What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 predictions, thoughts and general discussion:

18to87

First Grade
I agree that the JDB verdict will be telling and with him they could finish as high as 6th. Without him, it will come down to how much influence Flanno actually has. From all reports, things are different and players are putting in extra hours etc. If he also teaches Mary how to use the bench, then I think making the 8 is a strong possibility.

Of course, this would come at a price and we would be stuck with McGregor for even longer. Flanno will leave once he is cleared to coach, and we will be back to where we were in 2019.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The DeBelin outcome is pivotal to our chances this year. If he is found not guilty, then I think we will make the top 8. If he is found guilty, then I don't think we will make the top 8. With DeBelin there, our forward pack is one of the best in the comp and we also have depth. Without Debelin, our forward pack is diminished and we then lack depth.

I think Lomax will have a breakout year.

I wonder if Flanno will have a word in Mary's ear and tell him to give Norman the reins of the team and tell Hunt to play more of a 5/8 role. That is what I think Mary should do.

It will be interesting to see if T Sims can regain his 2018 form now that he is injury free again?

I am predicting an Easts Canberra grand final again, with Easts my early tip.

Souths and Parra to be the other 2 top 4 teams.

Melbourne 5th.

Talking about Lomaxes- did anyone see the St Helens v Salford Round 1 ESL match?- Saints seem to have made the coaching transition from Holbrook to Kristian Woolf seamlessly and dusted Salford easily. The standout was man of the match Jonny Lomax playing at 6, who with his headgear, was channelling Johnathon Thurston as he put players through gaps and kicked cleverly etc. Wouldn't have minded him replacing Gareth (but he's only marginally younger).

Could be a good omen for our own Lomax.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My predictions, 15 of them:

1. JDB will be found not guilty and will play a significant part in our 2nd half of the season.
2. Lomax will be a gun fullback.
3. Lafai wont see out the season (hence why we specifically targeted left centre replacements in Wiliame and Tyrell).
4. Graham wont see out the season (hence why Merrin was signed and assuming point 1 above)
5. Norman will make a huge impact now that he is actually fit.
6. Luke, see point 5 above.
7. Our forwards will recapture the form that got them selected for Origin and Country.
8. Lomax will be our leading try scorer
9. We will finish on the cusp of the 8 if not 8th.
10. Kerr will come out of his shell and play a NAS type role.
11. June 30 will be interesting.
12. The Cowboys to be the big improvers in 2020.
13. There will be a new winner of the GF a team that hasnt won one for a while.
14. Mitchell to bomb as a fullback and hurridly moved to centre.
15. Finally, the big one. Mc85 to suspiciously 'step down' as head coach prior to seasons end.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

1. JDB will be found not guilty and will play a significant part in our 2nd half of the season.
3. Lafai wont see out the season (hence why we specifically targeted left centre replacements in Wiliame and Tyrell).
4. Graham wont see out the season (hence why Merrin was signed and assuming point 1 above)
7. Our forwards will recapture the form that got them selected for Origin and Country.
15. Finally, the big one. Mc85 to suspiciously 'step down' as head coach prior to seasons end.
That sounds more like a Wishlist than prediction but I agree with a lot of it. Particularly in regards to Norman being fit, and Lafai not seeing out the season. The boys are looking very very fit. Especially Sims and Blacker is a specimen, he could well get a spot by mid season. If Jack is back, big day being tomorrow we have super competitive pack.

This Year?

Immortal
My predictions:

Mcjetski gets the arse after the Sharks beat Saints in rd 3.

Roosters get the spoon after being busted by the bloke that washes Nick's car becoming a whistleblower.

Souths win the grand final against Melbourne and everyone gets their wish of seeing a career ending injury of Cameron Smith.

Old Timer

Coach
My predictions
  1. Some people will again take great comfort from a few scratchy wins.
  2. The argument re "true supporters" will again rear its ugly head as a result of point 1.
  3. We will become a very poor imitation of Scumulla where defence and continual grinding is considered the best way to win games and we will suffer major season ending injuries playing that way.
  4. While Mc Fookknuckle remains we will battle to score > 16 points / game on average and will concede > 26 / game on average.
  5. Aitken will have 1 game in the 1st 4 games where he scores a double bulldozing over from 15 out and that will secure his place in the team for the season.
  6. We will concede several long range tries in the 1st 4 games and James Graham will be applauded for being the one player running back to stop them scoring under the posts (won't make any difference as they will convert from wide out anyway). That will be his major contribution and will earn him a start every week despite offering SFA in attack.
  7. Ford, Lomax, Kerr & Saab will become the 2020 scapegoats and sacrificial lambs.
  8. If De Belin returns to play for the club (other than if found innocent of all charges) it will prove to be the most destabilising issue the club has ever faced and will cause further bad blood within the playing group.

Gareth67

First Grade
Well at least the supporters of the Dragons will not be having high hopes for this season as we did after our semi outing in 2018 . At this same time last year I believe that most of us thought that we could take the Dragons finals form of the previous season and build upon it , but . . .

We therefore can only improve upon our 15th place and with Flanagan and Sheppard as assistants at the very least our defense should improve. That in itself is half the battle won , the rest will depend upon just what game plans that our dynamic maestro can think up .

As to JDB should he be able to rejoin his teammates, he will have a lot of work to do . No doubting he was the cement that held the Dragons defensive line intact and was sorely missed last year , but whether or not he will be able to put all of his problems behind him is another thing entirely. The main thing is that there is no disenchantment
should he be able to play again .

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
My predictions
  2. The argument re "true supporters" will again rear its ugly head as a result of point 1.
  3. We will become a very poor imitation of Scumulla where defence and continual grinding is considered the best way to win games and we will suffer major season ending injuries playing that way.
  4. While Mc Fookknuckle remains we will battle to score > 16 points / game on average and will concede > 26 / game on average.
  5. Aitken will have 1 game in the 1st 4 games where he scores a double bulldozing over from 15 out and that will secure his place in the team for the season.
  6. We will concede several long range tries in the 1st 4 games and James Graham will be applauded for being the one player running back to stop them scoring under the posts (won't make any difference as they will convert from wide out anyway). That will be his major contribution and will earn him a start every week despite offering SFA in attack.
  7. Ford, Lomax, Kerr & Saab will become the 2020 scapegoats and sacrificial lambs.
  8. If De Belin returns to play for the club (other than if found innocent of all charges) it will prove to be the most destabilising issue the club has ever faced and will cause further bad blood within the playing group.
I'm a bit confused about point 8.
If JDB is found guilty of any of the charges he will end up in prison won't he? How would he return to play for the club?

jak

Bench
My predictions
glad you stopped at 8

Old Timer

Coach
I'm a bit confused about point 8.
If JDB is found guilty of any of the charges he will end up in prison won't he? How would he return to play for the club?
Point 8 refers to the monumental difference between being found "not guilty" and being found "innocent".
So IMO if he is found "not guilty" and he returns to play for the club I expect some backlash against him however this would not occur if he is found "innocent".
Not guilty means it couldn't be proven innocent means it never happened.

BLM01

First Grade
My predictions
OT I predict u will make a positive statement abt our side at some stage this year......cmon u can do it. I know u want 2.

Crush

Coach
Point 8 refers to the monumental difference between being found "not guilty" and being found "innocent".
So IMO if he is found "not guilty" and he returns to play for the club I expect some backlash against him however this would not occur if he is found "innocent".
Not guilty means it couldn't be proven innocent means it never happened.
Huh? Courts don't declare people innocent. They are either found to be guilty or not guilty. Its not necessary to prove innocence in order to be acquitted. If there is reasonable doubt then he will be found not guilty.
I understand the difference between innocent and not guilty but the courts won't be proving Jacks innocence, thats not the system.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

I see the Charity Shield as a litmus test for the rest of our season. Under the fearless fuhrer, we are yet to beat the bunnies-one draw in six years is all he's managed. Souths may have a great backline but their forwards have been decimated and if our settled pack, even without De Belin, can't lay down a platform for a win this year, then Mary is sure to be headed to Centrelink.