What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2020 - the Gospel According to Freddy

TheFrog

Coach
NSW arrogant?

After old mate Kevie bragged about how Queensland will triumph without any doubt, claimed Queensland's performance in game 1 was a 5/10 and victory was a certainty in Perth. How about all of Queensland laughing at Brad Fittler before game 2

Queensland's stupidity and hypocrisy is beyond belief
All this shit is just fish and chip wrappers.

TheFrog

Coach
Not that I disagree that they need to look closely at his spot for next year but would Freddy drop the captain after a series win? It would be a tough call for him to make.
Were the missed tackles a clear case of fatigue? I can't find the stats but I'm wondering if he played too many minutes.
I think there was a reason they made Tedesco vice captain mid-series and this might be it.

Legion

Juniors
Matt Moylan threw an identical pass (longer in fact) to Ferguson, who passed it to Tedesco, which led to a match winning try to Jennings. This happened in the dying moments of game 3, 2016. It didn't do Moylan any good the following year and won't do Pearce any good either.

It's beyond me how Moylan was ever chosen for a rep team. The bloke is a dead-set handicap.
At least Pearce is a good defender, backs up & isn't in the habit of throwing 'no-look' passes over the side-line.

TheFrog

Coach
It's beyond me how Moylan was ever chosen for a rep team. The bloke is a dead-set handicap.
At least Pearce is a good defender, backs up & isn't in the habit of throwing 'no-look' passes over the side-line.
He won a lot of games for us in the period from 2013 to 2017. He was an extremely dangerous ball-playing fullback at that time and still is when he's on but his best Origin performance was at five-eighth. His form has suffered in recent times with hamstring problems and lack of commitment to his career. I thought Flanagan had improved his defence last year but that seems to have fallen by the wayside now.

Legion

Juniors
He won a lot of games for us in the period from 2013 to 2017. He was an extremely dangerous ball-playing fullback at that time and still is when he's on but his best Origin performance was at five-eighth. His form has suffered in recent times with hamstring problems and lack of commitment to his career. I thought Flanagan had improved his defence last year but that seems to have fallen by the wayside now.

Yes I remember how he showed moments of brilliance but if a fullback is in the habit of missing tackles then he's a liability.
My memory is not as good as yours but IIRC he's never been a complete player due to too many errors in his game. He's just gotten worse over time.

"Lack of commitment to his career"? Yep. It's called a bad attitude that at a guess stems from him thinking that he's all that & some.

Typical Queensland. From today's Sydney Morning Herald -

Maroons set sights on having Keary declared a Queenslander
By Roy Masters
July 18, 2019 — 12.00am

Senior Maroons have not surrendered hope Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary could be re-classified as a Queensland player despite both state league bosses insisting he is eligible to play Origin only for NSW.

Keary, who was born in Ipswich, grew up idolising former Queensland half Allan Langer and QRL chief executive Rob Moore admits Keary wrote to NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg requesting his NSW status be reviewed.

Moore said, “When Luke first came on our radar, the eligibility criteria were in place and we looked at them in terms of his case and agreed he was a NSW player. He wrote to Todd questioning the decision and we looked at the criteria again and reached the conclusion he didn’t meet the criteria
to be a Maroon.”

However, with Keary three years younger than Queensland’s incumbent half and captain, 30-year-old Daly Cherry-Evans, and the Maroons desperate to reclaim the State of Origin shield, coach Kevin Walters requires experienced game managers. Should Walters be involved in any plan to recruit Keary, it would further demonstrate his commitment to Queensland over the Titans.

This year’s Origin series demonstrated the need for both states to have quality halves, with NSW selecting different pairs over the three-game series, while Queensland was forced to shift five-eighth Cameron Munster to fullback for the deciding match following the injury to Kalyn Ponga.

A double premiership player at two NRL clubs (Rabbitohs 2014, Roosters 2018) and an Australian representative, Keary is yet to play Origin.

Claims by senior Maroons to have him re-classified as a Queensland Origin player are based on his dual-state background as an Ipswich junior who moved to Sydney with his family aged 10, played in NSW junior and school competitions, before returning to Queensland for one year where he played State Cup.

Keary was deemed a NSW player under eligibility rules approved by the ARL Commission in December 2012 but senior Maroons argue the decision can be overturned because it was former NRL chief executive Dave Smith who ruled him a NSW player.

In January 2013, Keary attended a Queensland Junior Emerging Origin squad camp, only weeks after the ARLC had approved the new eligibility rules. Smith joined the NRL as chief executive the following month.

The eligibility rules allow for the NRL CEO to make a decision in the event of tied criteria and some Maroons argue Smith ruled for NSW following a split decision in the six-point eligibility test.

However, former NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr does not recall Smith being required to make the decision, saying, “Luke definitely failed the criteria which would make him a Queenslander".

Carr’s successor, David Trodden, said he was unaware of any bid to have Keary’s status re-classified, pointing out the Clive Churchill medallist attended all three NSW Origin camps last year.

Keary was quoted in the Herald in April, 2017 declaring his willingness to play for the Blues, saying, “I’m definitely in their (NSW) boat if they ever need me.”

Under the eligibility rules, Keary appears to fulfil four of the six criteria making him a Blue. NSW is the state where the majority of his year's playing rugby league from Under-6s to Under-18s were spent; it is also the state where the majority of his schooling occurred; where he was first selected in a state-run junior representative competition at Under-15 level, or above (North Sydney Bears Harold Matthews team) and where he represented in a state-based schools competition, being a member of the NSW Independent Schools team which played in the Australian Championships in Burleigh in 2010.

The six-point eligibility test was introduced to provide greater clarity following Greg Inglis’ classification as a Maroon, simply because Queensland was the state where Inglis first played top grade football after the age of 16.

But the banana-benders over time have demonstrated a clever capacity to also twist history to suit their claims and, even if they fail on recruiting Keary, they would be delighted to destabilise NSW by suggesting a Blue wants to defect.

Should Keary play for the Blues next year, he will join three NSW players who were chosen in the 2010 Australian Schoolboys league team to tour England and France: Canberra’s Jack Wighton, who beat him for the five-eighth position, front-rower David Klemmer and fullback James Tedesco.

Further from Channel 9's wwos website -

Brad Fittler warns Maroons over trying to re-classify Blues hopeful Luke Keary
By WWOS staff
2 hours ago

NSW coach Brad Fittler has warned the Maroons about trying to poach Roosters star Luke Keary, urging his interstate rivals to keep their hands off the Clive Churchill Medalist.

According to the SMH, Maroons officials are gunning to have Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary re-classified as a Queensland player.

Despite both state league bosses insisting Keary can only play for NSW, the Ipswich native has written to NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg requesting his NSW status be reviewed.

Fittler caught wind of the Maroons attempts to poach the Origin hopeful during an interview with Macquarie Sports Radio, and urged the Maroons to stay away from the yet to be Blues star.

“You took Greg (Inglis), you’re not going to get Luke, mate,” Fittler said on Thursday morning.

QRL chief executive Rob Moore confirmed Keary has tried to change his status to a Queenslander after spending years idolising Allan Langer as a child.

“When Luke first came on our radar, the eligibility criteria were in place and we looked at them in terms of his case and agreed he was a NSW player. He wrote to Todd questioning the decision and we looked at the criteria again and reached the conclusion he didn’t meet the criteria to be a Maroon.”

The Ipswich junior who moved to Sydney with his family aged 10 and played in NSW junior and school competitions but went back to Queensland for one year where he played State Cup.

Under eligibility rules approved by the ARL Commission in December 2012, Keary is a NSW player. However the Maroons want to overturn the rule because former NRL chief executive Dave Smith put the plan in place.

Keary attended a Queensland Junior Emerging Origin squad camp in January 2013, only weeks after the ARLC had approved the new eligibility rules. Smith joined the NRL as chief executive the following month.

Keary fulfills four out of the six eligibility criteria to be a NSW player because NSW is the state where the majority of his year's playing rugby league from Under-6s to Under-18s were spent; NSW was the state that he spent most of his schooling years and he also was first selected for Harold Matthews for the North Sydney Bears. In addition, he was a member of the NSW Independent Schools team at the Australian Championships in 2010.

The six point eligibility test was implemented to avoid cases like Greg Inglis playing for the Maroons based purely on Inglis playing his first senior game of football in Queensland.

Typical bannana benders, want the rules changed yet again just to give them an advantage. They can go get f'ed as far as I am concerned!

Xcalibre

Juniors
Did Luke Keary not play for 6 weeks due to concussions? I always thought it was convenient how he missed the entire origin period. He may have been available for game 1 but I don’t think he’s ever been comfortable being branded a blue. Too bad for him if that’s true.

Did Luke Keary not play for 6 weeks due to concussions? I always thought it was convenient how he missed the entire origin period. He may have been available for game 1 but I don’t think he’s ever been comfortable being branded a blue. Too bad for him if that’s true.

Mate, he was concussed. No way the Roosters would stand him down for 6 weeks just so he'd avoid playing Origin, especially if you look at how many losses they've had whilst he's been out.

The ideal NSW Blues halves combo for 2020 is Luke Keary and Mitchell Pearce.

Nathan Cleary is overrated, and Jimmy Maloney will be over the hill (or in Perpignan) next year

Legion

Juniors
The ideal NSW Blues halves combo for 2020 is Luke Keary and Mitchell Pearce.

Nathan Cleary is overrated, and Jimmy Maloney will be over the hill (or in Perpignan) next year

Cleary is still very young and still learning his craft.
I'm not a fan of promoting young guys just because of their potential.

Cleary should never have been picked for Origin. Too soon.

Last night he played really well against a Cronulla team that had a shocker.
He will develop into an excellent player given time.

If he continues to develop and play consistently good football, I'd have him pencilled in for Origin the year after next.

Rhyno

First Grade
As a Penrith junior, Brad Fittler despised Western Sydney rivals Parramatta. Not anymore.

The NSW State of Origin coach has singled out the Eels as his treasure chest for the Blues with up to seven Parramatta players on his radar for this year’s series.

And remarkably, Fittler has included a 115kg 19-year-old forward who has never played NRL — and who reminds him of Test forward David Klemmer — as part of his blue and gold ensemble.

Watch the 2020 NRL Nines tournament LIVE & On-Demand on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

481093ee9292ff5d80ef727dc67e2c7b
Fittler and Kevin Walters launch Origin 2020 at Adelaide Oval. Photo: Mark Brake/Getty Images)
Not since 1983 have the Eels boasted more than five players in an Origin match for NSW, but Fittler has declared 2020 could be a historic season for Brad Arthur’s side.

MORE IN
Rugby raid: Rabbitohs’ bid to keep teen sensation from Wallabies
Rugby raid: Rabbitohs’ bid to keep teen sensation from

‘My energy collapsed’: Champ’s scary health struggle
similars

Fittler nominated Parramatta’s outstanding crop of talent including Mitchell Moses, Ryan Matterson, Clint Gutherson, Regan Campbell-Gillard, Nathan Brown, rookie Stefano Utoikamanu and incumbent winger Blake Fergsuon as genuine contenders for the Blues this year.

b59bdb2b0fc09ee24a51585ebdd10931
Ray Price, Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Mick Cronin, Steve Ella, Eric Grothe and Neil Hunt after their selection in NSW team in 1983.
“Parramatta, they’re the team we’re looking out for,’’ Fittler said in Adelaide on Tuesday.

Never one to stop short of giving his most honest assessment, the Blues coach used the launch of ticket sales for Origin I, which will be played at Adelaide Oval on June 3, to outline the Eels prospects.

“Obviously there’s Mitchell (Moses), Ryan (Matterson), Gutho (Gutherson) was a big part of our team last year — he was 18th man for a couple of games — and Reagan Campbell-Gillard has gone there now.

“He made such a big impact, but broke his jaw not long after his [Origin] game (in 2018).’’

Campbell-Gillard has spoken this week about his number one goal being a return to the Origin arena.

Fittler said Ferguson was superb in the Blues’ series win over Queensland last year. But it’s 115kg teenager Utoikamanu that Fittler reserved special mention.

cb0a097db6d2b92adbdac4701b67aa5f
Eels rookie forward Stefano Utoikamanu could be a Blues bolter. Photo: Benjamin Cuevas
“There’s a lot of talk about young Stefano Utoikamanu,’’ Fittler said.

“I’ve been a part of all the [NSW] pathways and watched Stefano come through, so I’m really looking forward to seeing how he evolves. He had a couple of bad injuries.

“He’s like a (David) Klemmer, Payne (Hass), maybe not as mobile as Payne, but he’s a good player. He was the best player as they were coming through.’’

A club record eight Parramatta players represented NSW in Origin II in 1983 — Mick Cronin, Steve Ella, Eric Grothe, Neil Hunt, Stan Jurd, Brett Kenny and Ray Price.

Fittler said his insight into the Eels’ ability to dominate NSW Origin selection was due to the acute insight he had received from close friend and NSW assistant coach Andrew Johns, who is also a member of the blue and gold coaching staff.

his could be Moses’s year to shine for NSW. Photo: Matt King/Getty Images
MORE NEWS

Australia’s shock selection calls for South Africa tour

NBL unbowed: Kings owner’s wasted words

“I spoke to [Johns on Monday],’’ Fittler said. “And he was talking about a few different players. He was talking about Dylan Brown because he does a lot with him, but he said Mitchell (Moses) looks fantastic.’’

Fittler said the key to the Blues’ ability to repel an Origin series fightback from the Maroons would be drawn from the success of not only Parramatta in 2020, but each of the eight Sydney-based teams.

“A big reason we have evolved is the fact that two years ago the Sydney teams started to win,’’ Fittler said.

“St George Illawarra did really well, Penrith, Manly, Cronulla and Parramatta did well and of course, the Roosters. That’s what I want to see.’’

Rhyno

First Grade
Looks like Eels will have 7 or 8 players in the NSW team this Junior Paulo should be the starting prop with Haas

Legion

Juniors
Bitches Poses for Origin? What is Freddy thinking?
Talk about a turd in the punch-bowl. Maybe the kid gives good head but really, Freddy needs to pick players for their talent on the field rather than whether they swallow or not.

And @Rhyno , it's just wonderful that you still get a nice warm glow from what happened way back in 1983 [It must help you forget about all those wooden spoons since] but really, the past has nothing to do with contemporary times.

Off course Freddy will talk up Parra - and the Dragons, the Sharks, Penrith, Manly & the other Sydney teams - because he's the NSW Origin coach & must appear supportive.
But you know, I guess you need to gain solace from wherever you can. It must be hard to remain upbeat with a turd like Bitches in your side.

myrrh ken

First Grade
As a Penrith junior, Brad Fittler despised Western Sydney rivals Parramatta. Not anymore.

The NSW State of Origin coach has singled out the Eels as his treasure chest for the Blues with up to seven Parramatta players on his radar for this year’s series.

And remarkably, Fittler has included a 115kg 19-year-old forward who has never played NRL — and who reminds him of Test forward David Klemmer — as part of his blue and gold ensemble.

Watch the 2020 NRL Nines tournament LIVE & On-Demand on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

481093ee9292ff5d80ef727dc67e2c7b
Fittler and Kevin Walters launch Origin 2020 at Adelaide Oval. Photo: Mark Brake/Getty Images)
Not since 1983 have the Eels boasted more than five players in an Origin match for NSW, but Fittler has declared 2020 could be a historic season for Brad Arthur’s side.

MORE IN
Rugby raid: Rabbitohs’ bid to keep teen sensation from Wallabies
Rugby raid: Rabbitohs’ bid to keep teen sensation from

similars

Fittler nominated Parramatta’s outstanding crop of talent including Mitchell Moses, Ryan Matterson, Clint Gutherson, Regan Campbell-Gillard, Nathan Brown, rookie Stefano Utoikamanu and incumbent winger Blake Fergsuon as genuine contenders for the Blues this year.

b59bdb2b0fc09ee24a51585ebdd10931
Ray Price, Peter Sterling, Brett Kenny, Mick Cronin, Steve Ella, Eric Grothe and Neil Hunt after their selection in NSW team in 1983.
“Parramatta, they’re the team we’re looking out for,’’ Fittler said in Adelaide on Tuesday.

Never one to stop short of giving his most honest assessment, the Blues coach used the launch of ticket sales for Origin I, which will be played at Adelaide Oval on June 3, to outline the Eels prospects.

“Obviously there’s Mitchell (Moses), Ryan (Matterson), Gutho (Gutherson) was a big part of our team last year — he was 18th man for a couple of games — and Reagan Campbell-Gillard has gone there now.

“He made such a big impact, but broke his jaw not long after his [Origin] game (in 2018).’’

Campbell-Gillard has spoken this week about his number one goal being a return to the Origin arena.

Fittler said Ferguson was superb in the Blues’ series win over Queensland last year. But it’s 115kg teenager Utoikamanu that Fittler reserved special mention.

cb0a097db6d2b92adbdac4701b67aa5f
Eels rookie forward Stefano Utoikamanu could be a Blues bolter. Photo: Benjamin Cuevas
“There’s a lot of talk about young Stefano Utoikamanu,’’ Fittler said.

“I’ve been a part of all the [NSW] pathways and watched Stefano come through, so I’m really looking forward to seeing how he evolves. He had a couple of bad injuries.

“He’s like a (David) Klemmer, Payne (Hass), maybe not as mobile as Payne, but he’s a good player. He was the best player as they were coming through.’’

A club record eight Parramatta players represented NSW in Origin II in 1983 — Mick Cronin, Steve Ella, Eric Grothe, Neil Hunt, Stan Jurd, Brett Kenny and Ray Price.

Fittler said his insight into the Eels’ ability to dominate NSW Origin selection was due to the acute insight he had received from close friend and NSW assistant coach Andrew Johns, who is also a member of the blue and gold coaching staff.

his could be Moses’s year to shine for NSW. Photo: Matt King/Getty Images
MORE NEWS

Australia’s shock selection calls for South Africa tour

NBL unbowed: Kings owner’s wasted words

“I spoke to [Johns on Monday],’’ Fittler said. “And he was talking about a few different players. He was talking about Dylan Brown because he does a lot with him, but he said Mitchell (Moses) looks fantastic.’’

Fittler said the key to the Blues’ ability to repel an Origin series fightback from the Maroons would be drawn from the success of not only Parramatta in 2020, but each of the eight Sydney-based teams.

“A big reason we have evolved is the fact that two years ago the Sydney teams started to win,’’ Fittler said.

“St George Illawarra did really well, Penrith, Manly, Cronulla and Parramatta did well and of course, the Roosters. That’s what I want to see.’’

2 in a row and we're already sick of winning.

Latest posts