What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack DeBelin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, it appears no JDB for our 2020 season, unless whatever the legal arguements can be resolved over the weekend, and no use speculating on what they could be as they could be applied to both prosecution and defense.

The issue should now turn to a replacement in the top 30 squad and salary relief from the NRL.

The problem here is 2 fold:
1. Finding a replacement like for like. I guess Merrins signing was seen to be just that. Wether he plays lock is another thing.
2. JDB is/was on $550k with the majority taken up by the $300k long serving player allowance ie: $250k from actual salary cap.

The only light here is that his $300k shouls be able to be used on another player ie Frizell (i believe he qualifies now) which would assist in keeping him at the Dragons. As far as the 250k well that could be used in many ways, such as promoting some of the DS players, which is my preferred option (Clune and Sullivan come to mind). This would allow players such as Ramsay and Gale ti he tied up further in our system by promoting then to the DS.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
So, it appears no JDB for our 2020 season, unless whatever the legal arguements can be resolved over the weekend, and no use speculating on what they could be as they could be applied to both prosecution and defense.

The issue should now turn to a replacement in the top 30 squad and salary relief from the NRL.

1. Finding a replacement like for like. I guess Merrins signing was seen to be just that. Wether he plays lock is another thing.
2. JDB is/was on $550k with the majority taken up by the $300k long serving player allowance ie: $250k from actual salary cap.

The only light here is that his $300k shouls be able to be used on another player ie Frizell (i believe he qualifies now) which would assist in keeping him at the Dragons. As far as the 250k well that could be used in many ways, such as promoting some of the DS players, which is my preferred option (Clune and Sullivan come to mind). This would allow players such as Ramsay and Gale ti he tied up further in our system by promoting then to the DS.

It will be very interesting to see how genuine the nrl are and how they handle this matter.
They bent over backwards to help Souths and the Rorters.
Last year, they did squat to assist us.

Hopefully, with a new speaking CEO onboard sooner, rather than later, we can have a voice.

BennyV

Referee
Watch out I feel an "idiot" response coming on.
I wonder if Timmay can find the relevance in that.
I’d say he’s gunning for some sort of ‘gotcha’ moment, as if one needs to have been involved in a high profile criminal case in order to know that judges in our legal system are required to act without bias or prejudice of any sort.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

It's a blow to JDB and the Dragons- but probably a bigger blow to the NRL who are facing multiple cases of questionable stand downs (eg Josh Reynolds) which threaten to bite them in the backside and in the case of De Belin a major legal action if he's found innocent.

As far as Trent Merrin is concerned, he was a unique player (at his best- doubt he is still there) and don't really know if he was recruited to cover for anyone in particular. With his footwork, he was probably more skillful at the line in attack than De Belin but don't recall his defence as being all that flash. Mary probably has the choice of using him at 8, 10 or 13 and no doubt will pick the wrong option.

Old Timer

Coach
It's a blow to JDB and the Dragons- but probably a bigger blow to the NRL who are facing multiple cases of questionable stand downs (eg Josh Reynolds) which threaten to bite them in the backside and in the case of De Belin a major legal action if he's found innocent.

As far as Trent Merrin is concerned, he was a unique player (at his best- doubt he is still there) and don't really know if he was recruited to cover for anyone in particular. With his footwork, he was probably more skillful at the line in attack than De Belin but don't recall his defence as being all that flash. Mary probably has the choice of using him at 8, 10 or 13 and no doubt will pick the wrong option.

De Belin never was nor ever will be that good a player that our club should sit on its hands for 1 entire season waiting for an outcome for trouble of his own making let alone 2 seasons.
All this codswallop about our season being over without him just indicates how underwhelming our internal promotion / coaching and external recruitment really is.
As some others have said the good clubs lose key players for extended periods and just get on about their business and move onwards and upwards but oh no not StGI we go into the foetal position and suck our thumbs.
De Belin is merely 1 player out of a 30 player squad but did we do anything about developing g a regular No 13 as a replacement in CC? No not us we had every bloke and his dog lining up at 13 in CC as well as 1st grade.
Another cop out and even more excuse making coming up from our club and fan base.
We are just f**king dumb for ever allowing ourselves to be in this mess and beholding to 1 player as it certainly didn't happen even when we were at the height of our powers because if you didn't perform or like it piss off we already have someone capable of parking his arse in your spot.
Frizzell to lock and work out the RHS edge and get on with life and see ya later Jack.
The worst thing of all is that they consistently pointed to DeBelin's absence as the main reason for last year's demise.
Waiting at the steps of the courthouse in desperation for a player who is engaged in a very serious legal battle.
This farcical behaviour by the club has extended into 2020 with February being the new window of hope where by JDB would finally be available to play.
Now that has been transformed into another season lost with regards to De Belin.
What will happen at training? Will DeBelin continue to train with the squad?
I have never seen anything like it. Ludricous.

Dragonsamy

Bench

Spot on re Frizell he does qualify and would be entitled to it.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Even if if Jack get of, he hasn't play for Just on two years by then. I doubt he will ever be the player was. If he is not guilty.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
What ever happened to the rule that justice must be served in a timely manor. Don't ask me the legal term for it. If JDB is innocent this would be an absolute nightmare for him. Even though he made SOO status he was still improving and on the verge of being a very special player. Now with 2019 gone and probably 2020 he may never fulfill his potential.

TruSaint

Referee
What ever happened to the rule that justice must be served in a timely manor. Don't ask me the legal term for it. If JDB is innocent this would be an absolute nightmare for him. Even though he made SOO status he was still improving and on the verge of being a very special player. Now with 2019 gone and probably 2020 he may never fulfill his potential.

People go through this every day.
Legal battles take time and money. The fact that he is a footy player for a team we support is only relevant here. Complex cases can take years. He has the benefit of affording good counsel.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
The worst thing of all is that they consistently pointed to DeBelin's absence as the main reason for last year's demise.
Waiting at the steps of the courthouse in desperation for a player who is engaged in a very serious legal battle.
This farcical behaviour by the club has extended into 2020 with February being the new window of hope where by JDB would finally be available to play.
Now that has been transformed into another season lost with regards to De Belin.
What will happen at training? Will DeBelin continue to train with the squad?
I have never seen anything like it. Ludricous.

Bang on, DP.
Sadly, the JDB situation has only ever been an excuse for our once great club.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
People go through this every day.
Legal battles take time and money. The fact that he is a footy player for a team we support is only relevant here. Complex cases can take years. He has the benefit of affording good counsel.

In a much lessor situation as mentioned above, as a 1st year apprentice back in 78, l too have experienced the law as to having a case extended, then extended and extended again until l was basically forced to accept a lessor final outcome than what was proposed and should of been.
The law can works in ways, that many of us are unfairly acknowledged and compensated............ fact.

The so called truth,comes at a price that many can't afford.

My life experiences have lead me down the road of realising that true justice from a legal aspect is just a myth. Money talks, shallow pockets walk.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
In a much lessor situation as mentioned above, as a 1st year apprentice back in 78, l too have experienced the law as to having a case extended, then extended and extended again until l was basically forced to accept a lessor final outcome than what was proposed and should of been.
The law can works in ways, that many of us are unfairly acknowledged and compensated............ fact.

The so called truth,comes at a price that many can't afford.

My life experiences have lead me down the road of realising that true justice from a legal aspect is just a myth. Money talks, shallow pockets walk.
Ain't that the truth,in every country

Status
Not open for further replies.