What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Super League

JFK Files

Juniors
Wigan just lack that bit of zip in the halves with Leuluai old, slow and more suited to Hooker, also Lockers can’t run but I expect Harry Smith to get his chance and that will make them much more dangerous.

JFK Files

Juniors
Both teams will get stronger obviously but also have key players to comeback in. Widdop, Hughes & Latu will help as will Gildart, Bullock & possibly Manfredi.

Perth Red

Post Whore
General thread for discussing the season as it progresses, games, results, predictions, gossip etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well an interesting kick off last night with a bit of ref controversy (wouldnt be RL without it!) and Wigan picking up points against a reduced Wolves team.

Tonight my team (Hull KR) KO and I have to say I haven't been this nervous about a season for a long time. We barely stayed up last year and this year everyone has us faves to go down. Can Tony Smith weave his magic or are we a sows ear that cannot be turned into a silk purse? Excited to see us get underway but kind of feel like you do when you watch a horror movie through your fingers!

adamkungl

Immortal
Wish Widdop played so we could see who could create the least points between him and Hastings while still getting constant plaudits

Taking The Two

Juniors
A load of rustiness there from both sides last night and also team’s needing time to gel. Despite Warrington arguably being slighter better on the night, especially one man light for much of the game, it’s Wigan that worry me more as a Saints fan.

They look to have a good spine in French, Hastings and Leuluai and the signing of Bibby, who’s already developed an understanding with Hastings at Salford, could be a shrewd signing.

George Burgess looks like he’s put on a load of timber and had probably the worst debut I can remember.

Taking The Two

Juniors
I think there’s an air of confidence amongst Saints fans, it’s understandable given how much of a canter the league leaders shield was won by and given that we’ve a settled side and all our rivals seem to have new players in their spine (Widdop at Warrington, Hastings at Wigan, Gale at Leeds, Richardson at Cas etc), however, it’s easy to forget we’ve changed coach and that will have some effect on us despite all of the quotes that he’s not here to change much.

We’re the only side to go three years on the trot (four, actually) as League Leaders Shield Winners and while it’s under appreciated, it’s something I’m personally keen to win, as it shows you’re the best side throughout a season.

I want to see us lift the Challenge Cup. The final was the only blot on a near perfect year, our bench was woeful and we never recovered once the forwards were rotated.

deluded pom?

Coach
Good game.
Wigan can probably consider themselves fortunate. Despite a man advantage, they were in a lot of ways outplayed. Chris Hill was red carded early for a poor high shot but Warrington dug deep and kept right in the game. Wigan played well enough as a unit but even with some lucky refereeing were unable to pull away. Star players need to stand up and be counted earlier. Bevan French the difference in the end.

3 Bevan French - lethal in the 20m zone. 1 try and contributed heavily to another. That said, needs more involvement in the mid-field
2 Ben Murdoch Masila - immense first half. Trampled George Burgess for the opening try. Less effective when the tide of possession turned but can't be blamed for Hill and Cooper getting carded.
1 Joe Philbin - really effective with the ball. Footwork and post contact metres.

Unimpressed by Hastings and Wigans backs. Didn't really use the numbers advantage until very late in the game. Not much creativity out of Hastings or penetration from the outside backs. Hardaker eventually had some good moments when it was 13 on 11. Not a fan of him in the centres really. Joe Burgess did will to eat up some of Austin's sloppy kicks and make some serious metres.

Some good performances out of Warrington who did well with a man down, two down at one point.
Daryl Clark, Stefan Ratchford, Matty Ashton all had good involvements and kept their team in the game with a man down.
Cooper held the middle well in Hill's absence until his yellow.
Blake Austin had his moments but with the game on the line couldn't hit the right kick. Mixed game.
Chris Hill had one to forget, with a lazy attempt letting French in for a try and then overcompensating with a nasty high tackle on another would-be try.

England's internationals Hardaker, George Burgess, Blake Austin could all be aiming higher. Philbin had a great game though. Ratchford was pretty good and will no doubt be kept in the frame.
Burgess after getting embarrassed went off and didn't come back? Injured or hooked?

Murdoch-Masila started on fire and could be up for a huge year. BMM flattening Burgess was another win for Tonga over GB.

Cook Islands will be happy to have Gelling back in first grade. Looked a handful with his touches.

Ireland eligible Ben Currie made a decent account of himself but Ireland will be really hoping England ignore Philbin.
No mention of Toby King who I thought had a good game.

adamkungl

Immortal
No mention of Toby King who I thought had a good game.

No doubt there were others worth mentioning! Just going on what I see. And I'll be honest, I don't know English squads as well as I do Aussie ones so naturally players I know to look for stand out a bit more. Will keep an eye on Toby King

adamkungl

Immortal
St Helens machine rolls on, Woolf gets his first win as a club first grade coach. That's some front row combo they have in Walmsley and Thompson. Both of them hitting it up every set, sometimes twice, perfect job of tiring the defence. Walmsleys 2 tries were well deserved. Massive big man performance. Lomax runs a tight ship, involved in everything, and the young blokes just follow the example.
Not much to say about Salford. Lolohea has a lot of weaknesses despite a big 2019. Some defensive lapses for a number of tries and failed to have an impact in attack. Dudson, McCarthy, Evalds, Williams all had a serious crack but ultimately couldn't do much against a near flawless opposition. Salford have unfortunately lost some significant parts of their Grand Final team.

3 - Lomax. A constant threat anywhere in the line, with involvement levels that other SL halves should aspire to. Never a wasted attacking raid. Combination down the left with Zeb Taia is as fine as it gets.

2 - Walmsley. Huge big man performance. Sets the standard for forwards in 2020. 2 tries from a prop is nothing to sneeze at but was merely the icing on the cake of constant damaging runs.

1 - Thompson. Similar to his partner but without the tries. Relentless.

Shoutouts to Naiqama and Fages too. Good games. Young guys Bentley, Lees and Welsby especially had quality games. Jack Welsby looks like a real player of the future.

Great game for International watch...

England - Wouldn't say no to a front row pairing straight of St helens. Walmsley and Thompson are serious quality. Lomax putting his hand up for that white 7 shirt. Percival solid.

Ireland - Bentley will have huge utility value if he stays in the top grade for the next 2 seasons. McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Tyrone McCarthy as solid as ever.

Wales - Grace, Dudson, Williams - all decent games without standing out particularly. I'm hyped on Regan Grace this year. Hitting his prime years and I reckon he can do things on his feet that no one else in the sport can. Can't wait to see him hit some space in the coming weeks.

Fiji - Naiqama took his chances perfectly when they came.

Cook Islands - will no doubt be calling up Zeb Taia and Dominique Payroux for their return to big leagues. Great backrow pairing.

Scotland - Coote off injured after some promising early work. Scotland will be hoping he's available.

France - Fages. Lethal at times and passive at others. Needs to take on the line as often as his partner Lomax does. He's only 25 despite having years of first grade football. Needs to learn to dominate a game rather than drifting in and out when the mood strikes.

Tonga - Lolohea had a poor game unfortunately. As ever, needs to iron out the inconsistency.

Samoa - Joseph Paulo with decent impact off the bench. Hasn't played for Samoa in a few years and will be 34 around World Cup time.

adamkungl

Immortal
the other game.. did anyone watch?

Internationals featured...

Scotland's Ryan Brierley got a try for Hull KR in their win over Wakey.
Shaun Kenny-Dowall made his Super League debut.
Ireland's Robbie Mulhern played off the bench
Wales Craig Cropzcak going round again for Wakefield.
Danny Brough did an ACL - don't think this makes a difference to Scotland but tough for him and his team.
France's Roman Navarrete makes his Wakefield debut, still not cracking a starting team.
Cook Islands born Adam Tangata will be looking to make regular top grade appearances.

TDD91

Juniors
Wigan just lack that bit of zip in the halves with Leuluai old, slow and more suited to Hooker, also Lockers can’t run but I expect Harry Smith to get his chance and that will make them much more dangerous.

Powell unlikely to play next week due to a failed concussion assessment during the game, so wouldn't be shocked to see Smith & Hastings in the halves with Leuluai at hooker, possibly with Amir Bourouh on the bench as well.

Latest posts