What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st 4 weeks of 2020

1 Dufty - has explosive speed and can sniff out a try. It will a make or break season, with Cody Ramsey waiting in the wings.
2 Saab - has speed, height, good hands. So, totally unlike any other winger we have got
3 Aitken - like Dufty, it's a make or break season. Hopefully he makes good, otherwise we should be inviting him to look elsewhere
4 Lomax - not a FB, end of story. Future captain, I reckon
5 Pereira - work on the handling and he could be one of the best 10 wingers in the comp.
6 Norman - but if he doesn't pull his weight I'd be punting him for Adam Clune or Sailor.
7 Hunt - see above
13 Frizzell - cos I want to see Merrin lumbering about at lock like I wanna watch "Frozen" continuously for 36 hours dubbed in Czech.
12 Tariq Sims - cos if he is fully fit he is a beast
11 Host - I still rate him. Worth persevering with
10 Vaughan
9 McInnes
8 Lawrie
14 Ford
15 K Sims
16 Graham
17 Clune - guided CC around the park beautifully last season and I think he can make the step up.
Extended bench of 18 Sailor 19 Kerr 20 Blacker

Old Timer

Coach
1 Dufty - has explosive speed and can sniff out a try. It will a make or break season, with Cody Ramsey waiting in the wings.
2 Saab - has speed, height, good hands. So, totally unlike any other winger we have got
3 Aitken - like Dufty, it's a make or break season. Hopefully he makes good, otherwise we should be inviting him to look elsewhere
5 Pereira - work on the handling and he could be one of the best 10 wingers in the comp.
6 Norman - but if he doesn't pull his weight I'd be punting him for Adam Clune or Sailor.
7 Hunt - see above
13 Frizzell - cos I want to see Merrin lumbering about at lock like I wanna watch "Frozen" continuously for 36 hours dubbed in Czech.
10 Vaughan
9 McInnes
8 Lawrie
14 Ford
15 K Sims
16 Graham
17 Clune - guided CC around the park beautifully last season and I think he can make the step up.
I agree it is make or break for a few so lets find out up front round 1 if they have got what it takes.
I believe the 1st part of the season is the best time to get fringe players settled and the notion that after a complete off season that 4 weeks in CC will benefit them is just plain rubbish. The good players in other teams will find their feet after 4 weeks so coming up from CC then is even harder than starting in Rd 1.
You'd stick with Graham ahead of Merrin any reason why?

Crush

Coach
7 Hunt - see above
10 Vaughan
9 McInnes
8 Lawrie
14 Ford
15 K Sims
16 Graham
Like your backline, not sure about your forwards and bench.
Issac Luke on the bench for me with Trent Merrin. I'm not sold on Host either but you obviously are for a reason so don't mind it.
Really ageee with that backline on all 5 positions though.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Who the heck are three and five?

There kid who played in the SG Ball winning Steelers team. Neither are eligible for first grade this year no use puting people in their non-eligible. You have to be a contracted NRL player not only that if you are part of the development squad you cannot play until June actually after June in the NRL unless there's a lot of injuries full stop putting these kids names it straight into the NRL is ridiculous they are not ready and they will be smashed

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
There kid who played in the SG Ball winning Steelers team. Neither are eligible for first grade this year no use puting people in their non-eligible. You have to be a contracted NRL player not only that if you are part of the development squad you cannot play until June actually after June in the NRL unless there's a lot of injuries full stop putting these kids names it straight into the NRL is ridiculous they are not ready and they will be smashed

Thank you for your informative reply; Muzby take note.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Thank you for your informative reply; Muzby take note.
I’ve taken note - The Steelers won SG ball.

Keeps intact the record of 100% of premierships won since the JV started involving Illawarra.

Time to kick out those mooches from Kogarah.

They’re not pulling their weight.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Actually, speaking of percentages..

You never let us all know how it was you calculated a 200% uplift off a zero base..

Please let us know.. You’ll be internationally famous.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I’ve taken note - The Steelers won SG ball.

Keeps intact the record of 100% of premierships won since the JV started involving Illawarra.

Time to kick out those mooches from Kogarah.

They’re not pulling their weight.

News flash: considering the club’s name, there will always be some sort of Illawarra involvement. Surely, you can’t be THAT thick?

I’ve been wrong before though.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
News flash: considering the club’s name, there will always be some sort of Illawarra involvement. Surely, you can’t be THAT thick?

I’ve been wrong before though.
What role did St George play in the SG ball win for the Steelers?

What role did St George play in the Cutters double trophy year?

[QUOTE="Old Timer, post: 13976056, member: 43798"You'd stick with Graham ahead of Merrin any reason why?[/QUOTE]
I'd pick Graham over Merrin cos he is a motivator and gives no less than maximum effort whenever he is on the pitch. Problem is that McGregor has pushed him too hard. Merrin should have always played prop rather than lock, but who would pick him ahead of Vaughan, Graham, Lawrie or (from the little that I have seen of them) Blacker or Timms? Not me.

Old Timer

Coach
So the team is now selected and we are playing a less than formidable Tigers outfit so we should have real expectations and obvious consequences for our players.
Lomax: You get the 1st 4 weeks to settle in and you need to concentrate on catching, positioning, returning and linking which is the skills needed for No1. You have a good head for footy and need to express that through your efforts on field.
Wingers: You have both had some 1st grade time, shown some skills but have some bad deficiencies you either show immediate improvement or no f**king around replace them. You can either catch the ball and not get dominated in the air or you can't.
Centres: Lafai to be rock solid in defence and show some quality attack in 1st 2 games or C U later forever. Williame no doubt can attack it's all about his defence and you must show you are not a turn-style or C U later after Rd 2.
Halves: Both experienced and extremely well paid. Get this team looking like a side that can score consistently from more than 25 metres out. Make sure you are involved for the 80 minutes and provide the positive link between forwards and backs and by the way you only have maximum 2 weeks to show us or enter Clune & Sailor.
Props: Vaughan to play with freedom and be able to offload. His position is secure but he has been used poorly. Graham has to dominate in both attack particularly PCM and also in defence or it is time to retire and make way for Kerr on a permanent basis. 2 weeks Jimmy and if you aren't doing it by then you never will.
Hookers: Luke biding time for Cam but BB has a chance to show that a hooker on the bench is a good & positive outcome for us.
Back Row: Hit ups and the occasional big hit is not enough in the modern game. Frizz has to stay wide and hit holes and put halves under pressure or time to move to the middle. Tariq has to show the form that got him to SOO and do that from the get go. TS has a tendency to look for a couple of big plays rather than be involved for the entire game. These 2 are pivotal in our go forward and if we don't have any then a kick in the arse into CC for TS will be required. Ford is in the wings and shouldn't stay there too long to repeat the past mistakes with youth.
Lock: Achilles heel position for us and we have been that way for some time. Lawrie is not the answer (nor is Graham or Merrin) and he should be back in the front row rotation. Whilst Host is not ideal probably best option for the moment and hopefully he starts there Rd 1 and Lawrie on the bench. Frizz may end up there with Host on the edge and Ford bench.
Bench: Looks a little light and unbalanced but almost understandable due to injuries. Fuimaono is the one has most to gain from selection and hopefully he gets to be the impact player Luc should have been. Bench will sort out better when we get Kerr back.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There are a too many 'ifs" to be confident of any predictions atm.

I think we will jag a win against the Tigers on Sunday. If so, then this is the squad that needs to go to rd2. However, with the pending return of McInnes, Kerr and even K. Sims, will this bring unbalance to the team, especially if we are winning a few games and the likes of Brittain, Host and Tyrell are playing excellent, why upset the winning formula? I can understand McInnes coming in but it would have to he a real battle between Luke and Brittain for the bench spot, if one is needed at all!

The first 4 weeks are going to be interesting indeed.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So the team is now selected and we are playing a less than formidable Tigers outfit so we should have real expectations and obvious consequences for our players.
Lomax: You get the 1st 4 weeks to settle in and you need to concentrate on catching, positioning, returning and linking which is the skills needed for No1. You have a good head for footy and need to express that through your efforts on field.
Wingers: You have both had some 1st grade time, shown some skills but have some bad deficiencies you either show immediate improvement or no f**king around replace them. You can either catch the ball and not get dominated in the air or you can't.
Centres: Lafai to be rock solid in defence and show some quality attack in 1st 2 games or C U later forever. Williame no doubt can attack it's all about his defence and you must show you are not a turn-style or C U later after Rd 2.
Halves: Both experienced and extremely well paid. Get this team looking like a side that can score consistently from more than 25 metres out. Make sure you are involved for the 80 minutes and provide the positive link between forwards and backs and by the way you only have maximum 2 weeks to show us or enter Clune & Sailor.
Props: Vaughan to play with freedom and be able to offload. His position is secure but he has been used poorly. Graham has to dominate in both attack particularly PCM and also in defence or it is time to retire and make way for Kerr on a permanent basis. 2 weeks Jimmy and if you aren't doing it by then you never will.
Hookers: Luke biding time for Cam but BB has a chance to show that a hooker on the bench is a good & positive outcome for us.
Back Row: Hit ups and the occasional big hit is not enough in the modern game. Frizz has to stay wide and hit holes and put halves under pressure or time to move to the middle. Tariq has to show the form that got him to SOO and do that from the get go. TS has a tendency to look for a couple of big plays rather than be involved for the entire game. These 2 are pivotal in our go forward and if we don't have any then a kick in the arse into CC for TS will be required. Ford is in the wings and shouldn't stay there too long to repeat the past mistakes with youth.
Lock: Achilles heel position for us and we have been that way for some time. Lawrie is not the answer (nor is Graham or Merrin) and he should be back in the front row rotation. Whilst Host is not ideal probably best option for the moment and hopefully he starts there Rd 1 and Lawrie on the bench. Frizz may end up there with Host on the edge and Ford bench.
Bench: Looks a little light and unbalanced but almost understandable due to injuries. Fuimaono is the one has most to gain from selection and hopefully he gets to be the impact player Luc should have been. Bench will sort out better when we get Kerr back.
So you’re sodding off the centres after a few weeks..

Who’s pulling on their jerseys though?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’ll add some of my thoughts;
Fullback: Lomax deserves a good crack at fullback as you say, hopefully not trying too hard to be James Tedesco mark ii just positioning, highballs and defence. Building his attack towards the season end.
Centres: Wiliame deserves a good extended stint I think he’ll go well. Wish he had another option than Lafai but at least he can pass. Will be interesting to see how Rava goes outside him.
Wingers: We have bugger all to choose from. At least the two we have will minimise our weak front row stocks somewhat.
Halves: One month, if Hunt or Norman are struggling replace with Clune.
Lock: I reckon they are using Lawrie as an extra prop due to having to carry a hooker on the bench. Once Cam and Kerr are back I’d go with someone more dynamic maybe Fuimaono or Ford with a Host rotation.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Why wait 4 weeks
That Will do me.
They are a clusterf*@k.
What! Do you think Mary was going to learn a whole new swag of tricks and pass his unbounded knowledge onto the team.

Get F%$Ked
That was the worse start to a season win or loose I can remember.

Why wait 4 weeks
That Will do me.
They are a clusterf*@k.
What! Do you think Mary was going to learn a whole new swag of tricks and pass his unbounded knowledge onto the team.

Get F%$Ked
That was the worse start to a season win or loose I can remember.

Maybe the players deliberately bombed those six tries we should have scored to push things along a bit.

Latest posts