What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 predictions, thoughts and general discussion:

RedVDave

First Grade
Greetings all from Prague, Czech Republic!

So I decided to take a year off from life in Sydney in 2020 however I very much plan on keeping up to date with the footy. I thought I would share some of my thoughts and predictions for the 2020 season and would love to everyone else's as well.

Whilst it is no secret our 2019 campaign was an utter disaster I'm actually feeling good yet indifferent about the upcoming season: I think Flanagan will be great for us however my concern is to great he has signed on for a 1 year deal the reason this has me worried is because I'm guessing that's all Todd Greenburg let him sign for and the reason for that in my opinion is he wants him at the Bulldogs. Both Flanagan and Dean Pay come off contract this year, our team will perform better whilst the Bulldogs struggle again. Greenburg will they say hey you've proved yourself worthy of coming back let me allow you to be head coach for the Bulldogs.

I obviously hope to be wrong about this but Greenburg and the Bulldogs are both as corrupt as they come so anything is possible.

A few other quick predictions ahead for the 2020 season are South's to win the grand final (unfortunately) Bulldogs and Titans to battle it out for the wooden spoon and Dragons to finish 6th.

Anyway I look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts and this thread being bumped in 6 months to see what a fool I have made of myself hope you all join in on the fun and of course GO YOU MIGHTY DRAGONS!!!

Coffs dragon

Bench
Here goes.....My bold predictions 2020 with extreme low expectation:

Top 4 will be Parra, Manly, Souths & Canberra
Bottom 4 will be Titans, Bulldogs, Panthers & Dragons (13th)
Paul Peanut McGregor will last the year before being sacked at seasons end.
Injuries & Origin will continue to be our excuse for 2nd half of season decline.
Our new CEO will come from under our nose and make little inroad with fans.
One of our halves in Hunt or Norman will be released mid contract at seasons end.
Flanno will move on elsewhere for 2021 after removing the bus tyre marks.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
For St George-Illawarra -
I think we'll finish 12th - 14th, which will be sufficient for the Board to offer MacGregor a 6 year extension and a trip to a Swiss Academy to improve his motivational skills.
I expect Lafai and Aitken to surprise the nay-sayers and have big seasons, mainly because their contracts are up for renewal.
Conversely I expect Hunt and Norman to confirm they are only here for the money. They will both have the odd outstanding game and then revert back to McCrone-like ordinariness.
I predict we will lose both games against the Wests Tigers with the Leilua boys doing a number on us.

For the rest of the comp -
Manly as dark horses to win the grand final
Souths to crash out in the finals burdened down by the weight of their own expectations
Dunno who to tip for the spoon. I hope its not Titans again. Warriors?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Greetings all from Prague, Czech Republic!

So I decided to take a year off from life in Sydney in 2020 however I very much plan on keeping up to date with the footy. I thought I would share some of my thoughts and predictions for the 2020 season and would love to everyone else's as well.

Whilst it is no secret our 2019 campaign was an utter disaster I'm actually feeling good yet indifferent about the upcoming season: I think Flanagan will be great for us however my concern is to great he has signed on for a 1 year deal the reason this has me worried is because I'm guessing that's all Todd Greenburg let him sign for and the reason for that in my opinion is he wants him at the Bulldogs. Both Flanagan and Dean Pay come off contract this year, our team will perform better whilst the Bulldogs struggle again. Greenburg will they say hey you've proved yourself worthy of coming back let me allow you to be head coach for the Bulldogs.

I obviously hope to be wrong about this but Greenburg and the Bulldogs are both as corrupt as they come so anything is possible.

A few other quick predictions ahead for the 2020 season are South's to win the grand final (unfortunately) Bulldogs and Titans to battle it out for the wooden spoon and Dragons to finish 6th.

Anyway I look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts and this thread being bumped in 6 months to see what a fool I have made of myself hope you all join in on the fun and of course GO YOU MIGHTY DRAGONS!!!

I tend to agree; Souths will be very difficult to stop this year,,, think Bennett and SGI in 2009/10. Signing Mitchell is a master stroke and his new fullback position will suit him perfectly.

Elsewhere, the usual suspects will all clamour for an all important top four spot: Melbourne, Chooks, Manly and Penrith.

Something tells me Canberra will fall back into the pack. Cronulla will qualify without really threatening. Parramatta’s inconsistency at being inconsistent will continue to frustrate their fans. Newcastle are in for a tough season...cannot believe they flicked Brown. NZ should make the tail end of the eight. WT? Who knows, who cares? Will go either way. Brisbane being Brisbane will be there somewhere. North Queensland are still feeling the JT after effects, so no. Both Canterbury and GC are making up the numbers.

SGI...sadly...is in for a disastrous time:

Top eight; Souths, Chooks, Melbourne , Manly, Penrith, Cronulla, Brisbane and NZ (although it wouldn’t surprise if WT supplant them).

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Have you been snoozing since 2012 (knowing the answer already)? Saints have been “rebuilding” for almost a decade now.
giphy.gif

The calm one

Juniors
Have you been snoozing since 2012 (knowing the answer already)? Saints have been “rebuilding” for almost a decade now.
My 2020 predictions are. I will be CEO. Remember our petition, CO 4 CEO. The Chosen One will be my secretary and a free sample of my famous tomato plant will be available at every home game. Lock it in Eddie

blacksafake

First Grade
I’m expecting us to finish no higher than 11th.
L plate to be gone by season’s end.
sharks & panthers will struggle.
Bulldogs to push for the bottom half of the 8.
Manly, depending on injury to the Brothers, especially Tom will either make the 8 or bottom 4.
Souths to fall agonisingly short.
Top four, Roosters, Raiders, Souths, Storm.
PS
Enjoy your time in Prague.

Frank Facer

First Grade
The DeBelin outcome is pivotal to our chances this year. If he is found not guilty, then I think we will make the top 8. If he is found guilty, then I don't think we will make the top 8. With DeBelin there, our forward pack is one of the best in the comp and we also have depth. Without Debelin, our forward pack is diminished and we then lack depth.

I think Lomax will have a breakout year.

I wonder if Flanno will have a word in Mary's ear and tell him to give Norman the reins of the team and tell Hunt to play more of a 5/8 role. That is what I think Mary should do.

It will be interesting to see if T Sims can regain his 2018 form now that he is injury free again?

I am predicting an Easts Canberra grand final again, with Easts my early tip.

Souths and Parra to be the other 2 top 4 teams.

Melbourne 5th.

BLM01

First Grade
No predictions for the Dragons this year except only dire ones until ties are cut with Mary and his playbook, book of excuses and prophecies and removed from being around completely.
JDB I will keep in house but hand it over to the court system, judge and jury
Lafai to retire from NRL sooner than later

Other 2020's:
Roosters to make the bottom half of the 8 and bow out quickly
Melbourne will make Top 4.but not win it..Smith to retire
Benji to retire. Tigers will make the 8

Spoon - I thought a race between us, Titans, Cronulla, Warriors and Dogs but now
Titans spoon as James is out for season again

Kearney to be sacked as NRL coach regardless of results

Big improvers from last year
Knights & Cowboys

Big tumblers from last year
Roosters, Canberra & Cronulla

Team to finish 9th and 10th - Manly & Penrith

kit66

Bench
I expect the top 8 will be almost the same as last year with possibly Wests replacing the Broncos who will continue their slide despite having some great young forwards.
Roosters - great coach, great backline, tough forwards.
Storm - Smith's last year you'd think, he may well go out a winner.
Eels - most dangerous team out there.
Manly - top 4 unless they cop injuries to key players.
Rabbitohs - will miss big Sam but Latrell is a bonus
Wests - can't wait to see Luch and Joey together ( like a dagger to my heart ).
Canberra - will challenge the top 4 if their new backline fires.
Sharks - who knows - the quiet achievers last year, could do a little better but mostly just in a holding pattern in the 8 waiting for fresh recruits.

Dragons with Mary still at the helm will be gunning for the Spoon. If Flanagan is actually the one calling the shots then our fortunes could rise but not as high as the 8, not unless there's a miracle or two e.g. DeBelin is free to play and we make a last minute significant signing of some gun forward, half or centre.

Last year was the worst year I can recall with just 8 wins ( 2 against Titans / 2 against Dogs / 2 by 1 point / one the refs gave us against Manly and one against a weakened NQ ) and yet Mary McGregor is still in charge. It's like a recurring bloody nightmare.
I'm hoping we have a much better year, for the player's sake. They must know they're capable of so much more but I wonder where the confidence and winning attitude will come from to turn things around.
Let's hope our younger guys can rip in and give us some memorable hi-lights.
Looking forward to big Josh Kerr becoming the smiling assassin and scoring lots of tries / Zac at the back killing it / our forwards regaining form and leading the way / Friz, T.Sims and Vaughan playing for NSW / Saab scoring lots of tries.

Forwards to shine

Backline to struggle

Breakout year for Lomax, Saab, Kerr and Ford.

Defence will be much improved but our attack will struggle.

If we finish above 11th I will celebrate for a solid week.

Baldy to take all credit for any team improvement and to throw Flanno under the bus if we play as we did last year.

Irrespective I am 100% behind our club and looking forward to the boys playing to the best of their potential.