn which he wrote and directed and which I dare say has taken up much of his time the last few years

axl rose

Bench
Good time to watch the movie Outbreak

You should get that checked man. If we don't hear from you Road House is the winner by default

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I’ve only seen Requiem for a dream once. I suggest watching it with a clear head and positive state of mind. I instead watched it hungover on the lounge on a rainy Sunday afternoon after an enormous tear-up the night before.... not the best place to be in for it.

Literally thats how I watched it the first time. I thought I was feeling bad before it. Was so much worse after watching it.

nöyd

Staff member
Good time to watch the movie Outbreak

You should get that checked man. If we don't hear from you Road House is the winner by default
You know, I heard you had balls big enough to come in a dump truck, but you don't look like much to me.

Misanthrope

Staff member
No China vists recently I hope .

I lived in China for five years, but it has been a while since I've been back. No reported cases here in Georgia, thankfully haha

Literally thats how I watched it the first time. I thought I was feeling bad before it. Was so much worse after watching it.

Now that I look back, I'm pretty sure I was in the same boat. Hungover on a rainy and cold as f**k Armidale Saturday or Sunday arvo.

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU's Favourite Movie: #45 - #41

71sLjLJT04L._AC_SY741_.jpg
#45 - The Thing (1982) - 178 points

Director: John Carpenter
Starring: Kurt Russell, Keith David, A. Wilford Brimley, and David Clennon.
Awards: N/A.

So savagely panned at the time of its release that it cost director, John Carpenter his multi-picture deal with Universal, The Thing's visceral violence and cynical tone were perhaps ahead of their time. In the long years since the film's release, opinions on the film have shifted greatly. It stands out as one of the truly revolutionary films of both the horror and science fiction genre.

file_03002f55fd_original.jpg

#44 - The Princess Bride (1987) - 180 points

Director: Rob Reiner
Starring: Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, Wallace Shawn, Robin Wright, Peter Falk, Christopher Guest, Chris Sarandon, Fred Savage, and Billy Crystal.
Awards: N/A

From the horrifying to the heart-warming, 1987's The Princess Bride is one of the most beloved children's films of all-time. Based on the novel of the same name, the irreverent tale of Princess Buttercup, her love for a boy named Westley, and the wicked depredations of Prince Humperdinck. Infinitely quotable and full of fun, The Princess Bride remains a popular film with adults and kids alike.

full.theroadwarrior_27247__63854.1578078441.jpg

#43 - Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) - 189 points

Director: George Miller
Starring: Mel Gibson, Bruce Spence, Kjell Nilsson, Vernon Wells, and Emil Minty.

The first Australian film in our countdown, Mad Max 2 (known in the US as The Road Warrior) is a seminal bit of post-apocalyptic fiction that would go on to spawn two further sequels and inspire countless imitators. Where the original Mad Max was a low budget thriller that had not fully embraced its post-apocalyptic roots, Mad Max 2 leaned into it to craft a grim, violent world that immediately captured the imaginations of audiences around the world.

Custom-Printing-Canvas-Decor-Marvel-Infinity-War-Endgame-Poster-Superheroes-Avengers-Endgame-Stickers-Home-Room-Wall.jpg

#42 - Avengers: Endgame (2019) - 192 points

Director: Anthony & Joe Russo
Starring: Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johannesen, Jeremy Renner, Don Cheadle, Paul Rudd, Brie Larson, Karen Gillan, Bradley Cooper, Josh Brolin, and Gwenyth Paltrow.

The culmination of 21 films and eleven years of character development, Avengers Endgame marked the end of the epic Infinity War saga and united the entirety of the ambitious Marvel Cinematic Universe into one explosive conclusion.

It was a feat never before attempted or achieved in cinema - a saga stretching over more than twenty films featuring a wide variety of characters and creative minds, but it proved a satisfying end to an era, while also opening the door for the next Marvel saga.

A1uMkascnQL._SY679_.jpg

#41 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) - 198 points

Director: Michel Gondry
Starring: Kate Winslett, Jim Carrey, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, and Tom Wilkinson.
Awards: Best Original Screenplay.

A surreal, cerebral look into the complexities of memory and romantic love, this Charlie Kauffman penned piece is brought to life by career-best performances from both Winslett and Carrey, who take the unique concept and non-linear structure and instill it with as much love, madness, and sadness as humanly possible.

It is a moving and often challenging film that raises questions of morality while also being about something as universal as the need to be loved. One of my personal favourites.

@Misanthrope cheers mate.

I've only seen Mad Max 2 & ESOTSM of those. Real surprised by the others. Although I've heard from many people how good the Princess Bride is.. The only thing I really know about the legend of Andre the Giants' biblical fart when shooting it..

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm not a huge fan of The Princess Bride, personally. I was more of a Willow, The Goonies, and Labyrinth kind of guy, but I can appreciate its cultural relevance.

Mad Max 2 is the only film in this Top 50 I haven't seen. Need to remedy that.

myrrh ken

First Grade
@Misanthrope cheers mate.

I've only seen Mad Max 2 & ESOTSM of those. Real surprised by the others. Although I've heard from many people how good the Princess Bride is.. The only thing I really know about the legend of Andre the Giants' biblical fart when shooting it..

If you like claustrophobic horror like Alien and Cube, you should check out the Thing. It was my number 1. Kurt Russell in great form and one of the best endings. Before its time and has aged well much like Bladerunner.

Yep - I need to watch PB as well. Seen bits but not the whole. Is it kid friendly?

Can't believe I didn't vote for ESOTSM. Loved it and a great serious showing of Carey. Winslet's character turns the Manic Pixie dream girl character on its head.

Latest posts