What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The player pool depth debate

kris rebane

Juniors
There is not much talent for 16 teams. Please remember the death of teams is eaten up with injury.

Imagine extra 50?

there is one disclaimer.

Thai is assume you want high quality competition even.
When there is 18 teams u will see players like latrell, Tedesco and Duffy dominate more. See more plays where strong player steps 5 guys. More flashy as great player makes fool of rubbish. I have seen footages from super league in 90s this happens.

And also risky funny player like obese kasiano or small Troy Bell has a game. So that is amuse.

There are more than enough players around and plenty of talented players at that who miss the boat.
If you are injured and miss out on either Harold Matts or S.G.Ball reps how the hell are you supposed to make an Jersey Flegg side unless you know somebody.
Its not like there are open tryouts or anything.
Seriously get rid of the interchange and see how many islanders would still be playing rugby league.

ed612313

Juniors
Once players like Justin olam and edene gebbie breakthrough and become successes or even superstars more and more NRL clubs will sit up and take notice of the huge potential in PNG and its untapped resources.

We’ll hopefully see NRL clubs setting up coaching clinics all over PNG in places like Port Moresby. Lae, Goroka and Mount Hagen etc Looking for the next NRL kumul superstar.

Agree.... if done properly (and the q cup team is a great start) they would flood the NRL.... Similar to how polynesians have but there are way more papuans than polys combined.....

mongoose

Coach
The lack of depth theory is a myth

Yeah I think it is... a lot of people in League just say cliched comments without ever analyzing the situation properly (hello Andrew Johns).

If there is such a lack of depth then why is a grand final halfback (Aiden Sezer) leaving for England? James Segeyaro has no contract for next season. Lot sof other solid players who can't get a contract or are stuck in lower grades. Just because every team doesn't have a Cooper Cronk, Damien Cook, Tedesco spine does not mean there is no depth in talent. It's as if some people think all 16 clubs should boast an Origin quality spine.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Yeah I think it is... a lot of people in League just say cliched comments without ever analyzing the situation properly (hello Andrew Johns).

If there is such a lack of depth then why is a grand final halfback (Aiden Sezer) leaving for England? James Segeyaro has no contract for next season. Lot sof other solid players who can't get a contract or are stuck in lower grades. Just because every team doesn't have a Cooper Cronk, Damien Cook, Tedesco spine does not mean there is no depth in talent. It's as if some people think all 16 clubs should boast an Origin quality spine.

Spot on
Add some very good first graders like Kyle Turner who would be a good fit for many clubs. He's giving the game up bexcause he makes more from teaching that playing
A great loss

the NRL should be backing pathways via bush footy and employing these blokes on good salaries rather than having them leave the game

myrrh ken

First Grade
Seg's WADA issue and Kyle Turner with concussions are the likely answers there.

I'm sure Sezer had suitors, but the lure of big money from Engerlund will always be there.

tri_colours

Juniors
Were are all these extra players? Only half the clubs have quality halfback, fullbacks, hookers etc now. So if there out there, where?

Perth Tiger

Bench
Were are all these extra players? Only half the clubs have quality halfback, fullbacks, hookers etc now. So if there out there, where?

That is the nature of all competitions though, key players are always limited. Look at the NFL, they have a nation of 300-400 million yet can barely find 16 capable quarterbacks.

But they are run like a business and know that servicing a market is more important than ensuring every team is equally capable every single year.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I don't think the comp is lacking spine players - even the Titans, Saints, Knights have a decent spine. Its everywhere else.

mongoose

Coach
I think 16 teams is ideal, maybe even 14 however I would be fine with 18 teams if it includes Perth and Brisbane 2 and I don't think the drain on talent would be as bad as some believe.

The NRL don't have the balls or leadership to cull or relocate IMO so they are just going to have to increase the number of teams if they are to expand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA went from 10,000 registered players in 1994 to less than 1000 after the Reds were cut. We’ve gradually been building it back up and likely to break 4000 this year. Watch it boom again if we ever get an nrl club here.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
https://apple.news/AoWcHJRwYRGS4qgjIEJK7ig

Billy says the NRL doesn’t have enough talent to fill another team and that more needs to be done about player development before a new team is added.

I wonder if he’s seen how much NRL level talent goes over to the UK each year because there aren’t enough positions in a team for them or because there’s not enough space under the cap to retain them.... or how many kids are getting a taste of NRL experience for a game or 2 during origin and then have to sit behind a string of other player because their club is full up in that position. You’ve been in horse racing too long, Billy. I think you left the blinkers on.

MugaB

Coach
https://apple.news/AoWcHJRwYRGS4qgjIEJK7ig

Billy says the NRL doesn’t have enough talent to fill another team and that more needs to be done about player development before a new team is added.

I wonder if he’s seen how much NRL level talent goes over to the UK each year because there aren’t enough positions in a team for them or because there’s not enough space under the cap to retain them.... or how many kids are getting a taste of NRL experience for a game or 2 during origin and then have to sit behind a string of other player because their club is full up in that position. You’ve been in horse racing too long, Billy. I think you left the blinkers on.
Billy just wants to be relevant again, ask him about the 686 PNG players playing 9s in port morseby, only need 17 of those to make a team, 30 for depth, and not to mention all the NRL players that go to RU, or ESL when they could have stayed with an extra team thats paid 13m from the NRL, billy wants more cameron smiths, and kayln pongas, but doesn't want another QLD team to give the QLD juniors a chance in 1st grade,
He's a moron, plus hows about coaching billy, aren't you the best fullback in the world, isn't there a coaching position you could fill, instead of filling your pockets from being a channel 9 puppet!Screenshot_20190226-020242_Facebook.jpg

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Looks like Todd is buying the myth as well. Or it could be just the usual excuses for not growing the nrl.

“One of the things we’ll have to consider is if there’s an 18th team, have we got enough players. Have we got the depth and talent to have 18 teams?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/6f05652c3d481dd6812d3415eae2c7c8
I’m sure if we looked at the current crop of NRL talent playing in the UK we could easily fill every position in a team and flesh out the coaching staff... that’s before you take into account players here on the cusp of NRL waiting for a chance and the pacific islands. Shit, could probably make 4 teams.

MugaB

Coach
I’m sure if we looked at the current crop of NRL talent playing in the UK we could easily fill every position in a team and flesh out the coaching staff... that’s before you take into account players here on the cusp of NRL waiting for a chance and the pacific islands. Shit, could probably make 4 teams.
so enough players for a 2nd Brisbane team, and a PNG team,
Don't forget if twiggy&co wants to convert to RL from RU, then all NRL have to do is fund an Adelaide team for the next 20 years, viola 4 expansion teams all in one swoop, just kidding NRL are too conservative, it will be only one expansion club, as they drag feet and arse till the next tv deal for 2028 before the 9th game

mongoose

Coach
The only way the NRL can expand is to have more teams because no sydney teams will relocate and the NRL won't let any of them die.

jim_57

Staff member
How many more Fijian and PNG born NRL players are there now compared to say 10 years ago?

I'd have to say there would be at least 5-10 more getting regular game time. Also there are plenty from these 2 countries either in the Juniors or development contracts (QLD/NSW Cup), so the potential is there for the numbers to explode in coming years.

That is without any real development plan at all.

But I imagine you could have 30 Fijians and 30 PNGians playing NRL and this arguement would still exist until no team comes last and all players are future immortals. It's just a convenient excuse.

Latest posts