What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell Mitchell Signs

Legion

Juniors
Yeah I mean look at what Hayne did to the titans. They looked like they were going to have a good year before Hayne came. They haven’t been the same since he’s left. He doesn’t make teams better he seems to make them worse. Completely opposite to your Maloney’s or Ennis’.

What I think also separates Latrell from Hayne is his love for his heritage. I imagine he would want nothing more than to be a role model for young indigenous players coming through the NRL. I just don’t see the dickhead inside of him like I do with some players. He’s a bit too competitive on the field which sometimes comes off as grubby but that’s fine with me.

Every school has the 'star' athlete. We had one [except he was a top bloke, not a dickhead]
Whenever the male teachers caught their 'star' up to no good, the attitude was 'What a scallywag. Boys will be boys hahaha' and all is forgiven. [When we were caught doing the same thing, we'd get 6 of the best] Excuses were always made. He could do no wrong.
[Sadly, he gave me a lift one night when I was 16yo. At the last minute I decided to ask him to drop me off so I could drop in on a mate. He took off & ran into a telegraph pole around the corner dying instantly. Had I not got out, I would've also died]

Hayne always had people making excuses for him. Remember when he debuted in the SOO & he threw a ball in-field that was about to go over the sideline, gifting a try & a win to Qld?
The very next day his mother, his MUMMY, is plastered over the front or back page saying 'Stop picking on my poor little Jarryd'. FFS.
That I sense was the story of his life, people making excuses for him when he fell short or was out of line.

He was so naturally gifted, not to mention a big strong unit, that everything came too easily for him. Hayne just drifted along, taking it easy.
It's well reported that he's a bludger at training plus he was a sulker. Imagine the effect that had on his teammates, especially younger players.
Did coaches go easy on him? Idk but I reckon that his laziness was the root of his toxicity, especially at the Titans. He only went there for the $$$. A quick pay day. [Hanging out with freeloading thugs can't come cheap. All that grog, cocaine & the strippers aint paying for itself]

As you say, Mitchell has his family & community around him.
Everyone is saying the same thing re; needing to be superfit so we can be sure that would be Bennett & the trainers focus. Interesting to see how quickly he shapes up. All that running at FB will help, lol.

Now it's wait & see.

Legion

Juniors
lucky we got him dirt cheap and can dump him at the end of this season if it don't work out.
You got him for a bargain. As @Souths Till I Die said, it's a rebuilding year for Souths so LM has plenty of time to make a go of it.

Let's say for argument sake, that he doesn't make it at FB. In that event the Bunnies are in the box seat to negotiate for a contract paying him to play at centre.
If he does really well then he negotiates a contract for FB money.

That's why he got offered a years contract to start, just to see how he goes.

Unless he gets offered silly money to go to RU, I can't see him leaving Souths.

Travitoh

First Grade
what about AJ he was playing some good football at fullback at the start of last season till he got injured

AJ has also played some pretty average footy at FB. His best attribute at 1 imo is that he seems to bring the best out of Cody when he's there.

AJ has also played some pretty average footy at FB. His best attribute at 1 imo is that he seems to bring the best out of Cody when he's there.
having to watch AJ at the back with his speed means opposition players take there eye of Cody a little and then he pounces. With AD at the back the def just watched Cody and shut him down as they knew AD is not all that fast and they could shut him down if he got involved.

Travitoh

First Grade
having to watch AJ at the back with his speed means opposition players take there eye of Cody a little and then he pounces. With AD at the back the def just watched Cody and shut him down as they knew AD is not all that fast and they could shut him down if he got involved.

It's the way AJ links up to create an overlap that brings the best out of Cody.
Something I'd hoped Doueihi would get the opportunity to work on in preseason and now hope Latrell is doing just that.

Twice in AJ's career he has been the starting FB only to be replaced by someone playing out of position. That speaks a lot about his credentials at the back imo.

It's the way AJ links up to create an overlap that brings the best out of Cody.
Something I'd hoped Doueihi would get the opportunity to work on in preseason and now hope Latrell is doing just that.

Twice in AJ's career he has been the starting FB only to be replaced by someone playing out of position. That speaks a lot about his credentials at the back imo.

i dont want AJ at the back either im just saying if LM dose not work out it wont be the end of the world as we have a half decent guy that can play there.

Travitoh

First Grade
i dont want AJ at the back either im just saying if LM dose not work out it wont be the end of the world as we have a half decent guy that can play there.

Fair enough. I would prefer Gagai tbh. Similar attributes in attack to AJ but a stronger kick returner.

Legion

Juniors
Fair enough. I would prefer Gagai tbh. Similar attributes in attack to AJ but a stronger kick returner.
My impression of Gagai is that he plays nowhere near the same level of intensity for Souths as he plays for Qld.
Does playing alongside rep players bring out his best, is it an attitude thing or a bit of both?

Legion

Juniors
Would just like to post the first official Latrell is training the house down puff piece :joy:. In all seriousness though 6kg is awesome.

The Twitter link doesn't work for me [one needs to have a Twatter account first?]

You did say in an earlier post that LM only needs to lose 5kg.
If he's lost 6kg then it shows that he's taking it seriously. If he's lost most of it through training then that's a good sign regarding his fitness.

Never before can I remember looking forward to watching a player from another team with such interest.
The round 3 game against Easts in particular. It will be a cracker.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
The Twitter link doesn't work for me [one needs to have a Twatter account first?]

You did say in an earlier post that LM only needs to lose 5kg.
If he's lost 6kg then it shows that he's taking it seriously. If he's lost most of it through training then that's a good sign regarding his fitness.

Never before can I remember looking forward to watching a player from another team with such interest.
The round 3 game against Easts in particular. It will be a cracker.

I think that’s probably possible it was basically just a skit with Cookie talking about the 9’s and then being asked a question about Latrell. Cookie said “yeah he’s looking really good he’s lost about 6 kilos and after the weights training he’s always staying back and doing extra cardio”. That’s a good sign!

I think Latrell is probably excited to play fullback more than anything. He’s been pretty open about wanting that opportunity for a long time and I think he’s the kind of person to work hard to become great. I know people have this perception he’s lazy but he didn’t become the centre he was by being lazy.
i heard Andrew Webster on 2KY BSB this morning say he was out at Redfern yesterday and saw Latrell, and that he looks seriously good. Said if that's fat, he wants to look like that lol

That is good news because I think that’s what the biggest concern was. Now it’s just about learning to play fullback but who better to coach you than the great Greg Inglis? From all reports Greg has been very involved at training.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
My impression of Gagai is that he plays nowhere near the same level of intensity for Souths as he plays for Qld.
Does playing alongside rep players bring out his best, is it an attitude thing or a bit of both?

I agree that he has been underwhelming but i also believe that he has spent the majority of his Souths career out of position.

Spot On

Coach

Great players simply make others look better than they really are. Gagai has benefitted from the end of the great QLD era and backline. Been horrible the past 2 series though since the great ones have moved on. No one there to put the ball on his chest with 20m of nothing but space in front of him.

Shown true form in firsts since he debuted - generally poor.

Never been any different. He is a winger who is not a first grade standard defender. Embarrassingly poor too often. Souths found the trick with him in defence before Bennett arrived, putting up the high ball on the 5th for Gags to race through and tackle the player catching the ball as he landed on the ground. It became a stock standard end to sets in certain parts of the field for them. Not even Gags could miss that tackle.

Wayne took 5 seconds to work out Souths had no centres and banished him to the wing. Bought in a centre from Brissy who could not stay off the grog and wheeled out another with a chronic hammy injury (Burns)to takeover from him.

Gags can run a bit but isn't real quick. Has a decent pass which is a skill some outside backs do not have so kudos to him there.

Is on massive, massive overs and Souths have to stomach that as no club will take that contract on.

Last edited: