What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

betcats

Referee
I think some people are being a little too self-righteous here.

Do we really honestly believe that Israel Folau is the only homophobe in rugby league? If you do, you have obviously not been around a rugby league team. Im not saying that is the right attitude, Im saying that is the way things are. The fact that only two professional players in the history of professional rugby league that have come out backs that theory up. Those two only came out in the prime of their careers.

The big difference is, Folau made his views public. That is unacceptable behaviour in our society which led to his sacking from Australian rugby.

I totally disagree with Folau's views. However, our game has given players second chances for some pretty horrible incidents. If Folau keeps his bigoted ideas to himself and does not air them in public, I am okay with a club giving him a second chance. Don't pretend that every teammate of his does not share the same bigot views as him, they just don't make them public.

If he does post those views again, Im all for a club tearing up his contract.

I am sorry but I don’t believe every Nrl player is homophobic, that is rubbish.

SBD82

Coach
I think some people are being a little too self-righteous here.

Do we really honestly believe that Israel Folau is the only homophobe in rugby league? If you do, you have obviously not been around a rugby league team. Im not saying that is the right attitude, Im saying that is the way things are. The fact that only two professional players in the history of professional rugby league that have come out backs that theory up. Those two only came out in the prime of their careers.

The big difference is, Folau made his views public. That is unacceptable behaviour in our society which led to his sacking from Australian rugby.

I totally disagree with Folau's views. However, our game has given players second chances for some pretty horrible incidents. If Folau keeps his bigoted ideas to himself and does not air them in public, I am okay with a club giving him a second chance. Don't pretend that every teammate of his does not share the same bigot views as him, they just don't make them public.

If he does post those views again, Im all for a club tearing up his contract.
He made those same promises to Rugby Australia, broke his promise, and then sued them when they disciplined and finally sacked him.

During those proceedings, he stated that he could make no guarantees that he wouldn’t do it again.

What reason does a club have to think that he will keep his promise this time?

franklin2323

Immortal
I am sorry but I don’t believe every Nrl player is homophobic, that is rubbish.

The other players would know who is or not. Could you imagine the media being all over x player being gay. Anything to do with gay he would be the unoffical spokesperson for. So I think it is the BS that would go with it

franklin2323

Immortal
He made those same promises to Rugby Australia, broke his promise, and then sued them when they disciplined and finally sacked him.

During those proceedings, he stated that he could make no guarantees that he wouldn’t do it again.

Age is the big one. He will be 31 and would want decent coin I think interest in him has been overstated

TDD91

Juniors
Superleague has an openly gay prop, obviously he isn’t a fan of Izzy.

Keegan Hirst has dropped down to Championship with Halifax now, but could still meet in the cup. Wouldn't be surprised if Folau suddenly "picks up a knock in training" that week.

betcats

Referee
No NRL club is going to sign him, the nrl won’t allow it. He is 30 now no one is going to take the PR hit to give Israel a swan song.

Wizardman

First Grade

The risk is on Catalans. I would not want Wests Tigers to sign him because of the sponsor backlash that would come with it.

Wizardman

First Grade
“Don’t pretend that every teammate of his does not share the same bigot views”

Apologies if I misinterpreted that.
That is a bit of clumsy sentence structure on my part. I meant that he would not be the only one to have some form of bigot views in his team.

SBD82

Coach
The risk is on Catalans. I would not want Wests Tigers to sign him because of the sponsor backlash that would come with it.
And the risk would be on the NRL if they registered his contract here.

Not only does Izzy have form in breaking his word on the subject, any future legal dispute would likely fall under the new religious “right to be a shitmerkin” act.

With all of those risks, why would the NRL touch him?

Canard

Immortal
That is a bit of clumsy sentence structure on my part. I meant that he would not be the only one to have some form of bigot views in his team.

Apart from being a dumbshit homophope, he is also guilty of the cardinal sin of team sports, putting his himself above the team.

And even after being warned, doing it again.

That alone should see most club's steer clear.

moffla

Bench
No NRL club is going to sign him, the nrl won’t allow it. He is 30 now no one is going to take the PR hit to give Israel a swan song.
He’s 30? Ffs. Feels like yesterday he was running out for the storm.
What a bizarre career/story

myrrh ken

First Grade
People riding the high horse here. Israel won his dispute so he's not guilty of anything other than putting a distasteful post on facebook.

We've let woman bashers, child terrorisers, skirt grabbers and head stompers back in after an eye balling from Greenberg.

Wizardman

First Grade
Apart from being a dumbshit homophope, he is also guilty of the cardinal sin of team sports, putting his himself above the team.

I couldn't agree more. Pretty bad business on Catalans part. I do agree with him getting a second chance though (if a club wants to take that risk), providing he shuts his mouth.
Catalans is certainly his last chance in earning money as a professional sportsman anywhere on the planet. If he stuffs it up, he is gone...and rightfully so.

Pommy

Coach
People riding the high horse here. Israel won his dispute so he's not guilty of anything other than putting a distasteful post on facebook.

We've let woman bashers, child terrorisers, skirt grabbers and head stompers back in after an eye balling from Greenberg.

If he won his dispute I assume he will be running out for the wallabies again after ARU we’re found guilty of wrongful dismissal?

SBD82

Coach

I might be an idealist, but I’d also like to think that the players in the NRL care about and look after their gay teammates, and wouldn’t want a bigot like Israel coming into their squad.