What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field to Sharks

giboz71

First Grade
Was a bit disappointed in how Field developed, thought he could add a bit more weapons to his arsenal than just speed. Clearly the coaches didn’t really help him.

End of the day, he was a one trick pony and the show and go became pretty easy to defend as this was really all he knew.

kit66

Bench
He was offered a 1 year deal but declined due to the mcidiot cant coach factor. Looks like he will now end up at the Eels.

I don't rate Field for anything other than his speed, he's not much use for anything else, not in 1st grade. Having said that, the one team that may be able to utilize his talents are the Eels but only off the bench as a strike player.

dragondad

First Grade
I don't rate Field for anything other than his speed, he's not much use for anything else, not in 1st grade. Having said that, the one team that may be able to utilize his talents are the Eels but only off the bench as a strike player.
The fact that the one thing we lack is speed meant that it was important to develop Field and Dufty. Their combination with Luciano and his offloads was meant to be our future. It certainly worked well in the lower grades. Opportunity gone.

denis preston

First Grade
Was a bit disappointed in how Field developed, thought he could add a bit more weapons to his arsenal than just speed. Clearly the coaches didn’t really help him.

End of the day, he was a one trick pony and the show and go became pretty easy to defend as this was really all he knew.

Of all the damming evidence that the first grade coaching staff were ( are ? ) nincompoops you just have to look at the flat lining of development that Host, Field, Blocker, Dufty,Aitkin, etc , who first came into the NRL with impressive records with them only to see this stagnate. We only get by through players who had full development coaching before getting to us ( Most of the forwards & Hunt & Norman )

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The fact that the one thing we lack is speed meant that it was important to develop Field and Dufty. Their combination with Luciano and his offloads was meant to be our future. It certainly worked well in the lower grades. Opportunity gone.

Just because something works well in lower grades, doesn’t mean it’ll work well in first grade.

We need to get with the times. Other teams are out there buying gun players, and we’re trying to search for and develop the next superstar out of the Illawarra region and if discovered, hope that they will stay with us for less money.

p.s. Field wasn’t the next big superstar. He was a competent reserve grader.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If I were Field I’d go to the super league. I think he would kill it there. After a few years playing against men as a starting half he may well put on a bit of size and be able to return to the NRL.

dragondad

First Grade
Just because something works well in lower grades, doesn’t mean it’ll work well in first grade.

We need to get with the times. Other teams are out there buying gun players, and we’re trying to search for and develop the next superstar out of the Illawarra region and if discovered, hope that they will stay with us for less money.

I agree that we should be more aggressive in the market. That’s been disappointing. What I do know is if a junior becomes highly successful at another club, we’ll complain that we lost him to a rival.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I agree that we should be more aggressive in the market. That’s been disappointing. What I do know is if a junior becomes highly successful at another club, we’ll complain that we lost him to a rival.
True mate. I hope letting Field go doesn’t bite us on the ass. If he does turn into a superstar at another club I’ll be surprised though.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Yet another one of our fast backs who can't tackle. Unlike speed, bomb defusion, and various other skills, It's one deficiency you can't hide in any position on a footy field.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Field has gone with Gaz to Oz Tag or Touch me Up anyway something like that. Was never a league player in my eyes though I was hoping beyond hope.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Just like our coach and management are competent pub side standard

possm

Coach
What we really lack is a Gasnier / Cooper centre combination and wingers of B Morris and Nightingale quality.

kit66

Bench

One thing ? I know what you're getting at but that's a poor choice of words to describe the Dragons of late.:D
Dufty gets ragdolled and occasionally knocked on his arse but he's brilliant in attack, speed, evasion and is in there backing up and waiting for the off-load. That's all he needs to do and he's won us a few games doing just that. He plays fullback or wing and that's acceptable. I'll say also his positional play was improving last year too. Field on the other hand plays half or fullback but doesn't really have the size or level of skill in those positions to play 1st grade, speed is great but not on it's own. Great for Nines though.

possm

Coach
One thing ? I know what you're getting at but that's a poor choice of words to describe the Dragons of late.:D
Dufty gets ragdolled and occasionally knocked on his arse but he's brilliant in attack, speed, evasion and is in there backing up and waiting for the off-load. That's all he needs to do and he's won us a few games doing just that. He plays fullback or wing and that's acceptable. I'll say also his positional play was improving last year too. Field on the other hand plays half or fullback but doesn't really have the size or level of skill in those positions to play 1st grade, speed is great but not on it's own. Great for Nines though.
I'm still of the opinion that Dufty's best position is five-eighth. He needs to improve his tackling technique and practice his kicking game.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If I were Field I’d go to the super league. I think he would kill it there. After a few years playing against men as a starting half he may well put on a bit of size and be able to return to the NRL.

That’s the thing, I don’t think he’s a half...zero kicking game. To me, Field is s fullback. Going to the ESL would be a detriment, in my opinion. Adam Quinlan springs to mind here.