What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I just felt Bueton is a better prospect. Luai reminded me of Te Mari Martin.

On RCG - Training house down and looking good. Big year ahead I feel for the guy.

Training has never been an issue for RCG, his issues have all been since he busted his head.

Hopefully a fresh club gives him some confidence to run hard and tackle hard.

I’d love to see him back at his best, even for the Eels. Only time will tell if he can do it.

OldPanther

Coach
David Fitita got off lightly so did Sam Burgess with the phone scandal. To any outsider it seems to be different rules for different clubs.

NAS got 4 weeks belting guys
Reynolds same charge as Walker. One can play one had to wait

It is who you are compared to what the crime is

Circumstances are different in both. May involved women while Fifita and NAS didn't. In Reynolds case there's strong evidence he's being targeted by the woman if the stories are to be believed.

franklin2323

Immortal
Circumstances are different in both. May involved women while Fifita and NAS didn't. In Reynolds case there's strong evidence he's being targeted by the woman if the stories are to be believed.

Still was news for a week or so the footage of him belting them.
Wasn’t the whole idea not make a judgement on guilt before the court case? The fact she likely made them up should play no part in it or else why have the rule?

OldPanther

Coach
Don't forget he also has to do the 300 Hrs community service and has a 3 year three-year community corrections order which if broken may land him in jail.

Yeah. That's from the court. I'm not a fan of him being punished again by the NRL though I don't know if most workplaces would do the same.

OldPanther

Coach
Still was news for a week or so the footage of him belting them.
Wasn’t the whole idea not make a judgement on guilt before the court case? The fact she likely made them up should play no part in it or else why have the rule?

Mitigating circumstances has been a thing since the beginning of time. Do you mean Reynolds belting? The footage didn't show that.

OldPanther

Coach
No NAS belting those guys.
The footage comes out gets those other guys contact Reynolds now not stood down

NAS was proven to be self defense.

I do admit it seems contradictory to withstand down Reynolds. For the sake of running the process correctly he should've been.

OldPanther

Coach
You know I am against the No Fault Standown BUT the rule is in place so should apply to all cases or none.

I was sort of against it but understood the need for something like it with the NRL being dependant on public opinion and that it wasn't meant to be a punishment. The fact May's time out has been considered means the no fault stand down is actually a punishment and has pushed me to the position of being firmly against it as it means innocent people ARE being punished by the precedent set with this case.

kinghippo

Juniors
The absolute glacial nature of our legal system is another factor that dosnt help the standown policy.
Basically everything that would flag a stand down is going to give a player at least 6 months to a year off, before being proven guilty.
Actually getting to trial without at least one adjournment seems to be impossible.

The NRL can’t get a head high tackle right at the judicatory and now have the power to destroy someone’s career without the input of the courts.
The Reynolds case highlights 2 massive problems,
1: players will be easy targets for blackmail, and
2: the NRL can be easily influenced as to their decision making.

Reynolds has been charged, he should have been instantly stood down, as should have Sivo, but because Reynolds and the papers said the woman involved is CRAZY he gets special treatment, the same for Sivo because it happened in a different country.

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Sorry Luke. I meant to say that every 2nd game, he has to go off with an injury. I obviously went off track when I wrote that.

I know he has health issues and that would obviously effect his price, but he played 24 games and averaged 73 minutes a game, so 2019 can’t have been that bad.

MugaB

Coach
I notice the RLPA wants to appeal it. 28 games is a huge punishment
I assume its a full season plus finals,
(Had we made the finals)
If say cooper cronk had a punishment similarly to Tyrone May, he would have sit out for the 24 games and potential 4 finals games, if they just said you off for 24 games cooper would of course playing the finals, hence we should have made the finals last year to lessen Mays sentence, i see this as the standard length punishment for guilty behavior, serving 28 weeks or double if its more seasons

OldPanther

Coach
I assume its a full season plus finals,
(Had we made the finals)
If say cooper cronk had a punishment similarly to Tyrone May, he would have sit out for the 24 games and potential 4 finals games, if they just said you off for 24 games cooper would of course playing the finals, hence we should have made the finals last year to lessen Mays sentence, i see this as the standard length punishment for guilty behavior, serving 28 weeks or double if its more seasons

Problem is they said in their statement about it when implemented that it wasn't a judgement on guilt so by using it as time served they are contradicting themselves. Now I'm glad we get May back and think he's had enough punishment but the governing body can't stick to their word as usual.

kinghippo

Juniors
I wonder what would happen if a player is off contract during their stand down.

They wouldn’t be able to sign a new contract and would stop being payed.

If they were then found not guilty it would be pretty rough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts