What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Squad

Tiger05

First Grade
No way we get rid of Packer, Reynolds and Mybe without us paying a large amount of the salary.
No one will touch Reynolds till Greenberg makes a decision on whether he can play or not.

Unfortunately I agree with you. I reckon Mbye can play. I think he is probably overpaid however the Dogs were subsidising his salary so I'm not that concerned.

super_coach

First Grade
Sadly Packer and Reynolds are a big anchor on our cap as both are contracted till the end of 21. It’s through no fault of their own, they rightly jumped at the four year deals being offered.
Near impossible to offload them as ESL doesn’t seem to be a option and without probably wearing well over half the freight no NRL club would touch them.
Sad to think we probably have 1.5 mil tired up in these two players. Certainly puts us at a disadvantage.
The good news McQueen is off our books at the end of this year

gordynz

Juniors
That so many people have Eisenhuth in their starting 13 let alone side at all is a huge surprise to me. I think he has been a massive disappointment the past 18 months. He is a huge body but Waddles to the line like Woods, no real offload and I’ve never seen him pull off a decent hit in his life. Depth at absolute best for mine.
I actually don't rate him at all, he's really only good for tackling and playing big minutes. If we have a better option then i'm all for it.

A lock these days is a glorified prop that plays for 80 minutes so if one of our big boys in the front row want to solidify a spot in the team, I suggest getting extremely fit and nailing that spot down.

gordynz

Juniors
100% agree Gordy,

My view is that Twal should play lock, gives us three props on the field and he goes 80 mins.
Madge could seriously make that work. Historically, he loves a big pack, our boys might not be as mobile as the pack he had at Souths but I can see it working.

Stick with me here. Aloiai, Mikaele, Musgrove and potentially Clark/Packer are likely to be given 40minute stints with our lock (Twal) likely playing all 80. Depending on who best fits the bill, we could use one of those 40min players in a rotation with Twal playing 60mins each. I can see this sort of concept giving us great go forward, I just hope we can conserve energy for defense.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Really interested to see how Mikale develops this year. I reckon him and Twal should be starting Props. They compliment eachother very well and have nowhere to go but upwards.

Vic Mackey

Referee
So there was an opposed training session today of probables v possibles. Apparently this was the probables (I’m unaware of anyone was injured/absent)

1. Thompson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Leilua
4. Mbye
5. Jennings
6. Marshall
7. Brooks
8. Twal
9. Walters
10. Mikaele
11. Leluia
12. Garner
13. Aloiai

Vic Mackey

Referee
That starting pack looks brutal. I reckon Aloiai is more effective off the bench though

Will be interesting the final make up of the team. I dare say the middle rotation of props/lock/bench will all play fairly similar minutes.

It’s a shame Douiehi came in so late in the piece, it wouldn’t surprise me if he starts the year from the bench with us, particularly if Mbye is in the centers (who would give the hooker a rest and AD into the backline).

The longer the loan saga drags out the less I think it will happen. We’re only 5 weeks out from round 1, we can’t have half of our spine do less then half a pre season with us.

Tiger05

First Grade
It's a good looking team without Douiehi in it. Surely he is going to play a role this season. I like our pack and the backline. The problem is our 9 and it's a critical position. I hope that doesn't cost us.

super_coach

First Grade
AD will be no1 round one. The club did not spend the last four months trying to buy a no1 to play him off the bench. With the trade looking in danger of collapse, Momo in the centre and Moses M to no9 and Reynolds on the bench

stryker

First Grade
So there was an opposed training session today of probables v possibles. Apparently this was the probables (I’m unaware of anyone was injured/absent)

1. Thompson
2. Nofoaluma
3. Leilua
4. Mbye
5. Jennings
6. Marshall
7. Brooks
8. Twal
9. Walters
10. Mikaele
11. Leluia
12. Garner
13. Aloiai

Not an attractive side for a premiership tilt wager is it?
Ho hum.another year of footy i guess..

Vic Mackey

Referee
Not an attractive side for a premiership tilt wager is it?
Ho hum.another year of footy i guess..

I doubt any of our fans are expecting to win the competition this year. However I do think the squad we have is top 8 material and if we can finally have some stability off the field over the next 2-3 years then the likes of Talau/Simpkins/Cini get to the level they’re expected too and we add 1 or 2 Rep level players a decent tilt at it is very feasible.

Maguire took a Souths squad that had made the finals once in 20 years to a Premiership within 3 years. I’m willing to give him the first year as a mulligan as he came in once the pre season had already commenced. So by 2022, yes I do think it’s totally possible.

Tigerm

First Grade
I doubt any of our fans are expecting to win the competition this year. However I do think the squad we have is top 8 material and if we can finally have some stability off the field over the next 2-3 years then the likes of Talau/Simpkins/Cini get to the level they’re expected too and we add 1 or 2 Rep level players a decent tilt at it is very feasible.

Maguire took a Souths squad that had made the finals once in 20 years to a Premiership within 3 years. I’m willing to give him the first year as a mulligan as he came in once the pre season had already commenced. So by 2022, yes I do think it’s totally possible.
For WT fans a top 8 this season is a pass surely. I think (hope) we can go top 4 if every one can stay healthy for the important games. For me Packer is the key forward leader we have been missing. I assume he will be playing.
Barring Moses (if he's selected again) I don't think we have any SOO players to worry about, so hopefully that will help us with continuity & consistency.

super_coach

First Grade
You would think we should end up around 6th with some luck, but there are always teams that over achieve and others that under achieve. I know I harp on about it, but outside all the usual things like injuries and bad calls..how our no9 performs will dictate how our season goes to some extent

If that slug Jennings is in the team well than I hope he has picked up his fitness and attitude because he was nothing but sh#t last season.

Tiger05

First Grade
Nope. Im not even sure we'll play finals.

To be honest neither am I. I think we are a better team than last year but that doesn't mean we make the finals. The comp looks more even to me. I think if we play to our ability we can beat most teams in the comp but I don't think we will be a consistent team.

I still like the way we are building this team. We look like a team that will be picked for bottom of the table but we may surprise teams and make the finals.