What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Super League

adamkungl

Immortal
Warrington were nothing short of brilliant.
Defence roaming in vicious packs smashing anything that moved, Austin and Ratchford pulling out everything in their bag of tricks to keep St Helens stretched thin. Clark the linchpin of it all and getting the first try to turn the tide. BMM and Philbin really hammering home Walmsley's absence with top notch performances. Hill off on suspension didn't slow them down an inch.

On the other hand, St Helens were already suffering on the injury front but the loss of Walmsley in the warm-up and Percival mid-game were too much to handle. With players out of position all over the shop, Warrington's fast paced offload game really unsettled them and took a lot of sting out of their defence. Fages and Grace might be their most dangerous backs but I feel like the 2 of them don't get involved enough when the momentum isn't going their way. Lomax of course was involved in everything and was a constant threat until the end. Thompson, Lees, Taia put good efforts in but it wasn't enough to stop the blue and yellow tide.

Hot take time - the return of Gareth Widdop at halfback will not improve Warrington. The Ratchford-Austin combination is hugely effective. Widdop's playmaking ability is severely overrated.
Widdop should come in at fullback, unfortunately at the expense of the exciting Matty Ashton. But he's only 21 and can slot in anywhere in the backline when opportunities come up.

3 points, hard to go past Blake Austin. Just constantly had the defence guessing, high involvement, strong kicking.
2 points Ratchford, just as good.
1 to D Clark
but it could easily have been BMM, Philbin, Currie

Also gotta say, the 5 games I've watched so far have all been great, with big crowds and quality rugby. Really enthusiastic start to the season in England. Pity the dopey clubs have spent the last 2 weeks drawing self-inflicted negative attention with their sooking about Folau.

adamkungl

Immortal
Unfortunately only one more televised game this week with the Hull derby tomorrow.
Pity, 4 last week was brilliant.

JFK Files

Juniors
I wouldn’t drop Ashton when Widdop comes back but it’s a great opportunity to rotate the backs with such a long season. I’d rest them individually to keep them fresh & hungry.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Unfortunately only one more televised game this week with the Hull derby tomorrow.
Pity, 4 last week was brilliant.
Cannot believe beinsports ditched Catalans games. Bizarre decision, particularly in hindsight with the Folau drama

JFK Files

Juniors
When Widdop is fit possibly next week, I’d start Ratchford from the bench where he is a perfect utility player and at 32 yo it won’t do any harm at all.

adamkungl

Immortal
Cannot believe beinsports ditched Catalans games. Bizarre decision, particularly in hindsight with the Folau drama

The next TV deal for SL will be interesting
Maybe they should be watching the Super Rugby dealings with some interest. Similar situations. Fringe spot unlikely to beat their current deal, but matching their current deal gives them no opportunity to grow. Streaming services coming into prominence.

Would be great to see
3 games a week televised every week, on a consistent timeslot schedule.
1 SL game a week on Free TV - necessary to grow the game.
Catalans and TWP games all guaranteed in their home countries.

They need to take some risks I think but the financial balance is definitely tricky.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The key will be to get a game or two on FTA without seeing significant reduction on Sky sports contract. Game will go nowhere until it is on national FTA every week.

I pay a subscription of about $100 a year to HullKRTV and get to see every game on 2 day delay. I'd gladly double it if I could watch them live.

adamkungl

Immortal
The key will be to get a game or two on FTA without seeing significant reduction on Sky sports contract. Game will go nowhere until it is on national FTA every week.

I pay a subscription of about $100 a year to HullKRTV and get to see every game on 2 day delay. I'd gladly double it if I could watch them live.

The problem with the Sky contract is they hold all the cards but will only commit to 2 a week.
In theory, if they're only showing 2, they shouldn't care if someone else broadcasts the others. But they do. It's a shit deal.

Their spine is just garbage. SBW might bring more attention but going after Maloney and Sezer would bring more success
The problem with the Sky contract is they hold all the cards but will only commit to 2 a week.
In theory, if they're only showing 2, they shouldn't care if someone else broadcasts the others. But they do. It's a shit deal.
Yeah, got to get off Sky IMO.

TDD91

Juniors
Looks like a good number on at Cas tonight, no obvious spaces in the stands. Pleased to see Harry Smith making his first career start for Wigan in the halves.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Good to see double movements are allowed in the super league this year......Hull KR’s first try against Hull FC

TDD91

Juniors
Cas’ 16 v Wigan 12.

Cas were the better team all night really, their props stood up and did a much better job than the Wigan pack, bar possibly Byrne. Liam Farrell was surprisingly poor for Wigan IMO, we tried to play one out rugby with a younger smaller pack and funnily enough it didn't work. Harry Smith had a good game and arguably outshone Jackson Hastings. Bevan French was the only real spark Wigan had, but we never really tried using him. Wigan were undisciplined, but part of that was down to the ref who was frequently swayed by the home fans, including a very dubious knock on call that lead to the 2nd Cas try.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hearing Wigan are playing Hardaker in the centres and French at fullback?
Hard to see Lam's logic here. He's trying to fit 4 into 3 and wasting Zak as a result. He offers nothing at centre.
Stick to basics, Hardaker fullback, Hastings halfback, French and Smith can fight it out for the other half spot.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hull derby was good. Another big crowd and another high quality game.
HKR really stood up to their more fancied opposition and all looked to be going against the script until Ellis hit the posts and Hull FC scored up the other end.
Also an early nomination for try of the season from KR. Highlights well worth a watch.

3 - Sneyd with another polished performance. His ability to take every opportunity that comes is ultimately the difference here while his opposites were too hit and miss.
2 - Griffin. Big game. A few linebreaks down the left edge, big strong and fast.
1 - Kenny-Dowall. Liked his contributions. High involvement and dangerous both running and passing. Had 2 or 3 touches in their highlight try.

TDD91

Juniors
Hearing Wigan are playing Hardaker in the centres and French at fullback?
Hard to see Lam's logic here. He's trying to fit 4 into 3 and wasting Zak as a result. He offers nothing at centre.
Stick to basics, Hardaker fullback, Hastings halfback, French and Smith can fight it out for the other half spot.

French isn't being involved enough in set plays to move Hardaker IMO. Joe Burgess has had a slow start to the season as well, so personally I'd put French on the wing until Manfredi is at full fitness then have French & Hankinson compete for the centre spot.

wibble

Bench
Hull derby was good. Another big crowd and another high quality game.
HKR really stood up to their more fancied opposition and all looked to be going against the script until Ellis hit the posts and Hull FC scored up the other end.
Also an early nomination for try of the season from KR. Highlights well worth a watch.

3 - Sneyd with another polished performance. His ability to take every opportunity that comes is ultimately the difference here while his opposites were too hit and miss.
2 - Griffin. Big game. A few linebreaks down the left edge, big strong and fast.
1 - Kenny-Dowall. Liked his contributions. High involvement and dangerous both running and passing. Had 2 or 3 touches in their highlight try.

Cracker of a game. That missed penalty goal was a game changer, but Hull KR played well, including that awesome try. Sneyd is looking top shelf this year, and Griffin was a monster. I still like what I saw from Savelio, he has some talent.

Latest posts